Windows is !easy, Linux is !hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
MetalheadGautham said:
you can install software by compiling in windows too, but its too complicated. you can go commandline in windows too, but its too complicated. thats why you have only GUIed exes for windows. The former options are very easy in linux, so you use them. Linux GUI is also very easy, but the previous methords are prefered for ease of informing others(commandline) and compatibility(compiling). you are not used to these stuff on windows because they are dead difficult. Let me see you try to compile lame on a fresh windows install.
so in short for u typing lines of commands is easier than simply double clicking :rolleyes: and y do i need to compile anything ... i hav simple exe for everything ;) double click direct the installation and done:) simple enough as the title says as compared to what needs to do in linux

iMav said:
so in short for u typing lines of commands is easier than simply double clicking :rolleyes: and y do i need to compile anything ... i hav simple exe for everything ;) double click direct the installation and done:) simple enough as the title says as compared to what needs to do in linux

compatibility reasons force one to compile. a software compiled on your computer runs perfectly on it without any possible compatibility related defects. and yes, coppy pasting commands and pressing enter is nothing difficult compared to a double click. who says you have exes for every single thing? besides, who the heck told you that you MUST only use compiling and commands for linux softwares?

besides, as I already said, browsing the net, downloading the needed software(and waiting a lot for that download on a cheap IE download) then locating the file, double clicking and then single clicking a few times is much more difficult and less secure than a simple copy paste of a command and pressing enter. you are in full control in the linux command way, as messages tell you what is going where and allow you to stop/undo the process. In exes, you are most vulnerable to viruses.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
MetalheadGautham said:
besides, as I already said, browsing the net, downloading the needed software(and waiting a lot for that download on a cheap IE download) then locating the file, double clicking and then single clicking a few times is much more difficult and less secure than a simple copy paste of a command and pressing enter. you are in full control in the linux command way, as messages tell you what is going where and allow you to stop/undo the process. In exes, you are most vulnerable to viruses.
just to remind this is not ur spoof article thread ;)

iMav said:
just to remind this is not ur spoof article thread ;)
and what do you mean by that?

PS: now I understand that you intend to get this topic locked by continuously attacking it and forcing me to use sticks.(If I had used some heavy artilary, or even a sword, you could not have posted again:grin:)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
MetalheadGautham said:
besides, as I already said, browsing the net, downloading the needed software(and waiting a lot for that download on a cheap IE download)
only ubuntu has synaptic and with sites like download.com finding something is not difficult ;)
MetalheadGautham said:
then locating the file,
u candefine where u want to dwonld
MetalheadGautham said:
double clickin is much more difficult and less secure than a simple copy paste of a command and pressing enter.
single clicking a few time tells me and allows me to define where i want to install the app notbeing restricted to wher theos wants to install it; security is proportional to ur common sense; copy-pating now this is the funny part to copy past u need to open a document whr the commands are there to copy from now finding this doc is more difficult ;) i know 1 can memorize the commands but now u explicitly mentioned copy pasting fearing that i wud pounce on u for making me meorize commands unfortuantely either ways u got pwned :D
MetalheadGautham said:
allow you to stop/undo the process.
a cancel button is there in every installer
MetalheadGautham said:
In exes, you are most vulnerable to viruses.
again it depends on ur common sense ;)

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
@metalhead, don't fight with the guy who himself knows nothing other than writing BS and blames others for writing BS.. lol..

Cyrus_the_virus said:
@metalhead, don't fight with the guy who himself knows nothing other than writing BS and blames others for writing BS.. lol..
I agree we better ignore him, as he will get this thread locked and none can benifit from it.:mad:

prasad_den

Padawan
besides, as I already said, browsing the net, downloading the needed software(and waiting a lot for that download on a cheap IE download) then locating the file, double clicking and then single clicking a few times is much more difficult and less secure than a simple copy paste of a command and pressing enter. you are in full control in the linux command way, as messages tell you what is going where and allow you to stop/undo the process.

Seriously, try explaining this to a total noob. It might be easy for you, but really it isn't all that easy at all when one doesn't have an inkling of idea about command-line methods. Finding the right command from the huge list of commands is in itself a big task. I'm talking from experience here. You've got to see the learning curve here. Definitely windows (and maybe OSX too, I haven't used it) has a smaller learning curve than linux.

In exes, you are most vulnerable to viruses.

Please do not deviate from the topic. We're here to discuss exclusively whether windows or linux is easier. Security-wise anyone would agree linux is most safe.

x3060

A LOTR fan
yup . . i agree with that . . a lot of times i wished if there were EXE for Linux :-(. . but then its something we have to get used to is it :-(:-(. . its a tight learning curve for one who is brought up with win.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I think Linux and Open Source is the future !
M$ already started losing market share. Not everyday is sunday, M$

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^ Well whats upto you guys ... Linux is way better and if you say Windows Is Easy Linux iS hard in installing app's you must be kiddding me :p See who will follow tha **** process that .exe file let u do .. Change the location Select Agreement and chosse type of install :| Seesh .. Well these steps are ot involved so linux installer is better :) and What for I use Windows ????????? What special it provides ? ???? games ...????? I can buy consoles :p Well coming to topic Linux is the future and claiming that Linux is hard you can't get it working for you. Lemme tell you if you will give up in mind before trying you will fail for sure.. and The Title Should be Windows is crazy while Linux is Smart :p .. The best thing there is no Windows compter without a malicious files :p now you will say I have blablah Antivirus lemme tel you do install any other and it will and viuce and versa .. Even I saw people with net get Virus which has no use of media and all.. I guess Environment Viruses too hate WIndows :lol:
Linux is ftw :D

and .deb is way easier to install that .exe :p

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Dark Star said:
and .deb is way easier to install that .exe :p
correct me if im wrong do all distros use deb and every linux program has a deb version

a FUD post makes all the sense to u in the world but a proper reply .... should be ignored .... metalhead - wen nothing to reply use the age old escape route - this site is biased; ignore him this and that

the first post in this thread is absolte FUD how abt correcting me and telling every1 who is wrong here

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=678243&postcount=19

&

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=678292&postcount=27

u are saying i will get the thread closed when the original poster has claimed it be a rant thread :lol:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
iMav said:
correct me if im wrong do all distros use deb and every linux program has a deb version

Wrong!
what is linux?
linux is kernel, as you know there are many things required for a OS, you can't just call a kernel as a OS.this is where concept of a distro comes in play.
different distro have different package mgt ways. some are also source based distros. so every distro used some or the other package mgt method.

like redhat - rpm
debian - deb
gentoo - ebuilts etc etc

so always use the package mgt by your distro. its lot easier to install softwares linux as in windows
like to install kde on ubuntu just click:Click me to install KDE & now windows procedure you listed

Installing something in windows:

1. get the file - normally a exe,
2. double click
3. follow the wizard which has normal steps like wheredo u want to install it to; what name u want and what serial no. and thats it
4. some applications might need u to restart (though i find no big deal in a simple restart)
[edit]
err....wait you listed it wrong lemme correct it
its the indian way to install a software:D, lets accept it, i have seen this
suppose you wanna install software named 'xyz', now the process is

1) do a google search on the softie2) go to its site & is its freeware(most unlikely )& download if its paid then search for a the app on some wares sites or p2p sites. now most of the time you are stuck as most common as most sites here are paid or offer you p0rn :(, now if luckily by chance you got a xzy softie from p2p watching p0rn pics & fighting low seeds problem. then
2) now do a virus check on the softie, oh my my definitions are out of date
3) update the anti virus, now you must be using pirated anti virus so you can't update it:D
4) risk or security & privacy and run xzy.exe
5) 90/100 times you will infect your pc and now formatting it the only option
6) else if you are lucky and know a nice warez site which know one is going to tell you on internet,
then install & apply a crack but applying a crack is also not so easy task many of my friends ask it to me daily how to apply a xyz patch:. then enjoy you xyz, else call your support engineer and ask him to format the pc:eek:
7) some users also use windows update. & then their copy is marked
and they get " YOU ARE A THIEF, CONVERT TO ORIGINAL SOFTWARE ELSE LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN"
and don't forget delay in boot & reboot

linux is made for rock solid security & stability

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ so much for something being easy ..... :lol:

for ur question 1 comes to mind - pidgin 2.3

@gary: that was the point i was trying to make that dark star says deb is easier than exe but all lin distros dont have deb ;)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
1. If you consider a average user with Little knowledge of Comps and which are used to Windows and generally have a slow or No internet connection then there is no competition for Windows. Reasons being it has inbuilt support for most popular formats. [MP3 License issues and blabla but what end user needs is that file to run without any hassles. Still MP* is very very popular format. Other are catching up but still no way near to compete as such.]

2. Installing softwares on a comp which has no internet connection is a nightmare for a average guy. For Windows thats not exactly a big prob.

3. Hardware support has improved but drivers are no where near as far as performance or availability is concerned. Main reason being not all Mfgers give Linux Drivers but Windows one is bare essential. Yes Windows doesnt have inbuilt drivers to an extent linux has but its DOESNT NEED it. ALl mfgers give away Windows optimised drivers anyways.

4. In case of no out of the box support for hardware that guy is in a whole lot of pain. It takes hell lot of probs to configure it. I used Linux for 3-4 years and not even once succeded in making a hardware work which wasnt supppported out of the box. [ I am no geek just a average user]

5. People who use Linux are generally ones who are

a. on a low end PC where Windows seem to crawl.
b. What to try out the new OS.
c. Knowledge junkies.

No one tries linux to get something special done which cant be done on Windows. [Except for Programming and Database thing again which is a part geeks are more interested in and not average users.]

As far as dependancy issues are concerned please dont even compete with .rpm to .exe format. .deb is a good one I barely had any issues with them. [I used Debian ETCH earlier] but a bnig SORRY for RPM. That package management is improving but its still as good a junk in most cases. Dowloading and installing a .deb is 1000% easier than a .rpm. As far as windows is concerned I NEVER had any DEPENDANCY issues. NEVER.

Only thing Windows needs updated is DirectX and .Net

Both are available as a single file download and one click install.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
Installing something in linux:

1. if ur using ubuntuget a .deb file which is not available for every application so u have to compile it
2. Now here is how u compile it
3. open terminal
4. go to the directory where the folder is
5. tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
6. cd package
7. ./configure
8. 6 out of 10 times u will get astupid library or package missing error here
9. go to synaptic if ur on ubuntu (if ur not God bless u)
10. Find the req repository/package/library
11. try form step7 again
12. ifa ll goes well then- make
13. theninstall make or whatever (i forgot the command)

there u have it
I haf a simpler way!

1) Goto www.getdeb.net and download the .deb installation file. You'll get most of your popular software here.
2) Double click on it to install.

Thats it! Lesser steps than even Mac OS X! :)

In addition to it you also haf the sources. And during the past 1 year, I hafn't compiled a single program, I swear!

And I remember someone mentioning about Pidgin 2.3, get it here: *www.getdeb.net/release.php?id=1855

iMav said:
Installing something in windows:

1. get the file - normally a exe
2. double click
3. follow the wizard which has normal steps like wheredo u want to install it to; what name u want and what serial no. and thats it
4. some applications might need u to restart (though i find no big deal in a simple restart)
My god! 4 steps! and you forgot the most time consuming step: Reading the EULA!! :D :D

While I agree that not all distros use .deb but then if you are so paranoid about the simplest installation then you can always go wid a debian based distro. Its the best among all OS' (even Windows) when it comes to dependency handling. OSS is all about choice :)

@Ashwin
I'm sure you will be able to install Linux. Believe me, its not tough. Most people vouch for command line just coz they are seasoned users. For all config tasks you haf GUI replacements.

Since you use your old computer only for downloading purpose I suggest you make it a headless computer (without a monitor/keyboard/mouse). Just install Xubuntu in that (even 7.04 would do, rather I'd recommend this version only!), and control this system via VNC or similar software thru your Mac. Just power it up and forget it! Do all admin tasks via Remote connection from your Mac :)

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
iMav said:
^^ so much for something being easy ..... :lol:

for ur question 1 comes to mind - pidgin 2.3

@gary: that was the point i was trying to make that dark star says deb is easier than exe but all lin distros dont have deb ;)
edited the post & now say...

Tech_Wiz said:
1. If you consider a average user with Little knowledge of Comps and which are used to Windows and generally have a slow or No internet connection then there is no competition for Windows. Reasons being it has inbuilt support for most popular formats. [MP3 License issues and blabla but what end user needs is that file to run without any hassles. Still MP* is very very popular format. Other are catching up but still no way near to compete as such.]
i agree you can play Mp3 in windows but what about others, you need to install a codec packs:rolleyes: so in windows also a codec pack is necessary for a full multimedia experience. also there are distro like linux mint can play Mp3 & all the multimedia files you can imagine :twisted:

2. Installing softwares on a comp which has no internet connection is a nightmare for a average guy. For Windows thats not exactly a big prob.
well use aptoncd then say:)

3. Hardware support has improved but drivers are no where near as far as performance or availability is concerned. Main reason being not all Mfgers give Linux Drivers but Windows one is bare essential. Yes Windows doesnt have inbuilt drivers to an extent linux has but its DOESNT NEED it. ALl mfgers give away Windows optimised drivers anyways.

its going to increase as more & more users start using it, currently is good as most hardware are supported
4. In case of no out of the box support for hardware that guy is in a whole lot of pain. It takes hell lot of probs to configure it. I used Linux for 3-4 years and not even once succeded in making a hardware work which wasnt supppported out of the box. [ I am no geek just a average user]

a average user in windows also uses services of a tech guy to configure, similar you can do it with linux
5. People who use Linux are generally ones who are

a. on a low end PC where Windows seem to crawl.
b. What to try out the new OS.
c. Knowledge junkies.
not true, i started linux because of pain finding cracks & viruses

No one tries linux to get something special done which cant be done on Windows. [Except for Programming and Database thing again which is a part geeks are more interested in and not average users.]
there is a terms like efficiency, speeds & security & stability for that you have to use linux

Only thing Windows needs updated is DirectX and .Net

Both are available as a single file download and one click install

did you forget defrag, registry cleaning,av virus ,firewall updates,spyware updates and last thing reading the new paper that there a some virus named kamasutra, which will infect your pc:D
and can't open any of your mail attachments:p
example:ntde1ect.com - the virus is irritating now check the solution given

Isn't this geeky??

In the end Linux sucks but windows sucks more, as i say ALL OS SUCKS

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
Arey what is the point of such threads..?? Let everyone use the OS they are comfortable with.. Why are u all trying to convert others..??
Like I use XP for gaming, Vista/Gutsy for General/TP use and OS X for tp..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom