Windows 8.... What do you think ?

Upgrading to Windows 8 ?

• Yes, For Sure !

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • No, Never Win 7 Is Still Best !

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Maybe, I'll Give Final Decision on Oct 26 !

Votes: 44 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Not much difference visually. For that matter Aero Glass present in RP has been removed from RTM. It is the only visual change you will notice

However RTM is definitely a better experience. RP was so problematic that I removed it after 2-3 days. For me all metro apps weren't working in RP. Also I was having issues with slow internet connection and occasional graphics driver crashes

rahul_c

Journeyman
Can anyone tell me how to exit windows or go back when in the "new start menu"?

Oh I figured it out, you have to go to the apps title bar somewhere in middle and drag it to the bottom of screen. Its pretty cool!

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@rahul. dragging an app from top to bottom will exit. Dragging from top to right or left will let you squeeze the app in a pane. This mode is really useful. It lets you multi task between two metro or a metro and non metro app

reniarahim1

Youngling
This is valid for pc's bought after june 2012 i guess. for other upgrades it will be around 2.5k.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Win 8 is not just about a UI upgrade from win 7. The kernel is modified and includes efficient scheduling logic which will benefit multicore processors with faster execution times.

Win 8 is said to understand modern cpu architectures like bulldozer/piledriver better and differentiate between a core and a module thus assigning instructions efficiently. Even hyper threaded
intel cpu's will benefit. Technically, its superior to win 7 and not just visually.

amalasarin

Right off the assembly line
Maybe it would take a while before we get used to it. It's a matter of preferences. Well, unlike Facebook, you still have the "right" or the authority to upgrade according to your preferences :p

Interface-wise it looks cool to me :)

Ruben

Broken In
The boot time is all i see. But it uses hibernate mode to increase boot performance. Not worth upgrading IMO, will probably resultin decrease in productivity of non touch users.

Nah....It really is fast in booting..it took just 6 secs on my PC..whereas win 7 takes about 11 seconds.....

Not much difference visually. For that matter Aero Glass present in RP has been removed from RTM. It is the only visual change you will notice

However RTM is definitely a better experience. RP was so problematic that I removed it after 2-3 days. For me all metro apps weren't working in RP. Also I was having issues with slow internet connection and occasional graphics driver crashes

Yeah the RTM is good because its the final version dude......and the metro ui is "not just a smal change"...many people got bored of the start menu so its a innovative change from Microsoft.Also you cannot rule out improved security and also powerful features like storage pooling which removes drive storage limitations by utilising space from the hard disk dynamically; not predetermined permanently like Win 7 and previous OS's....

rahul_c

Journeyman
I am using it and after a while you get used to the not having start menu, it is in no way slower than windows 7. I really love the new task manager & copy progress bar(it has pause!).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't say about mobile platform specialty smart phones but at-least for me on desktop/laptop/netbooks windows 8 has no use .. actually the new Metro Interface is pretty clumsy and no I won't upgrade to win 8 unless they are thinking of making some major UI change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom