Your take on Symbian?

eminemence

Journeyman
Hi,
I have been a Symbian device user since 2005 and have never looked back since then.
Currently the state of Symbian is not well perceived. There is lot of negative press related to Symbian. I would agree that there are inherent flaws in the user experience, but still there are positives as well. IMHO the Nokia N97 was truly a awesomely dreadful device which was released in the market. Since then the device and the total user experience has improved leaps and bounds.
Agree or disagree?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
One word: Veteran!

That name has become so stale that even if Apple releases iOS renamed as Symbian OS, people will stay away from it. From what I have seen, those who say bad about Symbian without using OS like iOS or WP7 or android are just following word of mouth and they have no idea that Symbian could very well be more than enough for them.

Had Nokia continued Maemo (about a year or two ago), renamed it to S^4 or what ever and published a note that Symbian is designed from groundup and pushed for the total ecosystem, Stephen Elop would've never made into Nokia now.

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
I was once a nokia fan boy but now once i ate apple.. its all about apple. Seriously what turn me down was n95 8GB. Not the feature but the build quality. 30k phone, in 6 months trackpad color gone and in 1yr sold for 6k. Before that n80IE took for 21k, 5months slider gone, sold in 1.2 yrs for 5K. I am actually afraid from nokia. Last one i liked from nokia was n900. But not symbian.

GERMZ

Banned
I'm a still a Symbian lover.. it does all the basics very well. The social aspect is decent using third party apps. Monster battery life and great optics. Over all good package.

rajeevk

Journeyman
I am totally a Nokia fan and so of Symbian OS. I am now waiting for Nokia's windows phone. Let us wait and see.

mitraark

Decrepit
Although iOS and Android are now the current heavyweights of the Mobile OS market [ not surprising , so many Apps being made by independant programmers ] , Symbian still has more than decent applications , i bet i can use a Nokia phone more productively than a Samsung Android phone or a Apple iPhone.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I owned 3 symbian phone...and currentlly using 5800 but seriously I am using it just for its usability and not anything else...5800 is fat and not so good looking...touch response is slow and waht not...but its very useful device

I always liked SE cool looking phones and UI but sadly SE never made a good smartphone..I am still hoping to get SE NEO or Arc soon

Last sunday in zee business or some channel 'Mobiles and More' show told that Maemo is the most difficult OS to use and normal public would be in utter confusion soo keep away from it:smile:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
My take:

1. Symbian^3 is supremely optimized
2. No frills OS
3. Simplistic UI (problem lies with multi-layering)
4. Sufficient necessary quality apps
5. Amazing HD games
6. All apps and games supported across every Symbian^3 phone
7. Continual updates, received by every Symbian^3 phone

Point 2,3,6,7 apply for Symbian S60 and S40 too.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, I'm still using a Nokia 5800. I want to get a new Android phone bigtime, but honestly, at the moment I'm satisfied.

Nokia 5800 does the job for me just like my Nokia 1108 does with good battery life.

GERMZ

Banned
I owned 3 symbian phone...and currentlly using 5800 but seriously I am using it just for its usability and not anything else...5800 is fat and not so good looking...touch response is slow and waht not...but its very useful device

I always liked SE cool looking phones and UI but sadly SE never made a good smartphone..I am still hoping to get SE NEO or Arc soon

Last sunday in zee business or some channel 'Mobiles and More' show told that Maemo is the most difficult OS to use and normal public would be in utter confusion soo keep away from it:smile:

Don't believe everything you hear.. Maemo was absolutely THE best OS. Amazing operating system.. just wish it had some more consumer level interest.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Maemo wasn't marketed proplerly! Well, it definitely had the power to rule... Nokia even abandoned MeeGo!

Linux will continue to be the dominant player in mobile market! Android has got market share because it has practically got no competitor! There is no Linux based OS like Android currently in market!

deathwish

Are you dead yet?
Symbian is a dying OS. But the old makes way for the new, right? Unless they completely revamp their approach to designing UIs, implant them on good smartphones, and create a USP that is lucrative from the customer's point of view, we won't be seeing it around much longer.

GERMZ

Banned
There is a brand new UI coming ! Its called Belle and there are screenshots n all floating around everywhere.

They do have a USP.. excellent hardware , great camera !

Sarath

iDota
I think symbian is still a good OS and others are quickly catching up though. Let me first tell you I have experienced Java(Samsung), Symbian S30, Moto razr(no idea what it ran), S60v3 Nokia N85(by far the best I have used), Blackberry OS6 on 9000series (month), Symbian S60 touch ver N C7(month), iOS 4.0 on ipod and Android 2.3.3 on my Xperia arc [current]

I would put Symbian, Android and iOS equally or in that order. Followed by the other OSes.

But the UI was lacking in appeal. Although that never bothered me. Since it let me do everything.
I remebering tethering it to my ipod to DL free apps from app store and surf net.
Then opening a torrent and putting an overnight DL of my fav anime.
A Carl Zeiss 5MP gave me decent photos. A good music player. It had everything.

My latest android 2.3 for some reason doesnt feel like a huge jump from my prev one especially considering its more than 2years old.

Lets not even talk about the iphone. I cant even transfer a photo to my friends phone.

I think those people should have brought out maemo for they already had in Symbian what is being offerered now in the other OSes. All they needed was to improve the UI which they didnt. Bad move!

harm064

Broken In
I have the Nokia N8 and the Nokia E7. Avid Nokia user here. This doesn't necessarily mean that I am fanboy.

Why I love Nokia phones.

1. Sturdy
2. Battery Life
3. Praiseworthy camera
4. Good music options
5. UI - I see people using this term very flaccidly. I think they are referring to UX - User experience - I love it.
Yes there maybe some hiccups but those are easily resolvable issues.

Every device has some

Now from a neutral point of view - why is the American media/blogger/tech reviewers so hell bent on demeaning Nokia. Any one over here who follows Engadget would know what I mean. Are they simply a subtle marketing cog?
You can't even do basic things such as send files over Bluetooth. C'mon man for Christ’s sake it 2011!

I do like the Android though but again the battery issue.

Honestly I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Nokia WP7 device also AF only :p

Any mobile techie would have been intrigued by the WP7 Mango. At least by the video [YOUTUBE]OP30F3ZxTmw[/YOUTUBE]

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anirvann

Broken In
Agree with Harm here. UX over UI. The UI in itself does everything which the closes competitor ie Android does.

Widgets - Yes
Multiple Homscreens - Yes
Multiple levels of menus AND folders support - YES !

What it lacks however is the fluidity which i can see that they're finally working on.. i can only hope that with the coming updates this minor niggle gets fixed.

Other than that the top notch cameras , battery life , free offline navigation make it the best buy for me !

Really looking forward to see what they do with WP7 now !

Sarath

iDota
Wish they had stuck on to meago a little longer.

Lets not even talk about the poor Americans. They cant even switch sim cards.

sujoyp

Grand Master
symbian OS never felt smooth and attractive anyways...they claim it needs less hardware requirement but actually I have to put all the animation swicched off or else phone works just too slow..

If anybody have used SE phones in 2006-07 they can easily say that their UI was far smooth and animated then symbian..

I advice to nokia...put 1.2GHZ procc + Adreno graphics and make the UI hell fluid and animated...I would love it:razz:

Top Bottom