A Distro for Indian Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem, that it's there. It would be so much for the better if it wasn't there.
+1
its existance means that I have got my work cut out, since I need to dosomething better, or, atleast, LIGHTER so that it can't compete with me. But with Debian/Slackware with Xfce being my desktop, I stand a fair chance.

Mission Accomplished ?

I have settled with Debian Lenny derived Dream Linux for my distro. I finished configuring the 2.6.26.2 kernel for its hardware and tomorrow I need to run the make bzImage command. Everything has gone smoothly and I am seeing no trouble at all. Due to a partial install which was cancelled at 92%, I am running an apt-get dist-upgrade to set everything right. Educational apps are pouring in too.

We have managed to give it a name, SLOS, standing for Scholastic Linux Operating System, and one of my team mates designed a nice logo-cum-wallpaper for it which I am going to post here later after its patched up.

But as far as spreading linux goes, I really think I am making lots of progress. Many who see me working on it in the lab are starting to appriciate the beauty of linux. They are surprised by the performance, good looks and ease of use. Ofcourse, when I work in commandline, they often wonder what I am doing, but seeing the translucent terminal, many are eager to work in commandline mode too. I guess I have not been carried away from my original objective of seeing this thing impress people to an extent which makes them use it and feel its beauty.

I would like to thank everyone here who helped me, since phase 1 and phase 2 of the project's development cycle are completed. Its in its alpha state, and only phases 3 (software adding and organising), 4 (performance optimisations) and 5 (finishing look) are left.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Mission Accomplished ?

I have settled with Debian Lenny derived Dream Linux for my distro. I finished configuring the 2.6.26.2 kernel for its hardware and tomorrow I need to run the make bzImage command. Everything has gone smoothly and I am seeing no trouble at all. Due to a partial install which was cancelled at 92%, I am running an apt-get dist-upgrade to set everything right. Educational apps are pouring in too.

We have managed to give it a name, SLOS, standing for Scholastic Linux Operating System, and one of my team mates designed a nice logo-cum-wallpaper for it which I am going to post here later after its patched up.

But as far as spreading linux goes, I really think I am making lots of progress. Many who see me working on it in the lab are starting to appriciate the beauty of linux. They are surprised by the performance, good looks and ease of use. Ofcourse, when I work in commandline, they often wonder what I am doing, but seeing the translucent terminal, many are eager to work in commandline mode too. I guess I have not been carried away from my original objective of seeing this thing impress people to an extent which makes them use it and feel its beauty.

I would like to thank everyone here who helped me, since phase 1 and phase 2 of the project's development cycle are completed. Its in its alpha state, and only phases 3 (software adding and organising), 4 (performance optimisations) and 5 (finishing look) are left.
ddd metaaaaaaaaaaal *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/77.png

OK guys, here is a problem: the UPS screwed up and it had to be restarted. I was going through a dist-upgrade. Now when I try dpkg --configure -a to fix things and then resume dist-upgrade, I get a series of error messages finally it gives up telling too many errors. I am not able to access X. Recovary mode is GONE. And this is for that same dream linux install which I finished at 92% with a reboot. I am preparing a live CD at home, but what about that distro ? What do I do now ? How do I fix it ?

Tomorrow is submission date. I hope all goes well and nothing bad happens. I am going to start building the distro right now in my house, after emptying a partition and then installing dream in it.

Do you think its wise to remove my painfully configured windows install to install debian ?
Otherwise, what software can I use to make an image (uncompressed) of the windows install partition ? Its totally about 7.3GB in size.

Rahim

Married!
^You seem to be out of space. When i was using Windows, used Acronis.
It might be noobish but may copy the contents od c: and edit menu.lst to restore Windows later. Most of the users talk so much about rsync,

Well, I finally managed to free up disc space in a partition and everything was finished. However, here are some things that happened:

1. Dream is SOOO Screwed. It gets tonnes and tonnes of errors on a dist-upgrade. Perhaps its because I had to install 744mb of software.

2. I am going to stay away from debian till Lenny becomes stable. Currently its HORRIBLE and I have no way of getting the latest images since I have something else to download.

3. I withdrew from JNSE, for two reasons: Firtly, thanks to the unreliable lenny, I couldn't install anything. Secondly, Education Technology was a topic last year but its not one this year. So I needed to shift the topic to mathematical modelling and throw in a bunch of mathematics related software. But the idea never kicked off strongly enough and I gave up calling it a bad job since my team mates were not willing to do all the work in 5 hours. Maybe I might end up in the Intel Scinece Discovery Fare. Who knows ?...

4. But I am not giving up the distro as a whole, and I am even more inspired to perfect it now. Once Debian Lenny Stable is out, I am going to create a set of DVDs, with a single Live CD custom made containing the base distro, base installer and themes along with basic apps and recovary stuff. The DVDs would be from the debian disc releases, but I am including a shell script to install from the DVD all educational packages. I am also considering a deployment ready live DVD containing a typical school linux system preinstalled.

5. The distro is still going to be Xfce based. No change there.

6. I am thinking of getting myself a sourceforge account once I create the first Live CD.

7. All these *thinking* parts have ALREADY been tested, and I have calculated the sizes of the resultant distro in each case and I have also planned the packages. Googling for Scientist Ubuntu and the first link gave me EVERYTHING I need. I can't help admiring the ubuntu docs. But I don't know if there exists an installer with linux-live-scripts.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Well, I finally managed to free up disc space in a partition and everything was finished. However, here are some things that happened:

1. Dream is SOOO Screwed. It gets tonnes and tonnes of errors on a dist-upgrade. Perhaps its because I had to install 744mb of software.

2. I am going to stay away from debian till Lenny becomes stable. Currently its HORRIBLE and I have no way of getting the latest images since I have something else to download.

3. I withdrew from JNSE, for two reasons: Firtly, thanks to the unreliable lenny, I couldn't install anything. Secondly, Education Technology was a topic last year but its not one this year. So I needed to shift the topic to mathematical modelling and throw in a bunch of mathematics related software. But the idea never kicked off strongly enough and I gave up calling it a bad job since my team mates were not willing to do all the work in 5 hours. Maybe I might end up in the Intel Scinece Discovery Fare. Who knows ?...

4. But I am not giving up the distro as a whole, and I am even more inspired to perfect it now. Once Debian Lenny Stable is out, I am going to create a set of DVDs, with a single Live CD custom made containing the base distro, base installer and themes along with basic apps and recovary stuff. The DVDs would be from the debian disc releases, but I am including a shell script to install from the DVD all educational packages. I am also considering a deployment ready live DVD containing a typical school linux system preinstalled.

5. The distro is still going to be Xfce based. No change there.

6. I am thinking of getting myself a sourceforge account once I create the first Live CD.

7. All these *thinking* parts have ALREADY been tested, and I have calculated the sizes of the resultant distro in each case and I have also planned the packages. Googling for Scientist Ubuntu and the first link gave me EVERYTHING I need. I can't help admiring the ubuntu docs. But I don't know if there exists an installer with linux-live-scripts.

Great going. :)

Rahim

Married!
Sad to hear your withdrawal :( but carry on with your efforts though :p

@din: Yah that link is very informative and when are you preparing a How-To on it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom