"Airtel Fair Usage Policy" Limits on Unimited Broadband!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
WTF??!! I read in some post that this is Govt. order!! Has the Govt. gone crazy??!! Internet is the backbone and lifeline of everything.. how can Govt. throttle the use of "oxygen"?!

Can't you all guys file a PIL or something? Complain to TRAI..

^^
Kidnap the minister,hijack the radio station and ask for 4Mbps Unlimited for 500 Rs/Month or the Minister would be found in the ruins of Kabul next day. :D

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
After this *thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107103?

That's what they have decided upon. I made that thread so that Members from Kolkata can have a FACE2FACE discussion with the TRAI members. BUT NOOO. NO ONE BOTHERED and so here is their solution : CAP THE UNLIMITED TO PROVIDE BANDWITH 2 ALL

do we really dont have enough bandwidth???

pulkit_aga

Journeyman
its really shameful when we are talking about 3g and new technology etc,this broadband is becoming a narrowband.
instead of progressing we are regressing in internet use and its spread.
guess this proves darwins evolution theory wrong atleast in case of internet in India.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^It's called fair usage ! I mean they will save that bandwidth to reach the poor. Its for a noble cause...we all should be proud of the selfless effort of service providers. Jai India :D

That's what they have decided upon. I made that thread so that Members from Kolkata can have a FACE2FACE discussion with the TRAI members. BUT NOOO. NO ONE BOTHERED and so here is their solution : CAP THE UNLIMITED TO PROVIDE BANDWITH 2 ALL

do we really dont have enough bandwidth???
Bandwidth is narrowed down due to the upcoming scam footage :D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Come to think about it, limiting bandwidth isn't that bad either. ISPs have to pay according to per TB to the Internet Backbones & DNS servers. So, this way they pay the same amount to the DNS servers but make it available to many users. Think from the point of view of someone not among us & who is deprived of Internet so far.

They should make new cost rules. Rs 500+tax for 512 kbps with 40 GB cap & Rs 900 for 512 kbps unlimited.

Like I asked many of you guys before, what is it that you use internet this much for? I mean, come to think about me.....40 GB is also overkill, I don't download that much (not much piracy actually).

If you are a linux user who downloads new Distro to try, well,...then get an hold on what you use. I have seen many Linux users jumping to a new distribution even before they finish learning a distribution. You upgrade your application without looking at the change log, do you actually need that minor upgrade which comes out everyday?

If you are into beta testing, coding community etc, then pay a bit more & get better connection. You are a minority of people among airtel users.

Don't ask for unlimited resources, instead find how much work can you get out of limited resources. I still remember how much work my Senior in Delhi's office used to do on a 17" CRT which I wasn't able to do on a 19" LCD due to lack of knowledge.

What is happening is very easy to understand. ISPs don't want us to pirate much. How about a test? For the next 1 month, don't download any pirated content like a T.V show, Movies etc (unless U have some subscription). If you are into Linux distributions then before downloading a new application or distribution, sit, read the change log & see if you actually need it. To read news from sites like Engadget, use a RSS reader so that you can read all the news instead of going to the actual site. Now, put a bandwidth meter & see how much have u downloaded in 30 days.

We don't get speedy Internet on mobile phone, but if you know how to use the resources efficiently then even 120 kbps EDGE (typical vodafone speed in lucknow) is also enough. Browse using Opera Mini, use Opera mini for reading the RSS, Chat using Slick (too hard to type on a keyboard for long though) & see how it saves bandwidth.

You guys are lucky to have broadband today, some of us oldies uses to visit 3ds Max, Photoshop & Adobe premiere forums on Dial up once :D., we used to study with far less leisure then you are having today. I remember, there was a time when I actually went to a library to gather information about Nuclear Fission reactor for my class 12 school project, how many of you do it now?

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^i hope you understand that there is a thin line between deception and welfare

NOTE: Guess what I didn't hav my own PC until second year of Engg. In total I have 2 PCs now. And then got internet in third year of Engg. I used to go to cyber cafe before if ever need arose.

I don't have a major problem with some data cap if they reduce the prices. But if they continue with the same prices then I may better kick em in teh arse and move to some other ISP.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ok....I changed my mind, Sue them in Consumer court for claiming to provide Unlimited Data plan, but still imposing a limit on it. Either call it Limited or don't do this at all.

red_devil

Back!
^ LOL :D

in one of the earlier posts it was mentioned that this (inhumane act of limiting the unlimited :p ) is a govt. order...so will BSNL too implement this ??

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Government order? I don't think so. If it was, there should have been a proper notification. I reckon AirTel is just using the govt's name to convince customers that they'll face the same scenario even if they switch ISPs. :mad:

abhi1301

gEttIn 0uT@@@ BOXX
Government order? I don't think so. If it was, there should have been a proper notification. I reckon AirTel is just using the govt's name to convince customers that they'll face the same scenario even if they switch ISPs. :mad:
I second that. Just visited the TRAI site and the latest post is 11th feb in which HAIRTAIL & GOOFIE :D:D(AIRTEL & SIFY) have pproposed to be allowed to use this. so as of now the matter is that doing the shame ful act is not only shameful but also ILLEAGAL
*www.trai.gov.in/ConsultationPapers_content.asp

WE can actually file a consumer forum case. I am going to assk for a official document intimating this right away and just go FILE a PIL folks from B'lore wake up and JOin the Cause you can PM me if intersted In the PIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom