Will Wii u meet the same fate of Sega Dreamcast

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
We certainly are arguing. It takes two or more people to argue. It cannot be one way.

Let me remind you that the original argument is about whether the DS or PS 2 are more successful and not what has sold more.

In that case, PS2 is more successful than DS. I very well remember the argument and in fact, there isn't any.

Nobody is doubting that the PS2 is currently the best selling console of all time. My point is that when using a similar timeframe the DS has outsold the PS2 and given the same amount of time it will easily outsell it. There was no apples to oranges comparison.

Like it or not, its an apples to oranges comparison. And really, do DS games and consoles still sell like hot cakes?? I really don't think so buddy.
Smartphones and tablets are really eating up handheld markets. Its a fact. DS has no juice left to go on. It has been milked enough.

Do explain how the polycount determines whether a game is 3D or not. "You can't say SNES titles to be 3d" clearly means that SNES titles operate in two dimensions only. I pointed out that that is wrong and now you are somehow trying to use polycount to defend your claim. A four poly tetrahedron is as 3D as a 2 mn poly human face.

Of course i will. You know why john carmack is considered as father of 3d graphics and not shigeru miyamoto, coz starfox came before doom did right? Because that title did not have a true sense of spatiality like doom did. You must be thinking that i'm joking right? Read the following:

Doom is a series of first-person shooter video games developed by id Software. The series focuses on the exploits of an unnamed space marine operating under the UAC (Union Aerospace Corp.), who fights hordes of undead and demons in order to survive. The series was widely considered as one of the pioneering first-person shooter series in the video game industry, introducing features such as 3D graphics, true third dimension spatiality, networked multiplayer gameplay, and support for player-created expansions with the Doom WAD format.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(series)

The bold part says it all. If you don't know what 3d spatiality is, then please care to Google. That's what defines 3d space. Not a tetrahedron goofed up 3d model.
That's why i said to remove the nintendo teflon coat that you wear. And i'm not trying to defend but trying to instill a sense of reality into you. Wake up from the nintendo world and look around buddy.

Since when do The World Ends With You, Soma Bringer, Shin Megami Tensei have no maturity level? Have you even played them? TWEWY, & SMT usually require at least 60 minutes per session to be enjoyed properly. Then there are titles like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks where each session can extend into multiple hours. You claimed that DS games are not complicated. I pointed out that they are. There is no apples to oranges comparison.

Since when....ummm well since i saw some gameplay videos in youtube. Look i don't question their fun part and unique gameplay. Comparing these with God of War and the likes is definitely apples to oranges. You pick one guy from this forum who will disagree to what i say, and i'll concede defeat.

Do you even care reading my post or you simply write away from your nintendo land and what your heart desires? Please quote where i said DS games are uncomplicated? Yemple run isalso very complicated and i'm serious. I said its not about being complicated but their target audience are different. Do you realize how dubious this discussion is?

Your original claim was that you cannot compare DS titles to PS2 titles. It wasn't you can't compare certain DS titles to certain PS2 titles.
Nobody claimed that you are criticizing the DS or even implied it. Stop reading too much in between the lines.

Reading the lines???? No no no no no....infact i indirectly do. I really don't like the approach nintendo takes in recent game developments and strategy ( at least for console).
Different story for handheld though, and there was high chance of you might thinking that i was bashing at the DS. If you don't think so, well and good.

And don't sidestep the question about ICO and SotC not being franchises. Answer it.

Yeah yeah, about this. Well, its like your little homework. If you want answers, you've got to find it out yourself.
You can bail out anytime though. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Non another Nintendo WII debate thread!

dead5, I don't wanna see another Wii thread for public pole reason. If you wanna discuss about wii games then create a thread and discuss. But what will happen with WII company or Nintendo in future, what should they do...you are not one to decide it and neither our polling is going to change the fact.
You are creating same type of thread again and again which are actually providing nothing to improve the forum apart from serving your personal igo. So I am requesting you not to create this kind of threads here and there where your posts are counted. Rather create those in Chit Chat section and fight everybody else. And this is my final warning.

^^ Extremely sorry for my mistake as I thought Dead5 is the one to open it. Whatever I have said in my previous post actually goes for Vickybat. Vicky, please don't start this kind of discussion again and again.
Dead5, please don't mind anything, it was a mistake from my side. Sorry again.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ My apologies buddy. Got a bit carried away there. Gamers are free to play any title they see fit.
In the original post, i clearly mentioned that this thread is not meant for any sorts of arguements or debates. Anyways, will see strongly that it won't happen again. :)

Besides, i think this thread should remain closed so that it only serves as a voting purpose.

i really love nintendo, but this is just getting worse. this just came in

Nintendo Wii U sales in dire straits, being outsold by original Wii | N4G

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ This console is definitely doomed. For the first time, nintendo aren't gonna hold their annual E3 press conference. Either its a cost cutting measure or they don't have anything significant to show against the likes of sony and microsoft. They are trying to keep a low profile. But is it gonna help in turning the tide of poor wii u sales? They have to come up with some formidable plan and move away from their usual game development strategy. Time to change their target audience, mostly of whom are kids. Should move into a more mature territory in order to cater to gamers of all ages.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^^ This console is definitely doomed. For the first time, nintendo aren't gonna hold their annual E3 press conference. Either its a cost cutting measure or they don't have anything significant to show against the likes of sony and microsoft. They are trying to keep a low profile. But is it gonna help in turning the tide of poor wii u sales? They have to come up with some formidable plan and move away from their usual game development strategy. Time to change their target audience, mostly of whom are kids. Should move into a more mature territory in order to cater to gamers of all ages.

Actually, rumor is that they are skipping E3 to hold a "Nintendo Direct" conference exclusively for the Wii U,so as to ensure that their Customer's attention is focused on the Wii U only and not on competitor products(like PS4/Next Xbox)

Actually, rumor is that they are skipping E3 to hold a "Nintendo Direct" conference exclusively for the Wii U,so as to ensure that their Customer's attention is focused on the Wii U only and not on competitor products(like PS4/Next Xbox)

thats like saying, that i wont advertize food on a food channel because others are also going to do that. I feel that nintendo direct is really not the way to go, since it only focuses on a pre-existing install base and add's nothing new.

Apart from that, i am really waiting to see what trump card nintendo is holding in its hand right now. Because it pretty much looks like either it will diminish like the sega or we have a massive price-cut and then it starts selling slowly. ( with losses for nintendo initially. and then it will return to profitability after 4 years or so )

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

Agreed.

It isn't a big deal to not hold an E3 contest if Nintendo is doing a Nintendo Direct Special for the Wii U. In any case, their Nintendo Direct announcements make it to the news channels anyway even if the viewership will be less than that for E3 (which I don't think is ever the case).

thats like saying, that i wont advertize food on a food channel because others are also going to do that. I feel that nintendo direct is really not the way to go, since it only focuses on a pre-existing install base and add's nothing new.

Apart from that, i am really waiting to see what trump card nintendo is holding in its hand right now. Because it pretty much looks like either it will diminish like the sega or we have a massive price-cut and then it starts selling slowly. ( with losses for nintendo initially. and then it will return to profitability after 4 years or so )

Anyone can view a nintendo direct. You don't have to own a Nintendo console or be an existing customer to view it :lol: In fact, new customers can turn up if the announcements are awesome.

In any case, Nintendoom is not happening in the foreseeable future, even if the Wii U fails (not impossible but unlikely if you have $10bn in your bank account). Proof is their market share.

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/03l.jpg

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/04l.jpg

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/05l.jpg

Basically even if Nintendo makes losses on the Wii U, the 3DS is more than capable to keep them afloat in the console industry.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Agreed.

It isn't a big deal to not hold an E3 contest if Nintendo is doing a Nintendo Direct Special for the Wii U. In any case, their Nintendo Direct announcements make it to the news channels anyway even if the viewership will be less than that for E3 (which I don't think is ever the case).

Anyone can view a nintendo direct. You don't have to own a Nintendo console or be an existing customer to view it :lol: In fact, new customers can turn up if the announcements are awesome.

In any case, Nintendoom is not happening in the foreseeable future, even if the Wii U fails (not impossible but unlikely if you have $10bn in your bank account). Proof is their market share.

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/03l.jpg

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/04l.jpg

*www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425/img/05l.jpg

Basically even if Nintendo makes losses on the Wii U, the 3DS is more than capable to keep them afloat in the console industry.

The main title of this thread is that wether Wii-U will meet the same fate of the dreamcast or not. Why are you bringing in the 3DS? :facepalm:

i think the point that guy is trying to make is that, nintendo direct does not reach a wide audience, because except for people who own a nintendo system, very few will actually care about it.

nintendooom will happen, not now maybe 10 years down the line if they continue to milk the same old franchises.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The main title of this thread is that wether Wii-U will meet the same fate of the dreamcast or not. Why are you bringing in the 3DS? :facepalm:

i think the point that guy is trying to make is that, nintendo direct does not reach a wide audience, because except for people who own a nintendo system, very few will actually care about it.

nintendooom will happen, not now maybe 10 years down the line if they continue to milk the same old franchises.

Okay genius,

1. If Wii U meets Dreamcast's fate, it means that Nintendo stops making consoles...which will not happen even if Wii U does fail, which is the reason for mentioning the 3DS. Try to put 2 and 2 together sometimes.

