Airtel has suggested TRAI to reduce post-FUP speed to 64kbps

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
lol guiz. rekt.
btw, any telecom company offering truly unlimited plans at all? all the unlimited plans seem to have FUP, as in data stops after a limit, or speed is reduced to 40-64 kbps.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
lol guiz. rekt.
btw, any telecom company offering truly unlimited plans at all? all the unlimited plans seem to have FUP, as in data stops after a limit, or speed is reduced to 40-64 kbps.

Hathway.

I'm using it. 5mbps unlimited for 1700. I never count how much I download.

btw I must say that you just cannot justify downloads over 100 gb every month until it's something you can't admit it in public.

Also, YouTube should not be included in bandwidth.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Oh I meant on phone, like 3G plan.
Actually, when in college in bangalore, was forced to download youtube videos because of how slow everything was. Think the piracy usage scenario is a way to conserve bandwidth, not hog it.

If I do everything through phone only and legit, browsing, IM, instagram, streaming music and videos its about 20-25 gb per month

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Failtel is always against true Broadband adoption in India.
If you guys remember the year 2007,when UPA-1 was in power,and the year was declared as Year of the Broadband.
According to newspapers and articles, Sonia Gandhi and Dayanidhi Maran(whatever corrupt he may be,but this man had a true vision for Broadband and Internet adoption in India. Much better than A.Raja)tried to implement 1Mbps Broadband at a cost of Rs.200~Rs.300 per month,citing the example of South Korea and other countries.But their efforts were halted and dismantled by the head of Failtel(F&%^i*g b@S%@rd)the S.M!tt@l,providing reference that issues and cases(pertaining to high data speed and lower tariff) should be taken to Supreme Court.

vedula.k95

Behind Enemy Lines
Hathway.

btw I must say that you just cannot justify downloads over 100 gb every month until it's something you can't admit it in public.

YouTube should not be included? send bulk mail to TRAI when it comes to NN,hypocrisy everywhere.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
YouTube should not be included? send bulk mail to TRAI when it comes to NN,hypocrisy everywhere.

I said that in context of high bandwidth plans. These days youtube is the most bandwidth consuming area of a normal surfer, that's why my logic. Nothing to do with NN.

Saahib

Cyborg Agent
Airtel is CrapTel, they are true Hippocrates, (remember 4G stunt.. *forum.digit.in/random-news/193045-airtel-4g-plans-tariff-big-joke.html) . So they say they are finding it hard to operate because of users abusing speed after FUP.. you mean they are abusing 512 kbps , wow.. that's utter ****, just go and survey among 50 people you know who use internet, you will find only 5% or even less are actually even reaching FUPs.

So, company like BEAM , ACT etc. are fool providing UL at 10mbps or more for less than 1K and doesn't know how to do business ? Instead of curbing users, why don't they ask TRAI to develop good internet infrastructure in India so that costly international bandwidth is not used. Nobody is trying to figure out what is the cause of high bandwidth cost in India, instead emphasizing on stupid things like politicians.

Further, Govt. should give Subsidy to companies like ACT/ BEAM if they really want to see DIGITAL India..

Craptel.. Go Away ;)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hathway.

Well many Japanese animated series at 1080p comes at ~35-40gb each & 3-4 such series will easily cross 100gb.Another example would be US/other countries TV shows.Now don't confuse this with "ahem" but from the paying customer perspective.e.g.i have subscription of major english channels in HD on DTH but i watch the same shows being telecasted on channels by getting uncensored version from net at a time convenient to me(so i pay for shows i get from net just not in a straight way).

Flash

Lost in speed
Airtel is CrapTel, they are true Hippocrates, (remember 4G stunt.. *forum.digit.in/random-news/193045-airtel-4g-plans-tariff-big-joke.html) . So they say they are finding it hard to operate because of users abusing speed after FUP.. you mean they are abusing 512 kbps , wow.. that's utter ****, just go and survey among 50 people you know who use internet, you will find only 5% or even less are actually even reaching FUPs.
Hippocrates is the Father of Medicine. It's hypocrites. :mrgreen:

sygeek

Technomancer
Well many Japanese animated series at 1080p comes at ~35-40gb each & 3-4 such series will easily cross 100gb.Another example would be US/other countries TV shows.Now don't confuse this with "ahem" but from the paying customer perspective.e.g.i have subscription of major english channels in HD on DTH but i watch the same shows being telecasted on channels by getting uncensored version from net at a time convenient to me(so i pay for shows i get from net just not in a straight way).
Anyone who uses netflix, youtube, spotify and steam will fill up that 100GB quota in no time. Not just pirates.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone who uses netflix, youtube, spotify and steam will fill up that 100GB quota in no time. Not just pirates.
netflix is not that good in India(it also has to follow indian censor laws so i am assuming available content here is censored).If that is not the case then trust some activist to file a court case sooner or later.Steam is for gamers only & i replied to a comment stating that excluding youtube crossing 100gb is legally not possible for most ppl.Japanese animated series dl is not pirating as long as their broadcast rights are not sold to some USA company(e.g.popular ones like one piece,bleach,naruto etc are all licensed in USA).

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah I agree to the sentiment. point is what airtel is calling abuse is what is our normal use.
it is true, that you can potentially keep the connection alive at all times, that is like keeping all your taps open or all your electrical connections sucking nectar from the grid at all times. that is the scare airtel has here, and that those who use their connections like this are a minority and there can be specific steps taken against them. whether they should be taken, I will not comment.

but, to understand this bandwidth thing, its as simple as playing the same video multiple times on youtube, as against downloading it once and rewatching it forever.
piracy is conservative on bandwidth usage, and legit usage is outright wasteful in current delivery formats. Every aspect of legitimacy, support and cloud back up stress the delivery further. Like seriously, cable connections could be put to much better use than showing the same movies over and over. The copper wire in everyone's house line offers sufficient bandwidth, fiberoptics not required. Doordarshan's TV towers currently have the potential to cover our mobile bandwidth requirement. However, I finally see sense in why youtube buffers bits of the video instead of the whole thing, it is to save your bandwidth. how considerate. almost ive.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
yeah I agree to the sentiment. point is what airtel is calling abuse is what is our normal use.
it is true, that you can potentially keep the connection alive at all times, that is like keeping all your taps open or all your electrical connections sucking nectar from the grid at all times. that is the scare airtel has here, and that those who use their connections like this are a minority and there can be specific steps taken against them. whether they should be taken, I will not comment.

but, to understand this bandwidth thing, its as simple as playing the same video multiple times on youtube, as against downloading it once and rewatching it forever.
piracy is conservative on bandwidth usage, and legit usage is outright wasteful in current delivery formats. Every aspect of legitimacy, support and cloud back up stress the delivery further. Like seriously, cable connections could be put to much better use than showing the same movies over and over. The copper wire in everyone's house line offers sufficient bandwidth, fiberoptics not required. Doordarshan's TV towers currently have the potential to cover our mobile bandwidth requirement. However, I finally see sense in why youtube buffers bits of the video instead of the whole thing, it is to save your bandwidth. how considerate. almost ive.

flyte was ideal for audio at least and we let it die. I will never forgive us for that.
+1 for that clear logical point.
If Idle towers,lines,etc ,the network resources could be used to practical and regular use,then only we may see some true Broadband speeds in India.
May be not in our lifetimes...

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
what kind of misuse is supposed to be done with mere 512kbps as per Airtel?
I hope TRAI burns the so-called childish suggestions to flames!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
using the mobile connection for professional or industrial applications instead of just personal ones. Something like getting 5 mobiles and torrenting at 512 kbps all the time to run DVD piracy shop, Im guessing.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
using the mobile connection for professional or industrial applications instead of just personal ones. Something like getting 5 mobiles and torrenting at 512 kbps all the time to run DVD piracy shop, Im guessing.

with a single broadband connection?
if that is the case, the BB speed over here wont change. either 512 kbps or below. else these companies may argue that we cant increase the internet speed just because the cyber crimes are rising!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
well, yeah. That is similar to the arguments that led to the introduction of FUP in the first place.

Top Bottom