Windows vs Linux: Power to the user

Status
Not open for further replies.

staticsid

Team Digit
Hello all,

We at Digit are conducting a short survey to get your feedback regarding the everlasting war between the Windows and Linux user camp. 10 minutes of your time is all it will take up.

1. Please do not be bias towards any one operating system when filling out the survey. We want all of you to sit on the fence with this one.

2. Please be specific. For instance, to the question "how long have you been using windows", don't reply "Since i was born". You need to be very specific with your answers.

3. Do not consider any additional software. We want to know about "out-of-the-box" performance.

How long have you been using Linux?

How long have you been using Windows?

Which OS did you begin using first?

Objectives (Please provide a short explanation for your experiences in each of the provided tasks):

1. When you installed Linux/Windows, which one did you find easier to install?

2. Which OS provided the best default programs post installation?

3. Which of the OS's provided the best default web browser based on 1.functionality, 2.security, and 3.user-friendliness?

4. Which OS did you find better to customize based on how easy it was to customize, the amount of visual and audible appeal, and the variety of customization available for the OS.

5. Which OS did you find it easier to add new programs based on how easy it was to find the software, how easy it was to install.

6. Which OS provided a better networking experience in terms of security, setting up a LAN (wired and wireless), printer (network or direct) and functionality.

7. Which OS is a better base for productivity, whether it be programming,
writing, graphical design, etc. ( It can be a combination of these if you do more than one. Feel free to add your own.)

8. Which OS provided better file and folder management based on copying
and moving files, finding your files, adding and deleting files.

9. Which OS was easier to maintain based on scanning/removing viruses and malware, defragmenting and cleaning up disk space, and backing up your information.

10. Which OS do you find easier to troubleshoot based on man/info/help pages, working out issues on your own, and online help like forums and online
documentation.

11. Which OS provided the most stability and performance based on cpu usage, peripheral hardware compatibility (IE: mouse, tablet, webcam), software and OS freezing, crashing, locking-up, and hardware compatibility.

12. Anything additional worth a mention as far as this comparison between Linux and Windows goes?

cyberjar09

Right off the assembly line
3 years

18 years

Windows 3.1

im an ubuntu user so my answers will be more specific to it.

Objectives (Please provide a short explanation for your experiences in each of the provided tasks):

I found Windows to be a very streamlined installer where user's are expected not to run any other operating system other than Microsoft's. Thats not necessarily a good thing. Ubuntu installed very smoothly as well, but first time users may find it a little baffling incase they don't understand the different file systems.

so the answer is : Windows for beginners, Linux for someone with a better understanding of computers.

Definitely Ubuntu (Linux). Microsoft expects user's to install software after the windows installation which is a painful affair.

3. Which of the OS's provided the best default web browser based on 1.functionality, 2.security, and 3.user-friendliness?

functionality: firefox trumps IE
security: hard to say with the revamped IE9, firefox seems a little less secure.

user friendliness: Firefox is more user friendly

4. Which OS did you find better to customize based on how easy it was to customize, the amount of visual and audible appeal, and the variety of customization available for the OS.

Ease of customisation: Ubuntu (Linux) is better. Allows things like "always on top", mouse scroll on window to roll upwards, changing wrkspaces etc.

audio visual appeal: Windows 7 is very impressive

cusomisation available to the OS: Linux wins here. It's open source, do what you want! use software like tweakui and compiz

5. Which OS did you find it easier to add new programs based on how easy it was to find the software, how easy it was to install.

windows applications are available dime a dozen! so its easier to find

software center in ubuntu makes life a whole lot easier. but windows takes this one.

