Winamp to shutdown after 20th Dec 2013

iSh0w

Broken In
Man, that is just sad! Reminiscing the old days when Winamp was the only player on my P1 bulky slow pc, ahhh those days ;)

ashusood331

Broken In
Winamp news made me remember of those old days when my father gifted me my first computer and the only player with Windows was Winamp.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
In the old days along with Winamp there used to be Jet Audio player. Now when VLC Player came it became a rage just like Winamp in those old days. The player where we can convert mp3 songs from 128KBPS to 256 and more is Winamp. Lets hope that MS buys it and keeps it afloat.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
More drama.

Fans of Winamp have launched a website to save it. If you still love Winamp, feel free to sign the petition.

Source : Winamp lovers beg AOL to open source code | Ars Technica

Here is how the downfall of Winamp came about over the years : Winamp’s woes: how the greatest MP3 player undid itself

For the kiddies over here who do not know about Winamp :

bubusam13

Human
Its been years since i have used Winamp..
It was certainly the first ( & most frequent) media player that i was using with my old HCL PC .. i loved the various skins..
VLC is almost the unanimous choice now..

R.I.P Winamp

Even HCL sold its PC manufacturing division.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Radionomy acquires Winamp and Shoutcast.

Radionomy, which provides one of the largest platforms for radio producers and broadcasters and the world’s largest digital audio advertising network through the business combination with TargetSpot, announced that it has acquired media player Winamp and internet radio platform Shoutcast from AOL. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The acquisition will give Radionomy exposure to a much larger audience and pave the way for offering Radionomy listeners an enhanced experience.

Winamp: the future of the multi-device experience
The Winamp media player offers the ability to listen to, watch and manage music, video, podcasts and internet radio on desktop and mobile devices, while customizing the experience to personal tastes.

“Winamp is a top independent player that gives millions of people the best player functionality available,” said Alexandre Saboundjian, CEO, Radionomy Group. “Its role is clear in the future evolution of online media – we plan to make the player ubiquitous, developing new functionalities dedicated to desktop, mobile, car systems, connected devices and all other platforms.”

Additionally, Radionomy will give Winamp listeners access to one of the world’s largest networks of online radio stations, spanning numerous music genres and cultures. As the newest member of the Radionomy Group, Winamp now offers:

Access to more than 60,000 internet radio stations
Playback for 60 audio and video formats
6,000 add-ons, including skins, plug-ins, online services and visualizations
Availability in 16 languages
Tools for managing podcast subscriptions

The Radionomy Network: the world’s choice for streaming online radio
Radionomy allows anyone -- from music enthusiast to professional broadcaster -- to easily create an online station, complete with advertising, promotion and monetization. The acquisition of Shoutcast will expand Radionomy’s presence, notably in the U.S, making it the source of approximately half of all streamed internet radio worldwide. This will greatly enhance Radionomy producers’ and Shoutcast stations’ ability to build their audiences and monetize their networks with Targetspot, offering access to a much wider range of listeners.

“Radionomy has always focused on creating a unique platform for any radio broadcaster or pure play that enables them to build a large audience and monetize their stream.” said Saboundjian. “With Shoutcast, we have expanded our reach to include roughly half of the world’s online radio streaming, leaving Radionomy well-positioned to change the face of online radio.”

Furthermore, Winamp browsing and streaming capabilities also offer an opportunity to expose more listeners to Radionomy and Shoutcast stations.

"Winamp and Shoutcast are great brands with significant value in the right situation, which Radionomy will provide,” said Susan Lyne, CEO of AOL’s Brand Group. “This is a very positive outcome for the enthusiastic users of these products.”

Source : Radionomy acquires SHOUTcast and Winamp, announces future plans. - Broadcasting World

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Finally Winamp back

Spotify’s tribute to Winamp as Spotiamp

Here..........

AOL recently sold Winamp – its ageing
but still popular media player – to the
internet radio company Radionomy
(www.radionomy.com/en). Before the
sale was announced, it looked as if
Winamp was going to be killed off
forever on 20 December 2013, so
Spotify released a tribute download
called Spotiamp (spotiamp.com). This
fully functional music player looks
exactly like Winamp and even supports
Winamp skins and visualisation plug-ins.
You can search for tracks to play, tune
into thousands of web radio stations
and stream music to any device that
supports Shoutcast. The only catch is
that you need a Spotify Premium
account to use Spotiamp, which costs
£9.99 per month.

Top Bottom