AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
What AMD is really up to with their first line of Bulldozers? Now they are planning to ship a Antec Kühler H2O 620 or similar water-cooling solution with their octa-core BDs :shock:

it'll be better if they ship their ship some of their highend octacores without any HSF. let customers decide for themselve what they want. H20 or O2 (or LN2) cooling.

AMD, I understand, but Intel? Powerful air cooling? :rofl:

both makes toy fans.

Seriously My C2D use to idle at 50 and my Quad Phenom Idles at 39. Numbers speak for themselves.

half of Phenom II coolers are faulty. they pack heatpipes but with a tiny fan & lowquality heatsink, they will be rejected by scrapmetal works also.

Intel's story is not much different. my P4 used to have a solid aluminum block to take away heat. uncle's core2quad sink became half the size. but at least most of their heatsink works. its different that a good percent suffer from overheating problems but at least the noise level is within limits.

tkin

Back to school!!
If amd is bundling liquid coolers with BD then guess what the thermals will be, I was right people, Fermi is being reincarnated by amd.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If amd is bundling liquid coolers with BD then guess what the thermals will be, I was right people, Fermi is being reincarnated by amd.

Here you are talking about very good point. But if the thermals are too high then it can't be used with air coolers. :-(

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

AMD FX = enthusiasts platform. i am not denying what you say but more likely AMD is targeting the overclockers & not solving overheat problems.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think it's an exciting launch offer to show this cpu is made for Ocers and gamers and this might bump up the sell of enthusiast series mobos anyway - but what AMD is doing is the first in the history of cpu world - bundling a liquid cooler - I would be more happy to see a CM Hyper 212+ or similar cooler with the high end cpus ;-)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Are you using your quad phenom with its stock cooler?

Yeah Always on Stock and OCed it to 3.6 Ghz and still temp are pretty much under control. Mentioned in my Siggy also :grin:

Sam said:
Re: AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion
half of Phenom II coolers are faulty. they pack heatpipes but with a tiny fan & lowquality heatsink, they will be rejected by scrapmetal works also.

Well I must be pretty lucky then as this is my 3rd AMD and none of there coolers have failed on me so far in spite of moderate OCing for 400-600 MHz);-)

And I think the Liquid Cooling is kinda a Enthusiastic Attraction Thing than real life usage issue.
And Intel should implement it first for their i7 Line right now :twisted:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I read in that article that intel too will be providing liquid coolers or good air cooling solutions with its high end sandybridge-E offerings with socket 2011.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And what if that cooler just blows up? Will AMD or Intel pay for all my damaged components? ;)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Never heard of coolers blowing up. Even if it does, i think its warranty will be included along with the processor i.e 3 years.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's already discussed here a couple of months back. There's one incident (posted most probably in HardOCP forums along with pics) in which a H50/70 of one user was blown up and the coolant destroys his graphics card and mobo among others. In that particular case, Corsair was generous enough to reimburse his total loss.

My point was if something like that happen then whether AMD and Intel would have a similar policy in place. :?:

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
It's already discussed here a couple of months back. There's one incident (posted most probably in HardOCP forums along with pics) in which a H50/70 of one user was blown up and the coolant destroys his graphics card and mobo among others. In that particular case, Corsair was generous enough to reimburse his total loss.

My point was if something like that happen then whether AMD and Intel would have a similar policy in place. :?:

xactly bro! I don't think that the service centre's in our city are kind enough to replace or reimburse the damaged components. First, they need to strengthen up the service points!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Can you point me to that thread? I want to give it a look.

tkin

Back to school!!
coolers may leak (extremely rare) but blow up? never heard. link please.
He means leaks, not blow up, but either way damage will be catastrophic due to the fluid inside being distilled water which becomes conductive when it comes in contact with impurities present on the pcb of the hardware.

H70 Broke! Coolant Everywhere! Help! - The Corsair Support Forums

My H70 pump has blewn up and caused a major leaked - The Corsair Support Forums

Corsair H70 leaking fluid that smells like anti-freeze from my truck/van!

Corsair H50 Leak! go with the H70

There are plenty more issues like this, but corsair USA replaces all the parts damaged, but no such policies exist elsewhere, the shipping parts to USA part will cost a fortune.

Always go with air coolers, Noctua NH-D14 will rip corsair Hydro apart(the ones that come within same price bracket, like H70).

Top Bottom