Windows 8.... What do you think ?

Upgrading to Windows 8 ?

• Yes, For Sure !

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • No, Never Win 7 Is Still Best !

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Maybe, I'll Give Final Decision on Oct 26 !

Votes: 44 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
Windows 8

After watching a review of Win 8 on Youtube many people think that Win 8 is Win 7 with Mosiac Metro UI. What are your comments ? Are you going to upgrade ?

Last edited:

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
Boot timings are a major improvement in Windows 8. :D

Its faster than Windows 7 in almost every way.

No harm in upgrading to Win 8 Professional for just 800 bucks. ;)

OP
Abhishek_Z

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
But you will have to "Start" your PC from the beginning. You can find Pics and Vids in Windows.old folder but what about Apps you have installed ?:-o

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The boot time is all i see. But it uses hibernate mode to increase boot performance. Not worth upgrading IMO, will probably resultin decrease in productivity of non touch users.

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
yup.. win 8 is really better for Touchscreens.. else not much Difference
compared 2 se7en.:|
no big reasons 2 ditch 7 for 8..:cool:
me wil hangon with 7 for atleast another year..:wink:

OP
Abhishek_Z

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
I just now came to know that Microsoft has suggested PC manufacturers to install multi-touch trackpad on their laptops !!!
Thats great .

Suggestions r welcomed !!!
Win 7 vs Win 8
:mallet:

Hrishi

I am using both of them. Dual-Boot. :)
I am Taking pleasure of both the world.

Windows 8 , feels more battery and power efficient in my Hp Dm1 notebook.
I don't prefer it in my Desktop though.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
windows 8 is a much improved version of windows 7 in anyways. but stick with it if you have touch display.Its metro UI may be sometimes irritating.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Actually, i have to disagree with Rishi's post. 8 is considerably more power hungry.

And I have tested personally on atleast 3 laptops, where they were running non optimal W7s (with all the additional processes introduced by the utility programs that we all install), whereas the 8 was always a fresh install, and hence arguably consuming the least processing power. I consistently found that 7 was about ~20% more battery efficient.

Note: Tested with developer preview. Not sure how the consumer preview performs

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
I personally dont really take much out of these multi-touch pads. Agreed, the two finger scroll and things like that are a little more convenient than the plain vanilla touchpads, but still have horrible control.

Some are better than the others, but none is really that good. None of them can hold a candle to touchscreens in usability. And that isnt going to help the metro interface one little bit. Nothing short of a touchscreen is acceptable. The entire-metro thing is MS hoping that tablets will somehow replace laptops or desktops. If you ask me, thats not going to happen in the near future...

mitraark

Decrepit
I haven't used Windows 8 yet , what difference are there from 7 apart from the Metro UI ? Windows Explorer any different ?

OP
Abhishek_Z

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
Just a new Metro UI and Explorer has a tab (like of Office 07/10) with good features like New folder, cut, copy, paste, select all etc.

dabster

In the zone
Well not all the laptops have it. They are't either even 2 touch supported. Check it:
Use ur 2 fingers and try to scroll down the page !

Multi-touch touchpads came in laptops like 2 years back - safe to assume that all new ones are multi-touch. 2 finger scroll - is specific to manufacturer and is allowed in settings. elan tech touchpads definitely multi-touch.

SunnyGamingHD2

Fortune favors the brave
I haven't used Windows 8 yet , what difference are there from 7 apart from the Metro UI ? Windows Explorer any different ?

Here are some pics:-

*img72.imageshack.us/img72/9741/pic7b.png
*img72.imageshack.us/img72/8946/pic6l.png
*img833.imageshack.us/img833/1016/pic4jf.png
*img266.imageshack.us/img266/4072/pic3ri.png
*img259.imageshack.us/img259/8383/pic2dn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom