• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Developer Explains Why It Left Nintendo

This may be the reason why nintendo is losing developer base.

Now the following article definitely comes from another extreme nintendo fanboy:- :p

Wii U is better than Xbox 720, PS4 or PC

Another link for ninty fans:

Top 10 Wii U games we’re looking forward to at E3 2013

d3p

PowerHouse
Console will die for sure. But comes with an amazing lifespan.
Ex. PSP phat or 2000 or 3000 or PS2 or even Sega NES 16bit. These console die because of lack of support for game development or developer.

Last edited:
OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nintendo Wii U has Already Won the Next Generation Console War :rofl:

What sort of fanboy writes this stuff?? They are definitely out of their minds.

heidi2521

Padawan
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Developer Explains Why It Left Nintendo

This may be the reason why nintendo is losing developer base.

Now the following article definitely comes from another extreme nintendo fanboy:- :p

Wii U is better than Xbox 720, PS4 or PC

Another link for ninty fans:

Top 10 Wii U games we’re looking forward to at E3 2013

TL;DR for the first one is that they wanted the kind of freedom that working at a subsidiary cannot provide. It has nothing to do with the company being Nintendo nor does it contain Nintendo specific complaints. The reason would be equally valid if "Retro" was replaced by "Naughty Dog" and "Nintendo" by "Sony".

One of the main reasons devs are reluctant to work on Nintendo platforms is explained here:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Nintendo

Nintendo is simply too hard to compete with on their platforms. Ubisoft is probably the only non Japanese/Niche company that found major success on Nintendo platforms.

If Nintendo releases many first party games at once they won't get third party support, If they don't release many first party games at once they won't get a large user base and so won't get third party support.

The second title is pure click bait. Most of the article covers the 3DS :shocked: and between the massive library the 3DS has and the titles on the Wii U it isn't too surprising that that person has no time for other consoles which don't really target him.

That list is horrible. Nobody is really anticipating Wii Fit U and the Wii U Zelda game won't be demoed because they just announced a successor to ALttP and they wouldn't want to rob thunder from that. To add to that Eiji Aonuma said that the Wii U LoZ will take quite some time to develop and won't be out for 2 - 3 years atleast. Pokemon Rumble is neither a big nor substantive title so they probably won't spend time on that. All the other titles were already confirmed by Nintendo for a showing at E3. And no mention of Retro's secret project, The Wonderful 101 or Monolith Soft's X :-x

Expect Nintendo to screw up the E3 and then knock your socks off in the Nintendo Direct, where they actually have the flexibility to show what they want without trying to appease shareholders and keep a disinterested reporters attention.

Nintendo Wii U has Already Won the Next Generation Console War :rofl:

What sort of fanboy writes this stuff?? They are definitely out of their minds.

The kind of fanboy who has no idea how the market works and isn't aware of current gaming demographics :)

Console will die for sure. But comes with an amazing lifespan.
Ex. PSP phat or 2000 or 3000 or PS2 or even Sega NES 16bit. These console die because of lack of support for game development or developer.

Uhh... the PS2 had massive developer support, the PSP was a failure only when compared to the DS, the best selling console of all time and there is no console that even remotely fits the description of "Sega NES 16-bit".

d3p

PowerHouse
Uhh... the PS2 had massive developer support, the PSP was a failure only when compared to the DS, the best selling console of all time and there is no console that even remotely fits the description of "Sega NES 16-bit".

If PS2 had massive developer support then, Why do you think PS2 is suppose to be discontinued ?? Only coz of PS4 ?? Well you can't run PS3 games on PS2 neither PS4 games.

PS2 might have a massive games library but from 2013 onwards we might not have any more games developed for PS2.

If game developer builts the game to run on a console then its more optimized, it doesn't make much difference whether its for PS3 or PS2.

The other one is my fault. Its Sega genesis & NES 16bit consoles.

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
If PS2 has massive developer support then, Why do you think PS2 is suppose to be discontinued ?? Only coz of PS4 ?? Well you can't run PS3 games on PS2 neither PS4 games.

PS2 might have a massive games library but from 2013 onwards we might not have any more games developed for PS2.

If game developer builts the game to run on a console then its more optimized, it doesn't make much difference whether its for PS3 or PS2.

@d3p : PS2 is a faqing 13 year old console,its time has come.Do Gamecube and Xbox exist now? :lol:
Your Argument is Invalid
Btw Has is present,Had is past

heidi2521

Padawan
LOL. I see. I the context of the thread I misinterpreted the words 'will die' to mean 'will be Dreamcasted'. In that case pretty much every platform other than PC will die :D.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "NES 16bit console". You are probably referring to the SNES.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
If PS2 has massive developer support then, Why do you think PS2 is suppose to be discontinued ?? Only coz of PS4 ?? Well you can't run PS3 games on PS2 neither PS4 games.

Well the answer is quite simple. It simply because technology should move on. PS2's aging hardware couldn't keep up with newer development standards and api's.
It had to retire. Same thing can be said about its predecessor i.e PS1 and its successor (ps3) will also meet the same fate down the line. Its how things work. The same way a 7970 replaced a 6970, PS3 replaced PS2.

Consoles generally have a lifespan of 8-10 years and ps2 successfully completed its tenure. Its the most successful home console ever released with some stunning franchises like "God Of War", "Twisted Metal", "Killzone", "Ratchet & Clank","ICO","Shadow Of The Colossus" , Metal Gear solid (2 & 3) , Gran Turismo 4 and many more.

You can call PS2 a legend, arguably the most successful console of all time. Its has sold 155 million units worldwide beating 153 million units of nintendo DS which is a handheld.

heidi2521

Padawan
Well the answer is quite simple. It simply because technology should move on. PS2's aging hardware couldn't keep up with newer development standards and api's.
It had to retire. Same thing can be said about its predecessor i.e PS1 and its successor (ps3) will also meet the same fate down the line. Its how things work. The same way a 7970 replaced a 6970, PS3 replaced PS2.

Consoles generally have a lifespan of 8-10 years and ps2 successfully completed its tenure. Its the most successful home console ever released with some stunning franchises like "God Of War", "Twisted Metal", "Killzone", "Ratchet & Clank","ICO","Shadow Of The Colossus" , Metal Gear solid (2 & 3) , Gran Turismo 4 and many more.

You can call PS2 a legend, arguably the most successful console of all time. Its has sold 155 million units worldwide beating 153 million units of nintendo DS which is a handheld.

Are we or are we not launch adjusting sales data in this thread? Because if it is launch adjusted the DS outsells the PS2 easily.

Overall, it can be argued that the DS is the most successful console of all time because:

1. It was never sold at a loss.
2. It had greater software sales and a higher attach rate.
3. A lot of the PS2's initial sales came from the fact that it was a cheap DVD player and many of those didn't buy enough games for Sony to make a profit off of them.
4. When launch adjusted it comfortably outsells the PS2 and is still doing well in Europe and Japan. Given the same time it will almost certainly outsell the PS2.
5. In the end the DS is a more profitable product than the PS2 for the parent company.

Bonus: It gave us awesome games like The World Ends With You, Four Warriors of Light and Radiant Historia :D.

P.S. ICO and SotC are not franchises.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Are we or are we not launch adjusting sales data in this thread? Because if it is launch adjusted the DS outsells the PS2 easily.

Overall, it can be argued that the DS is the most successful console of all time because:

1. It was never sold at a loss.
2. It had greater software sales and a higher attach rate.
3. A lot of the PS2's initial sales came from the fact that it was a cheap DVD player and many of those didn't buy enough games for Sony to make a profit off of them.
4. When launch adjusted it comfortably outsells the PS2 and is still doing well in Europe and Japan. Given the same time it will almost certainly outsell the PS2.
5. In the end the DS is a more profitable product than the PS2 for the parent company.

Bonus: It gave us awesome games like The World Ends With You, Four Warriors of Light and Radiant Historia :D.

P.S. ICO and SotC are not franchises.

No, DS never out sold ps2 in worldwide sales. Check below:

On November 1, 2008, Nintendo released the Nintendo DSi, another redesign with several hardware improvements and new features. As of December 31, 2012, all Nintendo DS models combined have sold 153.67 million units,[1] making it the best selling handheld game console to date, and the second best selling video game console of all time, behind the PlayStation 2

Nintendo DS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

DS did surpass ps2 once marginally at 153.69 million compared to 153.68 million of ps2. But the latter maxed out at 155 million before going EOL.

heidi2521

Padawan
No, DS never out sold ps2 in worldwide sales. Check below:

Nintendo DS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

DS did surpass ps2 once marginally at 153.69 million compared to 153.68 million of ps2. But the latter maxed out at 155 million before going EOL.

dead5 said:
When launch adjusted it comfortably outsells the PS2 and is still doing well in Europe and Japan. Given the same time it will almost certainly outsell the PS2.

The DS is ~8 years into its life. The PS2 is ~13 years into its life. FY 2009 it had sold 139.5 mn LTD. Q3 FY 2013 the DS has sold ~153 mn.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
That way, its an apples to oranges comparison. You can't compare the statistics of a home console with a handheld in outright shelf life basis.
It always comes down to figures no matter how differently they were achieved. DS was immensely successful no doubt.

You also can't compare DS games with PS2 titles.
Maximum DS games were of side scrolling and cartoony nature( Proved great for a handheld device) while PS2 bought 3d graphics. Its not an equal comparison between the two. Ps2 was also more expensive early on than the DS ever was ($299 vs $149).

About ICO and SOTC, i know technically they are not franchise and part of a trilogy (project TRICO). But the sheer success and cult following of the games, gave them that status.
The latter proved to be a system seller.

The Last guardian will probably launch in the PS4.

Last edited:

heidi2521

Padawan
That way, its an apples to oranges comparison. You can't compare the statistics of a home console with a handheld in outright shelf life basis.
It always comes down to figures no matter how differently they were achieved. DS was immensely successful no doubt.

You also can't compare DS games with PS2 titles.
Maximum DS games were of side scrolling and cartoony nature( Proved great for a handheld device) while PS2 bought 3d graphics. Its not an equal comparison between the two. Ps2 was also more expensive early on than the DS ever was ($299 vs $149).

About ICO and SOTC, i know technically they are not franchise and part of a trilogy (project TRICO). But the sheer success and cult following of the games, gave them that status.
The latter proved to be a system seller.

The Last guardian will probably launch in the PS4.

Why can't you compare a portable console and a home console? Whenever comparing sales of two consoles with wildly different dates it is only fair to launch adjust the sales data so as not to give one console an unfair advantage over the other. Given four more years the DS will outsell the PS2 if it continues its current trajectory.

Justify your statement that most DS games were side scrolling. Because these lists clearly disagree with you.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games_(A–I)
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games_(J–R)
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games_(S–Z)

The SNES had games with 3D graphics so it would be absolutely incorrect to say that the PS2 brought 3D graphics. The DS has 3D games too. Developers had to stylize their games due to the low power of the DS compared to home consoles because if they didn't the games would look like something out of the era of ugly-ass polygons.

Because PCs have games like Shogun 2, Europa Universalis 3 and Company of Heroes, it doesn't mean that they can't be compared to consoles.

The PS3 was also more expensive than the PS2 ever was("599 US Dollars") yet it is not considered unfair to compare the two.

I'm sorry, but how does sheer success and cult following of a game give it "Franchise" status?

Last edited:
OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ You simply can't. Its not an exact match. Same way you can't compare two generations like ps3 and ps2. PS3 is still doing great and may break ps2's all time sales.

Well all DS titles were abysmally scaled down from home console versions. Example "Madden NFL". After seeing DS screenshots, i was confused if it was really a Madden game.:lol:
The DS version of altair's chronicles looks like an NES title. DS simply sold because people love simple and less complicated games in a handheld. Ps2 sold for different reasons.

You can't say SNES titles to be 3d. We saw real depth with the advent of N64 and PS1 only.

DS games and ps2 games aren't an equal match. The same way you can't compare a 50 buck android game with a AAA ps3 title and say, the former sold more.

Play MGS4 in a ps3 and IOS. Tell me, are the two games an exact match? Is there an argument between the sales of their respective software and most of all, will you get the same experience in the two platforms? The answer is a big "NO". There is simply no comparison between PS3 MGS and IOS MGS. Same rule holds for ps2 and ds.

No need to argue on this further.

About ICO and SOTC, i leave it for you to figure out why.

heidi2521

Padawan
^^ You simply can't. Its not an exact match. Same way you can't compare two generations like ps3 and ps2. PS3 is still doing great and may break ps2's all time sales.

Well all DS titles were abysmally scaled down from home console versions. Example "Madden NFL". After seeing DS screenshots, i was confused if it was really a Madden game.:lol:
The DS version of altair's chronicles looks like an NES title. DS simply sold because people love simple and less complicated games in a handheld. Ps2 sold for different reasons.

You can't say SNES titles to be 3d. We saw real depth with the advent of N64 and PS1 only.

DS games and ps2 games aren't an equal match. The same way you can't compare a 50 buck android game with a AAA ps3 title and say, the former sold more.

Play MGS4 in a ps3 and IOS. Tell me, are the two games an exact match? Is there an argument between the sales of their respective software and most of all, will you get the same experience in the two platforms? The answer is a big "NO". There is simply no comparison between PS3 MGS and IOS MGS. Same rule holds for ps2 and ds.

No need to argue on this further.

About ICO and SOTC, i leave it for you to figure out why.

You can and do compare different generations. Where do you think the benchmarks the current generation is put up against come from?

We are arguing about sales data, not the reasons behind the sales so it is not relevant. We compare the DS and the PS2 because they are both primarily interactive digital entertainment devices.

If this game doesn't have real depth, then nothing does.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(video_game)

The DS games which are in the same genre and offer the same kind of gameplay as the PS2 can and should be compared. There is no reason not to. For example, You can compare Lucifers Call to Devil Survivor.

Do you seriously think Pokemon, The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Soma Bringer, Shin Megami Tensei etc. are less complicated?

You don't compare IOS games and full console experiences because they provide entirely different experiences. An iOS game with deep mechanics can be compared to a console game with similar deep mechanics. For example, XCOM:EU can be compared to their counterparts and other strategy games. If a full scale FF 1-6 like game is made for IOS, it can be compared to other similar titles on consoles. And nobody was comparing sales data of DS games to PS2 games.

And I cant understand how a single game can be considered a part of a franchise. Please explain.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ We are not arguing about anything. Only you are. The facts are right there. Ps2 is the best selling console of all time and not DS. I gave you numbers as proof. Period!
You started comparing apples with oranges. Not me.

About Star Fox being technically 3d, yes. But again its an apples to mangoes comparison. Its nowhere near the no. of polygon count the N64 and PS1 offered. Don't post for the sake of argument.
Try and find some logic too.

See these-
[YOUTUBE]ERm6GUF4-8I[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XULNre7uFts[/YOUTUBE]

Compare this with Star Fox. We can say StarFox to be an inspiration and brought something new. But it was perfected and truly done how it should be done in the later generations.

Check this list- Top 100 Best PS1 Games Ever

And for God's sake, pokemon!!!!!!
Its not about being complicated. In that case, temple run will be compared with MGS .:lol:

All the games you mentioned are typical handheld titles with no maturity level. Its just for fun on the go. That's where DS struck the market.

Yes, you don't compare pokemon , shin megami, The world ends with you etc, with God of War, Metal gear solid snake eater, killzone, Twisted metal and the likes.
You don't compare Asphalt GT for the DS with Gran Turismo 4 on the ps2.

Its not about being complicated. Its an apples to oranges comparison. As simply put.
Lift that Nintendo Teflon coating and you'll understand my point. I'm not criticizing the DS here. It was built for a purpose and it succeeded.

About that game being a franchise or not, like i said before, its upto you to figure why. ;)

heidi2521

Padawan
^^ We are not arguing about anything. Only you are. The facts are right there. Ps2 is the best selling console of all time and not DS. I gave you numbers as proof. Period!
You started comparing apples with oranges. Not me.

About Star Fox being technically 3d, yes. But again its an apples to mangoes comparison. Its nowhere near the no. of polygon count the N64 and PS1 offered. Don't post for the sake of argument.
Try and find some logic too.

See these-
[YOUTUBE]ERm6GUF4-8I[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XULNre7uFts[/YOUTUBE]

Compare this with Star Fox. We can say StarFox to be an inspiration and brought something new. But it was perfected and truly done how it should be done in the later generations.

Check this list- Top 100 Best PS1 Games Ever

And for God's sake, pokemon!!!!!!
Its not about being complicated. In that case, temple run will be compared with MGS .:lol:

All the games you mentioned are typical handheld titles with no maturity level. Its just for fun on the go. That's where DS struck the market.

Yes, you don't compare pokemon , shin megami, The world ends with you etc, with God of War, Metal gear solid snake eater, killzone, Twisted metal and the likes.
You don't compare Asphalt GT for the DS with Gran Turismo 4 on the ps2.

Its not about being complicated. Its an apples to oranges comparison. As simply put.
Lift that Nintendo Teflon coating and you'll understand my point. I'm not criticizing the DS here. It was built for a purpose and it succeeded.

About that game being a franchise or not, like i said before, its upto you to figure why. ;)

We certainly are arguing. It takes two or more people to argue. It cannot be one way.

Let me remind you that the original argument is about whether the DS or PS 2 are more successful and not what has sold more.

Nobody is doubting that the PS2 is currently the best selling console of all time. My point is that when using a similar timeframe the DS has outsold the PS2 and given the same amount of time it will easily outsell it. There was no apples to oranges comparison.

Do explain how the polycount determines whether a game is 3D or not. "You can't say SNES titles to be 3d" clearly means that SNES titles operate in two dimensions only. I pointed out that that is wrong and now you are somehow trying to use polycount to defend your claim. A four poly tetrahedron is as 3D as a 2 mn poly human face.

Since when do The World Ends With You, Soma Bringer, Shin Megami Tensei have no maturity level? Have you even played them? TWEWY, & SMT usually require at least 60 minutes per session to be enjoyed properly. Then there are titles like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks where each session can extend into multiple hours. You claimed that DS games are not complicated. I pointed out that they are. There is no apples to oranges comparison.

Your original claim was that you cannot compare DS titles to PS2 titles. It wasn't you can't compare certain DS titles to certain PS2 titles.

Nobody claimed that you are criticizing the DS or even implied it. Stop reading too much in between the lines.

And don't sidestep the question about ICO and SotC not being franchises. Answer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom