Airtel has suggested TRAI to reduce post-FUP speed to 64kbps

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Airtel claims users misuse minimum broadband speed facility, asks TRAI to reduce post-FUP speeds to 64kbps

The operator says a lot of customers have misused the minimum broadband speed facility, forcing the operator to forced to keep the price at a higher threshold.

Telecom giant Bharti Airtel has written to the telecom regulator TRAI to reduce data speeds from 512kbps to 64kbps, once the data cap is reached. The operator says a subscriber remains a broadband subscriber until the expiry of his assigned quota, therefore after the assigned quota the user cannot access data at the defined broadband speed. It’s worth pointing out here that the government has set minimum download speed of 512 Kbps for broadband connectivity.

In case of fair usage plans, the subscriber remains a broadband subscriber till the expiry of his assigned quota. Beyond the assigned quota, it cannot be the prerogative of the customer to keep on accessing data at the defined broadband speed. Hence, a service provider should be free to throttle the speed to 64kbps after the expiry of assigned data limit to the customer,” said the operator while responding to TRAI’s Draft Direction on Delivering Broadband Services in a Transparent Manner.

Airtel also pointed out that some customers have misused the minimum broadband speed facility, and tend to overuse the data limit.

“In fact, it has been observed that some customers misuse the minimum broadband speed provision and tend to overuse the data limit in their quota. Thus the cost increases for all customers due to higher usage at 512 kbps. As a result, we are forced to keep the price at a higher threshold for every customer. Therefore, if broadband has to become affordable in the country, ideally, the Authority should not mandate any broadband speed after exhaustion of quota. However, if the Authority wants to fix a speed limit is after the expiry of quota, it may be fixed at 64kbps,” it added.

The operator further says that there should not be any mandate for providing minimum speed where only a fixed data quota is provided. In case of such limited plans, broadband connected will be turned off.

On the issue of alerting users on consuming 80 percent of available data, Airtel responded, “Giving pop up alerts on every login after data usage crosses the quota limit of 80 percent may result into consistent irritant for customers and lead to spike in customers’ complaints due to inconvenience. Further, most of the fixed broadband customers are accessing Broadband services over Wi-Fi mode (always on connections) and the connection is being shared amongst many users/ devices. Hence, it is submitted that only an alert requirement may be provided through SMS or e mail in case of 80 percent limit.”

Airtel’s demands for reducing post FUP speed comes amid reports that the regulator may define broadband with minimum download speed up to 1Mbps. As expected Airtel’s letter has evoked negative criticism from users.

Source: Airtel Letter,BGR.in

*media.giphy.com/media/k4dmtQafDuhDG/giphy.gif​

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Do you want to pay more because some idiot decided to download the internet? However they shouldn't be given a free hand.

If I was TRAI, I'd say charge extra for unlimited connection.

Also, airtel should do a study, find out how much they are losing because of such abusers, and reduce the costs of existing limited plans by that same amount.

That way Airtel can't complain, we get limited plans for half or less, and although unlimited plans become more expensive, they are truly unlimited.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Airtel the Holy Sh!!!!t...they are the ones who want to disturb the broadband concept of internetworking,here in India.
Just f*** them out I appeal to subsribers ,particularly here at @TDF.
Teach these Airtel ba$t@rds a lesson by shifting to other ISP's.
Just imagine,they are trying to behave the Big Brother of the Broadband world,despite the presence of Aircel,Reliance,!dea,Tata Docomo,Vodafone,etc. the private players.

Kick the a$$ out of Airtel.

They are the true ba%$#c@&^d of this country.

Flash

Lost in speed
By today's standards, 64kbps is way too low. In 2014, we were struggling to load the pages in 256kbps connection, thanks to TRAI we got 512kbps as a threshold limit. Now 64kbps? I guess, Airtel is angry because of "Airtel Zero" thingy because of TRAI's stand on net neutrality.

I hope, TRAI will show middle finger to Airtel like this..

*i.memeful.com/media/post/BRkjB6M_700wa_0.gif

bubusam13

Human
I pay Rs 1098 per month for 6GB Airtel data card connection. As per my plan, I should get upto 128kbps after using up my quota. But from the last two months, after 6GB is over I get no Airtel network. Both 2G and 3G signal are absent in my data card.

I to use another Airtel number in my phone and it shows full network. PFA...
*i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n536/bubusam13/Airtel%20issue%201_zpsabzhooc7.jpg
*i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n536/bubusam13/Screenshot_2016-02-15-23-08-00_zpssxw2q8if.png

Data card shows no network while in phone 3G is working. (*I use SIM 2(Airtel) for Data)

- - - Updated - - -

Is not Airtel sealing my bandwidth this time for which I am paying. All my colleagues with Airtel Data connection is facing the same issue. I even raised a complain last month. How do Airtel justify the same ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post FUP of 64Kb/S is ok with me but the catch is is failtel ready to provide like 1TB pre FUP data at 10mbps around $10 ? I swear if we can get a plan like that no one is going to abuse the failtel's data or whatever they like to call it. Unless they are not improving both mentally and technically they should not suggest anything to TRAI. Beacuse TRAI is not for a giant eveil corporations but for the good of We The People.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
OMG i hate that girl....RIght when competitor is about to launch 4G, all the ads about fastest network in India by Airtel mysteriously stopped airing..FailTel is too afraid to play on even playing field

Top Bottom