XPS M1530: a brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
actually my solution may not be correct but its definetly a try atleast/...
\
i tried to install USB driver for my BSNL modem yeserday...

simlar thing happened.. it asked me to plug in the usb cord...

nothing happened...

i waited.. i waited.. then after a solid 3-4 minutes... it said driver installed correctly..

so better wait and see...

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
actually my solution may not be correct but its definetly a try atleast/...
\
i tried to install USB driver for my BSNL modem yeserday...

simlar thing happened.. it asked me to plug in the usb cord...

nothing happened...

i waited.. i waited.. then after a solid 3-4 minutes... it said driver installed correctly..

so better wait and see...

its the ultimate feature of vista...u wont even know what its doin sometimes:D
but all we can know is ....itll take a lot of time:D

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ya may be...

anyway just now installed nVIDIA ForceWare X 175.95 ...

fortunately this time there was a .inf file compilation for all the series.. by antoher memeber of the same thread... have installed it...

since i dont have crysis cd with me .. i have to wait a another 2-3 hours and then i wil lknow

xbonez

NP : Crysis
^^ aah! ok ... lemme wait and see ... i haven't waited more than 15sec until now

its the ultimate feature of vista...u wont even know what its doin sometimes:D

*85.17.184.130/forums/style_emoticons/DarksideRG/haha.gif

**** EDIT ****

waited 15 min .... no luck

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i am selecting 'Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR)' for Dell XPS M1530

seems like the right driver

aytus

The Boss
*direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

more details on the bios updates.. now finally my wait for 9600GT is gonna pay off.. btw any idea when are dell goin to update their portfolio?? any idea when is centrino 2 comin.. got my eyes on 9600GT and P8400

My understanding is that the GPU and substrate bond (I assume they're using some sort of epoxy, or some sort of underflowed bonding material) was slightly off-spec. That means that it doesn't share the same coefficient of thermal expansion as the substrate, and the GPU.

Everyone knows that Heat-Cold-Heat stress shocking causes extreme wear on that bond, and it's apparently just a matter of time before the affected parts fail. There was speculation for a while that Nvidia knew about this since the A1 and A2 revisions of the 8600 GPUs had different core voltages, which was rather curious.

And also fyi The new BIOS updates will not have any noticeable impact on battery life. The fan may cycle on more frequently, but it will run at half or a quarter of its full speed.

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
did u download the drivers from the dell site ?

and ad for BIOS update... any one did bios update .. can anyone post gaming performance under it ?
and also system performancce on the whole ..

i have got the update but not sure whether to proceed or not .. coz i dont want my GPU to gget locked or run fan at certain speed/rpm after i do a OCing...

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
then it should work..

or else do one thing .. try to remove the driver compltetly... i mean when it asks for removal of driver .. it will also ask for whether the driver should be completely remove.. remove it and try reinstalling... but rememebr .. u cant roll back,,..

did u try windows update ??

u may get drivers in optional downloads in windows update coulmn...

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
hi,
have ny of u tried XP on M1530?
no driver support on dell India or global:x
im tryin to dual boot XP and vista

Dell has premade 4 primary partition and only one of em cud be formatted for our usage...:x
and the recovery partion is the extended one and vista's shrink cant convert the unallocated space from primary to extended.
So now i used Acronis boot disc and deleted everythin from HDD, and now ive got 234GB of unallocated space on it.

i wonder if i ll get all drivers if i install XP first. But sure im not gonna let the genuine Vista go wasted..planning for a dual boot.

@ naveen
btw i tried A09 bios and the GPU was running cooler than before, and performance was same...only 2 points different on 3D mark for older A08 bios. But GPU temps was down by 5c under oced condiions.
On older bios, the max GPU temps during 3DM benching was 76c and after flashing, it went down to 71c:smile:
but the fans almost runnig all the time, but the noise is very low, as the idle fan speed has been lowered, but however fan speed at full system load is somewhat same as before.

will try XP/Vista from scratch and will be back:smile:

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
thanks for the comment on the new bios brother...

will update it now ..

and did u by any means got a partition ?? any method ?

actually dell shouldn't have done this.. simply to ge more money from us .. they hve locked us out like this ..

now i have store everything on my OS partition which really sucks..coz its very difficult to organize....

why install a XP .. i am not sure whether they support XP drvier.. why take risk...

anyway ...good luck..

happpy friendship day

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
happy frenship day bro
btw, i used acronis boot disc and deleted all partitions and tried XP oot disc.
But XP disc fails to detect an HDD!!!:mad:
it says it cudnt detect any HDD on this computer. i tried XP pre, Xp pro Sp2 and the new SP3 integrated, but in vein.

But vista install was a breeze, got three partitions 30, 60, and 142. Installed Vista on 30.
All drivers got installed correctly, then installed Sp1, and then the nvidia 175.97 and oced further.
3D Mark score went thru the roofs of 8600GT, with 6303 @ 1024*768 :lol:
clocks were 645/770 and max temps logged using riva tuner was 74c.

didnt check the proccy temps, as i dun think a stock penryne @ 2.1 Ghz will even go above 40c.

will install Crysis, UT3 etc and will post the result soon.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
happy frenship day bro
btw, i used acronis boot disc and deleted all partitions and tried XP oot disc.
But XP disc fails to detect an HDD!!!:mad:
it says it cudnt detect any HDD on this computer. i tried XP pre, Xp pro Sp2 and the new SP3 integrated, but in vein.

But vista install was a breeze, got three partitions 30, 60, and 142. Installed Vista on 30.
All drivers got installed correctly, then installed Sp1, and then the nvidia 175.97 and oced further.
3D Mark score went thru the roofs of 8600GT, with 6303 @ 1024*768 :lol:
clocks were 645/770 and max temps logged using riva tuner was 74c.

didnt check the proccy temps, as i dun think a stock penryne @ 2.1 Ghz will even go above 40c.

will install Crysis, UT3 etc and will post the result soon.

just few questions..
1.) how much performance increase have u got thru this ?? whts ur prev banchmark value ? how much is now ?
2.)does BIOS update revert back to prev one ? ( silly question though ) just curious...
3.)also please give detailed value on temp... after long play hours..
4.)and also please tell me is there a way to un OC ... after unlocking the card ?? i mean , i know that u have to fiddle with some reg to unlock the GFX card.. ?

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
1) actually the performance gain is almost nil, but with lower temps GPU can atain higher clocks.
2) I think BIOS can be reverted back. I just ran the A09.exe and it said, flash the bios after restart "y"/"N" . And after 2 min i was back on desktop. Its simple.
3) I think temp logging for long hours is not necessary, as the temp graph on rivatuner was moving much lower than on older bios, and even after long hours of gaming, its gonna continue that way.
I got almost 3~4c lower temps at max load than on older BIOS.
4) Yup, u can easily un oc. just click on default on rivatuner, and its done. U dun need to unlock nythin to oc. just install the driver's which is meant for 8600GT [not M GT]. open rivatuner, and start moving the slider and the GPU gets oced along with it.
open its hardware monitor graph and performs some benchs or gaming and see if the temps goes above 75c.

[ive updated my first and second posts with more photos and links to rivatuner, ATI tool, and also ive given my updated bench scores with each forceware releases]

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Sorry for interrupting but I'm planning to buy a Laptop this Nov. or Dec. and was thinking about XPS1530, initially thought of M1730 but its way too expensive so can you tell me few things about M1530:

1. Total effective price for it that you payed?
  2. Options, if any available for GPU?
  3. Max. RAM upgradable to?
  4. Chipset?
  5. Is MoBo or Drivers or OS Disk included?
  6. Finally, will it be a good buy then,I mean in December?
My Budget is 60K max. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom