24x7 Torrent downloading solution. Budget: 3K

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a 24x7 torrent downloading solution, without having to switch on my PC thus eating as less power as possible and reducing my electricity bill. I did some research only to end up confused by plethora of ways to achieve the same.

At the moment, I'm using my medium-end gaming PC+BSNL home UL 750 plan+Dlink DSL-502T router for downloading stuffs.

My budget is around 3K. One option that sounds plausible to me is buying a wireless router with inbuilt torrent client capabilities(such as ASUS RT-N13U?). It should have features such as ability to attach to my external 160GB USB HDD(to save the torrent downloads and transfer it later to my PC/laptop).

I've never set up anything like this before, so, please bear out with my noobish queries here. Is buying a wifi router the best option(if yes, then which model?) or are there better alternative out there in this budget?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

reniarahim1

Youngling
Get TPLINK TL-WR1043ND router and you can install DD-WRT firmware to make it act as a torrent client. Google it, you get lot of information on the same.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TP-Link : TL-WR1043ND : Ultimate wireless N Gigabit Router - www.deltapage.com
online prices are a bit higher.check here to see if any dealer is near your location:
Regional Distributors - Welcome to TP-LINK

OP
TechnoFan

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
^^ Wait a second. Isn't Dlink DSL-502T a ADSL router/modem?
So won't buying a Wifi router(lets say TP LINK TL-WR1043ND or ASUS RT-N13U) and using it in conjunction with Dlink DSL-502T modem should suffice?

Also one of my friend strongly suggest to stay away from TP Link routers and buy ASUS RT-N13U B1 for my wifi+torrent needs. Is it advisable to buy ASUS RT-N13U B1? Sorry, but I'm a total beginner in networking area. :/

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
Tp-Link provides best VFM Modem/Routers

^^ Wait a second. Isn't Dlink DSL-502T a ADSL router/modem?
So won't buying a Wifi router(lets say TP LINK TL-WR1043ND or ASUS RT-N13U) and using it in conjunction with Dlink DSL-502T modem should suffice?

Also one of my friend strongly suggest to stay away from TP Link routers and buy ASUS RT-N13U B1 for my wifi+torrent needs. Is it advisable to buy ASUS RT-N13U B1? Sorry, but I'm a total beginner in networking area. :/
TP-Link looks cool w/ it 3 Antenna lol!!! Yeah u can use that DLINK modem!

Renny

Padawan
Can a cheap WiFi Android tablet be used as a 24x7 download center?

And for the OP's setup a USB equipped router is needed along with external HDD right? Can a pendrive be used instead of a external HDD?

OP
TechnoFan

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
Ah, thanks. But guess, I'll go with Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1 router as one my friend have a spare one. Is this router good for my needs?

TP-Link looks cool w/ it 3 Antenna lol!!! Yeah u can use that DLINK modem!
Now, presently I use my PC(Windows 7 Ultimate) with my BSNL 750UL to connect to internet. The internet cable goes the ADSL port in the Dlink modem, one end of the Ethernet cable goes in the Ethernet port in the modem and the other end goes to the Ethenet port on my PC's motherboad. I connect to the internet via dial-up in desktop(PPPoE connection).

I've never set up wifi before, so can anyone post step by step instruction on how to set up wifi using ASUS RT-N13U+Dlink DSL-502T+BSNL 750UL?

Dlink DSL-502T from behind:
*i.imgur.com/hJ261.jpg

ASUS RT-N13U from behind:
*i.imgur.com/O2Pct.jpg

Thanks alot for replying along guys.

And for the OP's setup a USB equipped router is needed along with external HDD right? Can a pendrive be used instead of a external HDD?
Yes. And yea, a pendrive can be used instead of a external HDD AFAIK.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I've never set up wifi before, so can anyone post step by step instruction on how to set up wifi ....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/62567-setup-home-wifi-lan-share-internet-connection.html

@mods.. can you unlock the above mentioned thread?

OP
TechnoFan

TechnoFan

Bazinga!
^ Thanks..but a tutorial with screenshot will help alot more. Ok, here - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/150870-sharing-pppoe-connection.html#post1557342, ico has posted instruction for setting up wifi(with screenshots). The steps posted there for setting up wifi will be same for my ASUS RT-N13U B1+Dlink DSL-502T+BSNL 750UL setup?

Also how to differentiate between the upgraded version, that is the B1 version of ASUS RT-N13U and the older version? Is B1 written over the box?

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^ Thanks..but a tutorial will screenshot will alot more. Ok, here - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/150870-sharing-pppoe-connection.html#post1557342, ico has posted instruction for setting up wifi(with screenshots). The steps posted there for setting up wifi will be same for my ASUS RT-N13U B1+Dlink DSL-502T+BSNL 750UL setup?

Also how to differentiate between the upgraded version, that is the B1 version of ASUS RT-N13U and the older version? Is B1 written over the box?

I couldn't look at ico post completely.. but those are the standard methods .. just check your modem/router page for similarities with the tutorial...

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi that would not work out for you. I would suggest to get a NAS from Seagate goflex Home adaptor. it supports both internal hdd and usb drives. That itself comes with linux os and it can be tweaked to run torrent 24/7 with least power.

Try it its the best solution. one of the digit member is already selling it for 2.2k . You can save more. He also customize for you and give a pendrive if you pay 200 more with that plugged in you get the option to download unlimited files round the clock.

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
I also have same requirement like OP to download torrent 24x7 without keeping my pc ON all the time..but I m sorry that I m unable to properly understand what all members in this thread are posting. So it'll be much appreciated if anyone tells or gives a link for a easy step by step method for our torrent downloading requirement. And what all is needed like pen drive or extrenal hard drive or modem etc..?? Also wifi is not necessary...wired connections can do..only requirement is to dnld torrent. Hope it makes clear :)

Top Bottom