6. Which OS provided a better networking experience in terms of security, setting up a LAN (wired and wireless), printer (network or direct) and functionality.

windows networking s painful when compared to how easy it is in ubuntu. Network printers get automatically installed and samba makes life a whole lot easier.

im not aware of the security on either windows or ubuntu.

writing, graphical design, etc. ( It can be a combination of these if you do more than one. Feel free to add your own.)

when it comes to design software like photoshop etc or games, nothing takes the cake quite like windows.

writing code is usually a platform independant action unless you are developing .Net (i think)

8. Which OS provided better file and folder management based on copying and moving files, finding your files, adding and deleting files.

Both windows and Linux seem the same to me in this respect

9. Which OS was easier to maintain based on scanning/removing viruses and malware, defragmenting and cleaning up disk space, and backing up your information.

LINUX. no chance here for windows.

10. Which OS do you find easier to troubleshoot based on man/info/help pages, working out issues on your own, and online help like forums and online documentation.

Windows is easier to figure out for me since i have been using it for so long. But now with Ubuntu as my primary OS, i want to make a huge mention about the ubuntu forum which is excellent when it comes to support for problems being faced by user's. I had many issues with ubuntu but they are all resolved thanks to the forum.

11. Which OS provided the most stability and performance based on cpu usage, peripheral hardware compatibility (IE: mouse, tablet, webcam), software and OS freezing, crashing, locking-up, and hardware compatibility.

hardware compatability out of the box: windows wins

stability of the OS itself : Linux is much much more stable

12. Anything additional worth a mention as far as this comparison between Linux and Windows goes?

i'd like to mention that the only reason Windows is still the most used OS today, it is only because people have a "fear" of the unknown (Linux). Once the initial learning curve has been overcome, the comfort of a user in linux will be the same as a user in Windows. For me personally, im just as comfortable in ubuntu now as i am in windows.

Great questionaire! =D

Gollum

Collector
Less than a year.

10years

Windows95

used windows 95 for educational purpose, later shifted to 98 and used it till xp was released.
Windows. Windows xp to be specific.

Linux came with the best default apps.
Firefox is the best of both os and is default for linux.
Windows xp since i used it more. Linux was a bit confusing.

Windows

Windows
windows
Windows

Linux for removing virus and windows for the rest.
10. Which OS do you find easier to troubleshoot based on man/info/help pages, working out issues on your own, and online help like forums and online
documentation.
Windows
Windows98 was a bit buggy but windows xp changed all that. No problems with 7. Never used vista.
Most computer games are not released for linux and it is sometimes difficult to find device drivers for specific hardware for linux os.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hello all,
First time I used Linux was Red Hat Linux 8.0 in mid 2004. However I moved fully to Linux with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) in November 2006.

The first time I used Windows was in 1996, Windows 3.1 on a school lab.
However for my own desktop, Windows 98 was the one I used in August 2000.

In this order:

Windows
BeOS
Linux

Which distro do you mean by installing? Various Linux distributions are there with variable scope of ease of installation.
Since you are comparing Linux with Windows, I would assume an easy to use distro like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mandriva. In that case I find Ubuntu/Linux Mint installer as the best as it is Live CD based installation, very straightforward and intuitive. Also I can browse the web while the installation is taking place. Mandriva's installer is fine too (Non-Live CD), as each step is straightforward.
Windows installer on the other hand is HORRIBLE. It wipes out the boot loader of a previously installed Linux OS. Secondly in case of Win 7 installer, the initial screen resolution is horrible and the installer at times is confusing as well.

Ubuntu. It has a good browser called Firefox, a PDF reader, Bitorrent Client, Office suite, Photo Manager, which serve very well. Windows on the other falls way behind.

Ubuntu. Firefox is more functional (even without add-ons) than Internet Explorer, more user friendly, is as secure as Internet Explorer if not more.

Linux. There is no comparison here. In terms of customization, any Linux distro blows away Windows, as we get the choice of desktop environments, Windows managers, and customization in terms of widgets and panels.
Distros like Ubuntu also come with a good variety of themes in default install, Windows on the other hand can only change colour scheme, etc.

Ubuntu/Linux. Ubuntu has Ubuntu Software Center which provides a one stop solution for finding and installing software. The applications installed are installed from the repository which make them eligible for the updates along with core OS components. In Windows, we have to search, download, execute and what not.

Linux. Regarding Networking it's highly subjective. But still it meets my needs better as I require SSH, and openssh, apache are command(s)/click(s) away from installation.
In terms of printing, Linux works better for me as I have an HP printer and it just plugs and plays. Default Ubuntu also has a scanning app(my printer is an MFD). In Windows, it wasn't that convenient.

For Programming (except Windows RAD), Linux is a better solution. However for RAD of .NET applications, you can install Visual Studio for Windows which can be compelling for this purpose.
In terms of Writing, Graphics design, Windows has better 3rd part support, with Adobe, Corel, etc.
Windows edges out here due to third party support.

Linux. Supports both its own native file systems and Windows File systems like NTFS/FAT. While Windows Explorer is slightly more compelling than Nautilus, however the fact that I use Linux Native partitions which are not supported in Windows making file management a no job in Windows.

ext4 doesn't need defragmenting, and Linux doesn't have any malware problem particularly if you pay attention. Backing up in Windows is probably easier due to third party support.
However Linux slightly edges out here.

documentation.
Linux. Bold part explains.

For me both Linux and Windows are stable, and all my hardware works. So let it be a tie here.

If you are a gamer, you have no choice but to stick with Windows. Additionally third party support from companies like Adobe, Corel, etc. as well as some mature products by MS make Windows an option for a lot of people.

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
12 years Started with redhat 5.2
15 years
Windows3.1

Windows wins here .
Linux
3. Which of the OS's provided the best default web browser based on 1.functionality
2.security once it was Linux but not there is not much difference.
3.user-friendliness FF is on both

Windows .
Windows.
Windows
Linux is good too if u can find the drivers
Programming on Windows is easy
Same on both
If the system is infected then on windows its easier to remove viruses.

documentation.
windows
cpu usage: same on both
peripheral hardware compatibility: windows
software and OS freezing :depends upon the version of the OS
crashing:depends upon the version of the OS
locking-up:depends upon the version of the OS
hardware compatibility: Windows
Linux needs better sound support , not breaking compatibility with every new release and a uniform ABI and API .

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Linux since 2006. I started off with Arch Linux straight away and then to Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn."

I started off with Windows 98 when I got my computer in 2002.

Windows 98.

Ubuntu was much easier to install for me.

Over the period of time, Linux distributions have provided best default programs post installation. In Windows, you have to manually install the necessary things.

Linux obviously. One word Firefox.

Not a fan of customization. I prefer an Operating System's default skin and default wallapaper.

Earlier it was Windows, now Ubuntu edges it for me.

Everything works out of the box in Ubuntu these days. With Arch Linux, it is a question of doing things your own way so I'm keeping that context away.

Programming: Linux
Graphic Design: Windows

Linux.

Linux.

10. Which OS do you find easier to troubleshoot based on man/info/help pages, working out issues on your own, and online help like forums and online documentation.
After you go through the learning curves of both the Operating Systems, you always know what you have to do. This is a tie.

Linux has always been more stable for me.

Ubuntu has reached a point where it can be easily used as a home Operating System - much better "out of the box" performance than Windows.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Windows. Windows xp to be specific.

Windows wins here .

Linux needs better sound support , not breaking compatibility with every new release and a uniform ABI and API .

I would like to see some perspective and elaboration on these points. I am bit curious on how Windows installer is easier and elaboration of the part in bold (unless your point about API is regarding sound only, to which I will agree).

Gollum

Collector
I would like to see some perspective and elaboration on these points. I am bit curious on how Windows installer is easier and elaboration of the part in bold (unless your point about API is regarding sound only, to which I will agree).
when i installed win xp i didn't know how to install xp or an operating system in general. And i had no problem installing it.

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
i dont know i always found windows easy to install its just point and click

as a device and embedded programmer the 6th month release cycle of linux is a sure head ache ,
regarding the API thing ,they no standard API for linux

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
2years

6 years

Windows 95

When i installed windows i was new to computers per say. So it took me a while to figure out. By the time i got to using linux i was much more aware, it was also better documented. I cant give a proper answer

Linux. Evertyhing you need is there right after isntallation. With windows,there is a post set up time of at least half an hour. Lesser in 7, since the drivers are pr installed but still its a pain.

Ubuntu Linux comes by default with Firefox which is amazing to use, fast, secure and easy

Customization : Linux

Linux! The software center makes it so easy to isntall application, no more wading though a website finding the download link, saving the exe blah blah

Linux and Windows equally. Except on windows you need to install 400mb worth HP Printer driver junk which will start on boot everytime

Graphic design, 3d modelling etc : Windows. Unmatched simply because the alternative tools dont match up and the adobe suite is not there on Linux
Otherwise for daily task like office : Linux since office tools are pre installed

Pretty much the same.

Haha! No malware or virus on Linux. Windows users give me thier pendrives to pick and weed out malware with ease. Hello there OLOLO.exe :)

documentation.
Linux, amazing community. Man page for everything.

Windows tends to be more compatible with tablets , again due to software being built for it.
Linux is solid as rock, no hanging or crashing for me in ages. OS freezing is non existent.

Really wish top companies start proting tools like Adobe Suite to linux. Give people a choice, c'mon !

Krow

Crowman
1 year

11 years

Windows. Obvious, isn’t it?

Linux, because I installed it inside windows, without a hitch. Haven’t yet installed linux as the base OS.

Linux (Mint, especially). I need a software set or a Digit DVD before I can do anything on Windows, not so in Linux.

Linux, most definitely. Firefox (Lin) is waaaaaay better than IE (Win) in all three aspects.

Linux. Compiz fusion is simply unbeatable. The default music and layout is more soothing in Linux (Mint and Ubuntu).

Linux. The repository has almost all the software one needs and it auto installs too. The problem is that one is very used to the Windows way of doing things. Once we keep an open mind, the Linux way is actually easier. With newer iterations of Linux, it has actually become easier to install .deb, .run packages too. Now that I look back, it took me longer to learn how to install software in windows than to figure out how to do that in Windows.

Never setup networked devices in either OS.

If Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress, InDesign, CorelDRAW, etc. had a linux version, I would not use Windows. It is very discriminatory that these softwares are developed for Windows and Mac, but not for Linux.

I guess both are pretty much on par here.

Linux for security. Windows is very problematic there. For others, I think the default options in Windows are not that good. We need third party softwares like CCleaner.

documentation.
Windows. Larger user base, larger support. Google helps. But, whenever I posted any query about Linux on forums, I got the required answers. Never need to post for Windows.

Linux

We need all Windows games on Linux!!!

way2jatin

Journeyman
the main advantage agaisnt linux is that we dont need to install any of the additional software

Like in case of windows we dont get MS Office or Nero or any messenger but in linux we get Open office, Pidgin and Brasero DVD Burner

Secondly we see that linux is fast as compared to Windows

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob

I'm not a regular Linux user but I use Linux on an on-off basis. My first experience with Linux was back in 2005. Since then, I try out a new distro occasionally but when the novelty value wears off, I switch back to my platform of choice.

I have been using Windows since I first started using a computer. My earliest memory of a Windows system dates back to 1997 when we were taught the basics of Windows 95 in school.

Windows 95. Although my home computer came with Windows 98 SE pre-installed.

Windows. My first attempt at a Windows installation was with Windows 2000 Professional, in 2002. The installation was straightforward. A novice like me was able to get it up and running.

My experience with Linux wasn't that great. As a novice, I was lost in the partitioning options and when I did get around to installing it, I lost my Windows bootloader since I had not specifically added its entry.

Although I must admit, things have changed dramatically regarding Linux installations. Still, I feel Windows installs are simpler.

Linux. No contest. Select the right packages and you're good to go.

Linux again. Firefox owns Windows' default Internet Explorer.

Windows wins here. The amount of customization resources available for Windows is simply mind-boggling. Add thousands of new themes, make it look like a Mac or even a Linux distro. Add a sidebar, gadgets, docks, fences. It's all possible.

With the arrival of Windows 7 the user interface has become fresher and friendlier (is that a word?) than ever before.

Finding the software you need is a cinch with Windows. Linux has that repository, but the choices available to a Windows user are almost limitless. You can get at least 3-5 programs that cater to a single requirement, ranging from paid to shareware to freeware.

Installation is as simple as Next, Next, Finish in Windows. Getting the right package, dependencies etc. is something I found confusing in Linux. A novice may download the thing, but may not have enough patience to actually learn how to install it.

My Windows system has been compromised a few times, so I can't vouch for its security. Linux has always won the security battle and I can't prove otherwise. Things might have improved now with Windows Defender being installed by default, but I'm not so sure.

Setting up a LAN was equally simple in both environments. I haven't tried installing a printer, though.

For graphical designing stuff, Windows wins comfortably. Linux alternatives just haven't evolved to that level where they can pose a threat to giants like Adobe and Quark.

Windows offers nothing out of the box to a programmer, except the humble notepad. Linux comes with a lot of resources by default but you can easily build a development system on Windows by installing some freeware. If we talk about the big two of Java and .Net, you can write applications for both these platforms in Windows.

Windows. More specifically, Windows 7 with its Libraries.

Lots of viruses and anti-viruses for Windows. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. But if your computer gets infected, most likely there will be a removal tool out there.
Windows wins in the defrag, backup and cleanup stakes. It's all built-in and easy to use. Easy Transfer is another one.

documentation.

There may be a huge Linux and OSS community but the help available for Windows problems is great. Most of the times a simple googling of the error message leads you to the cause, solution and avoidance tactics for that problem. The in-built help & support center is also good for learning about the OS and common errors.

Hardware compatibility and driver availability - Windows. SuSE Linux failed to recognize my display adapter.
My Windows system doesn't crash on me unless I do something stupid. So yeah, it's pretty stable.

For gaming, Windows rules. No contest.

The devil is not so black as he is painted. Windows still remains a competent and robust computing platform. There are enough freeware and OSS alternatives for Windows too. And that is the whole point - choices.

• PS: I'm not a Windows fanboy, nor a Linux hater. I'm just an ordinary PC user who spoke from his experience. :p

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
5+ years

8+ years

DOS then Win 98

Windows was easier but now Linux is much easier.

Linux.

Linux.

Linux

Windows previously but now it's Linux

Both come close but Windows wins for a starter

Linux but if you are an artist then Windows.

Linux.

Linux.

documentation.
Linux.

Linux.

Gaming is for Windows.

abhijangda

Padawan
4+ years

10+ years

Win 98

Windows

Linux

Linux

Windows

Linux because of repositories.

for security Linux, but for others Windows

Both

Linux

Linux

documentation.
Windows

Linux

Although at present Linux lacks in customization and online support available but still it is ahead of Windows in stability, security etc.(which are of prime importance).

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how to use Linux.....:(
All I can say that Windows is very very easy to learn than Linux.....
No, it isn't the case.

You have used Windows all your life and never bothered to give Linux a try it deserves. A little different way of doing things doesn't translate into X being easier than Y. Ease is more related to usability.

Last edited:

way2jatin

Journeyman
No, it isn't the case.

You have used Windows all your life and never bothered to give Linux a try it deserves. A little different way of doing things doesn't translate into X being easier than Y. Ease is more related to usability.

I totally agree with you

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
No, it isn't the case.

yes it does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom