Advice on 45k PC

SunE

Professional Newbie
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Hardcore gaming for the coming few months (I was busy studying for a long time as I'm taking my engineering entrance exams this time and have been waiting for literally years to buy a gaming PC to play all the latest and greatest games :-D ) Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, GTA 4 Complete Collection, GTA V(futureproofing :-D). If a PC can run the ones already mentioned do I really need to mention any more ;-) . After that I'm also hoping to do some Java,php,HTML,etc coding and light video rendering(for funny YouTube videos that I've planned to make with my friends :p )

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 45k. Can extend about 10% if really needed.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes. Planning to put FX-4100 at 4.2 GHz and HD 7850 to 1100/5600

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and also wanna try out the Windows 8 CP.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB or 2 TB depending on price.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No I don't want a monitor. I already have the following :
1) 22" SAMSUNG LCD TV(1366x768) for casual work.
2) 40" SAMSUNG LED TV (1920x1080) for gaming.
I wanted to get a full HD regular monitor but my 22" LCD TV is just lying around gathering dust so better put it to use. BTW I'm not gonna be using both at once in case you were wondering.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: As mentioned before I already got a display. I also purchased 8GB of G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600 MHz RAM from flipkart a couple of weeks back( in case you're wondering why I got RAM from before, I was lucky enough to get it for 2000 only :mrgreen: )
I also have Logitech G400 gaming mouse with a Razer Goliathus Control Edition Standard Size mouse pad. Logitech K200 keyboard is also present. Also got the HP DVD drive from flipkart.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This coming week.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I've had a couple of desktops before but from the past 3 years have been using laptops but this will be the first time that I build a desktop myself (thanks to all the folks who put very informative How To Install videos on YouTube :) )

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata(proper south). I'm looking to buy it from flipkart because of their EMI option but it's actually the other way round from the original question as I'm looking to buy stuff locally that I couldn't get online :p
But if buying locally helps me save a lotta money then why not.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I've got the following build in mind (prices as on flipkart)

Component Make Price
CPU AMD FX-4100 6233
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 6349
GPU HD 7850 about16000
HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1 TB 5614
Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 430 3492
PSU CORSAIR GS600 600W 4715
TOTAL 42403

Now the thing is that flipkart does not have HD 7850 in its inventory yet. Also for some apparent reason they don't deliver Coolermaster cabinets to Kolkata. But still isn't 3492 for the Elite 430 a bit high? I read on other posts by fellow members that it's available within 3000 rupees. So in which shop can I get these two parts in Kolkata and for what price? Also please suggest a good UPS.

Other thing is that I really wanted a Core i5 system but Intel motherboards with equivalent features as the AMD one I listed are really costly and the CPU+MOBO costs about 4-7k more than my suggested AMD system. So is the price difference really worth it or would the AMD system suit my needs perfectly? Can you please suggest an i5 system as close to the price of the AMD system I suggested?

Most important thing is that I need this PC to last me at least 4-5 years(I know it's a long time but this is the last PC my dad will buy me and I need the time to finish college, get a job, earn money and be able to buy a PC with my own money :-D )

Lastly thanks for helping me out :razz:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
As your main Purpose is gaming then Its better to get a AMD Quad + Great GFX than Intel Quad with Mid Range GFX.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Component Make Price
CPU AMD Phenom II 960T 6960
Motherboard Asus M5A97 6050
GPU Radeon HD7850 15000
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 5620
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite 2400
PSU Seasonis S12 II 620 4620
Speakers Altec Lancing BXR1221 1100
UPS Intex 1KVA 2600
Total 44350

Don't even think of the FX-4100. You might get carried away by the flipkart user reviews. Just search around the web for expert reviews and you'll know the true story.

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I wasn't just reading the flipkart reviews but also looked up game benchmarks from Tom's, Anand, and YouTube. But since you people obviously are the experts, I won't be going with the FX-4100. But I also don't wanna buy the older AM3 processors because of high power consumption(just as it is I get extremely high electricity bills, don't wanna contribute to that).

I also want the Coolermaster Elite 430 specifically because of its show-off capabilities :p . Forgot to mention that I don't need speakers as I already have many good headsets and headphones lying around.

So I decided to extend the budget and go for Sandy Bridge but can't decide between the following two setups:

CPU Intel i5-2400 : 10844
Motherboard Intel DH67Cl(B3) : 5628
GPU Sapphire HD7850 : 15600
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB : 5620
Case Coolermaster Elite 430 : 3000
PSU Corsair GS600 : 4715
UPS Intex 1KVA : 2600
Total 48007

CPU Intel i5-2500k : 12296
Motherboard Biostar TZ68k+ : 7235
Total 51066

Now the question is that I know that the 2nd setup is obviously better but is it worth the extra 3000? I only ask because if I buy the 2nd one then I won't have any money left to purchase games :cry:
As mentioned before I want this PC to last at least 4 years so is 2500k going to make a huge difference than the 2400 in this regard?
I really don't want to spend more money but if the performance difference is really high then I might get the 2500k system. Please help me out :D Thanks :D

P.S.- I listed the configs in simple format because for some reason the table thingy ain't workin :-? Also can someone please clarify whether the H67CL listed on flipkart is the B3 revision or not?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If you do want to overclock, then 2nd setup.
Remember, in this hot summer, you can't run 2500K in stock cooler. So, add 2.2K for buying Hyper 212 EVO.

I would say, go with first config. (Personally I don't have any believe in Biostar.)

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
^^ Thanks man! Even I was keen on the 2400. I'm not really hell bent on overclocking or anything(just wanted to try it out). I also did not have any money for a cooler so saves on that too. Now please answer my other question that is the DH67CL listed on flipkart a B3 or not(if not then I'll have to buy locally which I don't want to because I really need the EMI option). That's why I'll wait for a couple of days to see whether flipkart add the HD 7850.

Any other suggestions? Oh and by the way I saw that DH67CL has 4 SATA ports. 1 will be going for HDD, other for ODD. Now I also have two old HDDs (80 GB and 160GB) which I want to reuse from my old PC. Don't exactly know if they still work or not(they did work when I packed the old PC in a box and put it in the loft two years ago :p). So if these hopefully work I'll be maxing out the SATA ports available. Will that cause any problems or is it absolutely nothing to worry about?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I also wont count on Biostar as OCer Motherboard.

OP if you want OC then get an ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI.

Stay clear of Jetway, Biostar etc. I won't mind them on a Non OC config but for i5 K series they just don't quite cut it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I know Biostar is not in the list of the Elite group of Motherboard makers but that particular board suggested here is having generally positive reviews in all the review sites. In Toms' Hardware sub $200 motherboard test, this board came out as the best overclocking board.
You can also look for the Asrock Z68 Extreme boards which is available within 9K.
Also have a look at GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 (Revision 2.1) which is available at 7.9K in SMC: GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 /2.1 Mother Board

Another thing, Seagate 1 TB is available at 5.1K only in street.

Aerrow

Journeyman
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I wasn't just reading the flipkart reviews but also looked up game benchmarks from Tom's, Anand, and YouTube. But since you people obviously are the experts, I won't be going with the FX-4100. But I also don't wanna buy the older AM3 processors because of high power consumption(just as it is I get extremely high electricity bills, don't wanna contribute to that).

I also want the Coolermaster Elite 430 specifically because of its show-off capabilities :p . Forgot to mention that I don't need speakers as I already have many good headsets and headphones lying around.

So I decided to extend the budget and go for Sandy Bridge but can't decide between the following two setups:

Total 48007

Total 51066

Now the question is that I know that the 2nd setup is obviously better but is it worth the extra 3000? I only ask because if I buy the 2nd one then I won't have any money left to purchase games :cry:
As mentioned before I want this PC to last at least 4 years so is 2500k going to make a huge difference than the 2400 in this regard?
I really don't want to spend more money but if the performance difference is really high then I might get the 2500k system. Please help me out :D Thanks :D

P.S.- I listed the configs in simple format because for some reason the table thingy ain't workin :-? Also can someone please clarify whether the H67CL listed on flipkart is the B3 revision or not?

I am wondering the same thing. Is 2500k better for gamers over 2400? If yes, how?

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to go with the i5-2400 setup as I think it would suit my needs perfectly and is also cheaper :mrgreen: .

@Cilus I know that local shops have the HDD for 5.1k but let's not forget the 4% VAT which brings the price to 5.3k. Also do you know whether this one is the newer one with 64MB cache or the older one with 32MB cache? Plus as I mentioned before I really need the EMI option from flipkart and thus I'm waiting for them to add the HD 7850 (Sapphire Dual Fan / MSI TF / ASUS DirectCUii).Then I'll just have to get the case from a local shop which shouldn't be much of a problem. Also let's hope that by the time my entire build is available on flipkart the prices come down a bit.

One other change that I am wanting to make is that replacing the Corsair GS600 for a Seasonic S12ii-520 520W PSU. I think that it should be enough for i5-2400 and HD 7850 (since both are low power consuming) and it also helps me save about 700 as the S12ii-520 is available for 4054. I've already calculated from Outervision and NewEgg's power calculator and both show around 400W so 520W should be enough right?

Last edited:

summers

Journeyman
Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to go with the i5-2400 setup as I think it would suit my needs perfectly and is also cheaper :mrgreen: .

@Cilus I know that local shops have the HDD for 5.1k but let's not forget the 4% VAT which brings the price to 5.3k. Also do you know whether this one is the newer one with 64MB cache or the older one with 32MB cache? Plus as I mentioned before I really need the EMI option from flipkart and thus I'm waiting for them to add the HD 7850 (Sapphire Dual Fan / MSI TF / ASUS DirectCUii).Then I'll just have to get the case from a local shop which shouldn't be much of a problem. Also let's hope that by the time my entire build is available on flipkart the prices come down a bit.

One other change that I am wanting to make is that replacing the Corsair GS600 for a Seasonic S12ii-520 520W PSU. I think that it should be enough for i5-2400 and HD 7850 (since both are low power consuming) and it also helps me save about 700 as the S12ii-520 is available for 4054. I've already calculated from Outervision and NewEgg's power calculator and both show around 400W so 520W should be enough right?

If you are thinking abut keeping your desktop futureproof for about 4-5 years, then i suggest you should definetly go for i5 2500K. It has a higher stock clock than 2400 and moreover it can overclock upto 4.5 GHz like a breeze with a good cpu cooler.

The only way to keep your system future proof is by oc. IMO, you should go for a bare minimum setup and add components with time. But do invest in a good Mobo+cpu initially as it will last long.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
@SunE : SeaSonic S12II 520 has higher build quality compared to the GS series from corsair. For an i5 + 7850 combo its more than enough. If you wait for the IVB you'll be on the safer side by a greater extent as they'll have lower TDP compared to SNB. Talking about future proofing, PSU is the only stuff that can be guaranteed. But newer products are becoming highly energy efficient with lower TDP's so think of a PSU with more wattage only if you're OC'ing.

dibya_kol

In the zone
I am wondering the same thing. Is 2500k better for gamers over 2400? If yes, how?

because simply 2500k is better than 2400 by any means. u can oc 2500k (with some custom cooler) up to 4.3-4.5 ghz on air without any voltage tweak. and some guys i know who hit 5ghz on it. yes for now-a-days games or applications may be stock speed is ok but when it require more from cpu, 2400 simply won't give that. and from 3.3 to 4.5 ghz (which means 1.2 ghz oc ) that always sounds sweet ..

Total 48007

Total 51066

vote for 2nd configuration . and as a user of biostar mobo, i can tell u it is serving me well enough.

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
Hi guys. I'll be leaving for Bangalore tomorrow and just wanted to finalise a few things.
First of all I'll be buying the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 MOBO from a local shop in Bangalore as I'm getting it there cheaper as compared to Mediaman prices from Kolkata. So is this a good board and worth about Rs 9293? Also will this play good with the i5 2500k?
Some members also suggest getting a CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler for OCing but I don't want to OC right now, maybe after a couple of years (or earlier if really required). So is it necessary to get the cooler right now or is the stock cooler good enough?

My final config would somewhat look like this:

CPU Intel i5-2500k
MB ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
RAM G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB DDR3 (already purchased)
CASE NZXT Lexa S
GPU Sapphire HD 7850
PSU Seasonic S12ii-520 (would this be enough for OCed 2500k and OCed 7850 or should I get GS600 or S12ii-620 instead?)
ODD Asus 24x (I had purchased the HP one but gave it to a friend as he needed one urgently)
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB
KB Logitech K200 (already purchased)
MOUSE Logitech G400(already purchased)
MOUSEPAD Razer Goliathus Fragged Control Edition -Standard(already purchased)

Now I was going to buy an inverter system for the house and was wondering that would I still need to buy an UPS or would the inverter be enough to provide me 2 min backup for turning my PC off? If not then please suggest the cheapest UPS needed for the above rig to provide 2-3min backup for turning off the computer.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Price of ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 is good.
For PSU, buy At least Corsair TX650V2/ 750V2.

520Watt PSU may be too low for 7850. :unsure:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
For PSU, buy At least Corsair TX650V2/ 750V2.

520Watt PSU may be too low for 7850. :unsure:

hmmm, with that config he can go all out GPU config like 2 X HD7870 :|

HD7850 consumes less power than HD6850 or same power. for HD6850 a proper a 450W PSU is recommended. so 520W is sufficient for HD7850 + i5 2500k OC :razz:

@SunE, buy Hyper212 Evo for now. You'll need it even if you don't OC.

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will go for the S12ii-520 I guess or would GS600 also be good enough?

@Sam bhai is the stock cooler really that bad that I'd need Hyper 212 Evo to run the CPU outta the box?

Also what are the views of y'all on the whole UPS thing that I mentioned?

Top Bottom