2. Journalists care about company announcements, so even if a gamer does not watch Nintendo Direct, that does not mean he/she won't get to know about the announcement. For anything significant, there will be reports and articles across the internet.

3. Nintendoom will not happen in the foreseeable future. And it won't necessarily happen 10 years down the line because you can't foresee that far into the future. What's stopping the release of a new console or many awesome games for the existing console in the next many (6-7) years?

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Okay genius,

1. If Wii U meets Dreamcast's fate, it means that Nintendo stops making consoles...which will not happen even if Wii U does fail, which is the reason for mentioning the 3DS. Try to put 2 and 2 together sometimes.

2. Journalists care about company announcements, so even if a gamer does not watch Nintendo Direct, that does not mean he/she won't get to know about the announcement. For anything significant, there will be reports and articles across the internet.

3. Nintendoom will not happen in the foreseeable future. And it won't necessarily happen 10 years down the line because you can't foresee that far into the future. What's stopping the release of a new console or many awesome games for the existing console in the next many (6-7) years?

mind your tone.

1. i did not say that, i said that nintendo is doomed not dead.

2. we all know how internet journalism works, and what are its effects.

3. you are contradicting yourself.

and if you want a more elaborate answer, take a look at how nintendo was the only company which single handedly dominated the gaming industry and since the arrival of the xbox and playstation its only going down.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
mind your tone.

1. i did not say that, i said that nintendo is doomed not dead.

2. we all know how internet journalism works, and what are its effects.

3. you are contradicting yourself.

and if you want a more elaborate answer, take a look at how nintendo was the only company which single handedly dominated the gaming industry and since the arrival of the xbox and playstation its only going down.

1. If nintendo is doomed, then it means they've stopped making their consoles.

2. Then you will agree with me.

3. No I'm not. I said that they will not be doomed in the foreseeable future, and foreseeable future is ~1-5 years depending on the industry. For video games it is ~2 years. And 10 years is not foreseeable. What part of what I said do you not understand?

And yet the DS dominated the PSP. I loved my PSP until the games for the console got boring, so don't tell me that the PSP was awesome and something along those lines.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
1. If nintendo is doomed, then it means they've stopped making their consoles.

2. Then you will agree with me.

3. No I'm not. I said that they will not be doomed in the foreseeable future, and foreseeable future is ~1-5 years depending on the industry. For video games it is ~2 years. And 10 years is not foreseeable. What part of what I said do you not understand?

And yet the DS dominated the PSP. I loved my PSP until the games for the console got boring, so don't tell me that the PSP was awesome and something along those lines.

1. not necessarily, i wouldnt say that

2. In fact i wont. Because most articles published on the internet have no method of authentication and are based on half baked research even when they are from reputed websites.

3. You contradicted yourself. End of story.

When did i say that the DS did not dominate the psp? What i mean was that anyone who was a DS buyer bought a psp, therefore the market share dropped.

heidi2521

Padawan

2. In fact i wont. Because most articles published on the internet have no method of authentication and are based on half baked research even when they are from reputed websites.

When did i say that the DS did not dominate the psp? What i mean was that anyone who was a DS buyer bought a psp, therefore the market share dropped.

1. Then what is nintendoomed for you?

2.Not true. Most of them have YT links/rehosted videos as proof. Even if it is true, it does not change the fact that most gamers get to know about it and the internet forums are flooded with information about this.

3. [how?]

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
1. Then what is nintendoomed for you?

2.Not true. Most of them have YT links/rehosted videos as proof. Even if it is true, it does not change the fact that most gamers get to know about it and the internet forums are flooded with information about this.

3. [how?]

1. when nintendo sales drop and the company is barely profitable

2. yes it is true. Gamers only interested in nintendo will know.

3. I have highlighted it, read again.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

1. Then what do you mean by Nintendoom? You're either speaking in Cryptic, or you're running around in circles.

2. Any reliable website will link to their sources and any other articles they may have taken data from.

3. I'm not contradicting myself. Rather, you're showing me an apparently less-than-perfect grasp of the English language.

Erm the PSP and the DS were first available between 10 days of each other. Dec 2 for DS and Dec 12 for PSP. I would say that their market share went down only if it was a gradual decline. Currently, it seems that in the handheld space Nintendo butt-raped Sony twice.

1. when nintendo sales drop and the company is barely profitable

2. yes it is true. Gamers only interested in nintendo will know.

3. I have highlighted it, read again.

1. The first area they would target is the console for layoffs then, because the engineering department is always the most expensive.

2. You've changed the topic. You mention that internet news is unreliable/ half-baked. Now you say only nintendo fans read nintendo news.

3. And only indicated your apparently less-than-perfect grasp of english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom