amd fx 8350 disscussion

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@vickybat,
no offence bro but whatever strong Intel is it should have been shown in those benchmarks and in that linux benchmark 8350 looses to 3770k only in 2 or 3 tests and perform equally or better in others.even if it performs equally it is winner because of the price difference between them.if i am not wrong and if suppose linux was the main os of major population then intel might had hard time going with AMD.they might have won the battle but still the difference would have been less than 5%.in microsoft money talks over innovation but thats not the case in linux.

Out of 24 benchmarks , 3770k(stock) was ahead in 17 benchmarks and 8350 (stock) was ahead in the rest i.e 7 benches and those consisted of a linux kernel compilation (a difference of 4 secs), GraphicsMagick ( won by a margin in sharpen but lost significantly in blur and resize), C-ray( linux raytracing benchmark) it won by 10 secs but majority of ray tracing is done under windows and cinebench is an example which is widely used. Its optimized for intel compiler. The only bench that 8350 did well was john the ripper blowfish benchmark and traditionally, amd cpu's do well in this test.

Then we have parallel zip file compression where 8350 has less than a sec lead. Then the x264 encoder again with a marginal lead by piledriver.
Finally one of 4 NAS benchmarks favours piledriver ( computational benchmark written in fortran).

Now come to 3770k. In the rest 17 benchmarks its ahead and in some, it has a big margin. Come to 3d rendering bench (TTSIOD). It has a lead of 15 frames.
Another complex test called FFTE saw amd perform poorly. Not even in contention. In the database search benchmark, 8350 @ 4.6ghz just failed to beat a 3770k in stock!.

Coming to scientific tests like himmono (poisson pressure calculation), amd is simply blown away by the sheer computational ability akin to the efficient IU and FPU of intel.
Same goes for the other two fluid dynamics benchmarks. Even in other encoding benchmarks like opus and ffmpeg ,3770k was ahead at stock.

So there you have it. Its not like piledriver performs great under linux but does a fairly good job. Besides, its not completely due to scheduling. Amd has been optimizing their compiler for benches like john the ripper. Intel does that for apps under windows which matters more from a productive point of view ( leaving the server market aside as its completely different). You can clearly see that intel too does well under linux and overall is a superior performer (17 against 7) and overall is a superior processor when price is no bar. And know this, overclocking the 3770k to even 4.2ghz (from 3.5ghz), the performance jump is significant coz it responds to clocks better due to an efficient pipeline design with better solution against hazards (will get into details later). Scheduling has very little to do here.

That said and done, i would still suggest the fx 8350 to a budget buyer who wants a piece of everything at a pricepoint be windows or linux. Its a better buy than 3570k due to its better multitasking ability at similar or even cheaper pricepoint. But for a guy who does 3d rendering and all the productive stuff with no budget restrictions, there is simply no alternative to the 3770k again be it windows or linux.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
for a guy who does 3d rendering and all the productive stuff with no budget restrictions, there is simply no alternative to the 3770k again be it windows or linux

3960X is more appropriate there :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Hey yeah, i forgot that one. :) That's in a whole new level though when it comes to sheer computation multitasking.

P.S - Guys i'm a bit off these days with a lot of personal problems to deal with and that's why i'm unable to share that article which i'm preparing. Will try my best to complete within a week.
Cilus will review it and maybe i need a bit of help from him because of his very good knowledge on computer science. Although i have an electronics background, he has been the driving force pushing me always to explore the beautiful world of computer science and learn some powerful concepts. I really owe him big time.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
The bad news for now is that AMD does not have plan to launch FX 6300 in India any time sooner. I don't know for what reason, they are planning to send a shipment of FX 6100 from US and only PileDriver planning to be launched is FX 8350.
Last Friday, me and Sumon had a chat with Mr. Subir Mahapatra (Regional Manager, Eastern India and Bangladesh, AMD) regarding this and we convinced him about FX 6300 launch in here as currently there is no strong Multi-Core CPU available at sub 10K price point. We have also sent him a mail explaining the need of a Sub 10K 6 Core CPU along with different review links where FX 6300 is recommended over i3 3220. Lets hope our effort works.

Just need one suggestion from you guys: Should we start a pole in our forum supporting the launch of FX 6300 in India? It might help to strengthen our claim.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bad news for now is that AMD does not have plan to launch FX 6300 in India any time sooner. I don't know for what reason, they are planning to send a shipment of FX 6100 from US and only PileDriver planning to be launched is FX 8350.
Last Friday, me and Sumon had a chat with Mr. Subir Mahapatra (Regional Manager, Eastern India and Bangladesh, AMD) regarding this and we convinced him about FX 6300 launch in here as currently there is no strong Multi-Core CPU available at sub 10K price point. We have also sent him a mail explaining the need of a Sub 10K 6 Core CPU along with different review links where FX 6300 is recommended over i3 3220. Lets hope our effort works.

Just need one suggestion from you guys: Should we start a pole in our forum supporting the launch of FX 6300 in India? It might help to strengthen our claim.

you guys are doing some great job ( best wishes and kudos to your efforts ) and it will not only help us, but it will also help AMD to gain the CPU market share and about a poll I think we better start one Asap.

sukesh1090

Adam young
That said and done, i would still suggest the fx 8350 to a budget buyer who wants a piece of everything at a price point be windows or Linux. Its a better buy than 3570k due to its better multitasking ability at similar or even cheaper price point. But for a guy who does 3d rendering and all the productive stuff with no budget restrictions, there is simply no alternative to the 3770k again be it windows or linux.
this, i never even AMD never wanted it to beat 3770k. my point was if it can compete with 3770k then it surely can compete with 3570k at lower prices.

btw 6300 costs 140$ i.e., 8k. so it doesn't have any competition at that price range,it is a clear winner and FX 4300 should compete with i3. actually i3 has two competitors one is fx4300 and other 5800k.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ I agree with you. AMD NEVER wanted to compete with the 3770K with their FX-8350. It's merely targeted at the less costly 3570K, and also the FX-8350 performs somewhat above the 3570K, with a lower price point than the former.

@Cilus, @sumonpathak: All the best for your efforts for bringing the AMD FX 6300 here in India. I hope AMD agrees and launches the FX-6300 here in India anytime soon. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

This is a brilliant idea and fx6300 is really needed due to lack of good sub-10k cpu's. i3 3220 is crappy considering its lack of multitasking ability, reduced instruction set support and costs a bomb being only a dual core cpu. FX6300 will really come to rescue here and easily recommended over a 3220. All sandybridge, ivybridge quadcores are more than 10k and a lot of buyers who cannot afford a 10k processor are forced to buy i3 3220. The market for dual cores lie below 5k range and not above that. Besides 6300 is a huge improvement of bulldozer based fx6100 and has a good performance improvement which is noticeable. It has better ipc, runs cooler and consumes much less power translating to better performance/watt.

I'm in and will fully support bringing fx6300 to india. Its actually the default choice for a 7-8k processor.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
As usual, nicely put vickybat :)

At that price, a multi core like fx6300 would do really well. And intel does need some competition in that price range.
Plus, if the fx4300 OCs to 5ghz, fx6300 might do better.
My vote for the fx6300.

AMD does manage to pull away with some very specific wins when compared to similarly priced Intel parts. Performance in the latest x264 benchmark as well as heavily threaded POV-Ray and Cinebench tests show AMD with the clear multithreaded performance advantage. Other heavily threaded integer workloads also do quite well on Vishera. The only part that didn't readily beat its Intel alternative was AMD's six-core FX-6300, the rest did extremely well in our heavily threaded tests

Source : AnandTech - The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested

Is this why amd is reluctant to launch fx6300 in India ?

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Last Friday, me and Sumon had a chat with Mr. Subir Mahapatra (Regional Manager, Eastern India and Bangladesh, AMD) regarding this and we convinced him about FX 6300 launch in here as currently there is no strong Multi-Core CPU available at sub 10K price point.

Actually they have a point. Not many FX6100s was sold in India from the time of its launch because of 'comparatively low' performance.
Regardless of the result of poll, if you guys think the general point of view of normal or avvrage customers they will prefer I5s or even I3s over FX4xxx and FX6xxx series because of the saying which goes like this "new AMD bulldozer processors are bad". And most of them won't even understand the architecture difference between bulldozer and piledriver.
And above all, enthusiast consists of very small percentage of total users/customers.

AMD FX 8350 is now available in flipkart for Rs 12911

Good price considering the fact that it also includes free shipping.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@d6bmg a fx 6300 in turbo mode is faster than an i3 in newer multi threaded games. have a look at some multi threaded benches here AnandTech - Bench - CPU

sukesh1090

Adam young
d6bmg
Actually they have a point. Not many FX6100s was sold in India from the time of its launch because of 'comparatively low' performance.
Regardless of the result of poll, if you guys think the general point of view of normal or avvrage customers they will prefer I5s or even I3s over FX4xxx and FX6xxx series because of the saying which goes like this "new AMD bulldozer processors are bad". And most of them won't even understand the architecture difference between bulldozer and piledriver.
And above all, enthusiast consists of very small percentage of total users/customers.
people don't buy PD not because bulldozer is bad because their seller tells them that AMD is bad it tends to heat up:wink:.neither they know about bulldozer's failure nor about bulldozer.
niz04
fx 8350 is durable like intel because. my pc is switched on for like 3 to 6 days
^^:rofl:

@cilus,
Bro can you check what is the lowest vcore your 8350 runs stable.because AMD's processor tends to have unnecessarily very high stock voltages.thanks.

Top Bottom