Will Wii u meet the same fate of Sega Dreamcast

Will Wii u meet the same fate of Sega Dreamcast

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi2521

Padawan
^^ Ok fair points. Lets see if these really turn out to be true. Actually another problem is m$ony aren't targeting dudebro gamers only.
They are in nintendo's territory too and not just from an indie perspective but FP. I'm not gonna bring littlebigplanet this time but:

Knack

Knack Is The First Announced PlayStation 4 Game. Here's Some Footage.

This came to my mind since you mentioned crash bandicot.

Talk about JRPG''s, sony seems to be having huge plans on that with its ps4 and busy with FP developments probably in its japan studios.
There already was ni-no kuni by namco in ps3.

Making the PS4 a Success (Part 1): A First-Party JRPG Studio

PS4 title from Level-5 currently “in the planning stages”

If sony successfully bags a decent developer and goes after jrpg fanbase ( i think it can do), what happens to Nintendo after that.
Do you think Nintendo can handle diversity of this level?

What happens when final fantasy is Resurrected and enjoys its earlier position? Square enix has already developed a brand new engine and probably touting another final fantasy.

My point was that it would be foolish for Nintendo to target dudebro gamers like that, not that they are M$ony's sole focus. They are attempting to enter Nintendo territory but that is not their primary focus and they are nowhere near when it comes to sheer quality and brand recognition. Speaking of Sony's Japanese Studios:

SCE Japan Studio: Knack(PS4) - Platformer/Brawler based on current footage
The Last Guardian(PS3/Possibly 4) - If ICO & SOTC are any indication - Action Adventure

Polyphony Digital: Grand Turismo 6- Racing

None of them seem like JRPGs to me.

Right now 3DS is the king of JRPGs with most of the good ones like Bravely Default, Fantasy Life & Megaten releasing on that platform. Nintendo should be able to get a few up ports to the Wii U at least.

I think it will be a situation similar to the PS2 & GC. The PS2 got most of the JRPGs but the Gamecube had some god damn awesome ones like Baten Kaitos(exclusive), Skies of Arcadia(exclusive dreamcast port), The Thousand Year Door, Path of Radiance that made it an awesome platform for JRPG fans.

You already have Atlus(who make the best JRPGs barring Monolith Soft IMO) on board the Wii U. Nintendo owns Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems who make really awesome JRPGs(Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Nuff said).

To successfully bag the JRPG fan base as exclusives to your you need the above 3 studios, Level 5 and Namco Tales support and Game Freak.

Namco Tales has pretty much said "We won't publish on a platform which does not have a massive install base because all our customers already own PS3s" so I don't see them going to the PS4 any time soon unless money hatted(Like how the M$$$ convinced them to make Vesperia an exclusive in the west). They have Level 5 on the PS4. Although not legally obliged, the notion of Game Freak abandoning Nintendo is laughable because they would lose access to the pokemon franchise, their most successful product and because Ken Sugimori, the lead designer is also the president of an Nintendo subsidiary.

The JRPG fan base only makes up a small part of Nintendo's. So yes. They can handle diversity like this like they did during the n64 & GC days.

Nintendo's core will be threatened when they start making precision platformers on par with Super Mario, action arcade racers on par with Mario Kart (SAASRT is the only one which has come close. LBPK & CTR tried but they failed even if CTR was a good game in its own right), The Legend of Zelda like action adventure games of the same caliber, Smash Bros like fighting games (the Sony attempt forgot that it was supposed to be extremely free flowing and over the top) and JRPG collectathons like Pokemon. As its contracts with platinum have shown, they aren't just sitting there guarding their old fanbase but are expanding their audience too like to over the top action game fans in this case.

I wasn't making a point of final fantasy itself. My point was that Nintendo tries and ensures that all their games are of a high standard, have good game play and are extremely polished, something which SE did not do with FF.

BTW, The engine has nothing to with what went wrong with the FF Series. It went wrong when they changed FF from an massive open well populated dynamic game that was never about the graphics to a linear corridor game that primarily acted as a graphical showcase for the PS3. If they can correct that and return FF to its roots then it is good for them(and Sony). However if they keep trying to hit graphical benchmarks, they probably will never succeed in that because the production costs will be too damn high. Just look at how Namco managed with Tales & Atlus with Disgaea. They kept PS2 level assets with a higher rendering resolution and concentrated on the content, art style, music and the gameplay. I.E. the things that make a JRPG a JRPG.

This lower graphical benchmark(and its explosive popularity in Japan) is one of the main reasons the 3DS is becoming the go to console for JRPGs.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
My point was that it would be foolish for Nintendo to target dudebro gamers like that, not that they are M$ony's sole focus. They are attempting to enter Nintendo territory but that is not their primary focus and they are nowhere near when it comes to sheer quality and brand recognition. Speaking of Sony's Japanese Studios:

SCE Japan Studio: Knack(PS4) - Platformer/Brawler based on current footage
The Last Guardian(PS3/Possibly 4) - If ICO & SOTC are any indication - Action Adventure

Polyphony Digital: Grand Turismo 6- Racing

None of them seem like JRPGs to me.

I never said Knack is a JRPG and neither brought gran turismo or last guardian into the picture. My point was knack using the same art style themes that nintendo uses.
I would agree with the brand recognition part but not the mention of sheer quality constrained with nintendo. Little big planet has sheer quality and there's no doubt that knack will have it too.

It should be nintendo regretting of not having franchises like Gran-turismo and project TRICO. Its bad that wii-u doesn't have a decent simulator racer.

Right now 3DS is the king of JRPGs with most of the good ones like Bravely Default, Fantasy Life & Megaten releasing on that platform. Nintendo should be able to get a few up ports to the Wii U at least.

I think it will be a situation similar to the PS2 & GC. The PS2 got most of the JRPGs but the Gamecube had some god damn awesome ones like Baten Kaitos(exclusive), Skies of Arcadia(exclusive dreamcast port), The Thousand Year Door, Path of Radiance that made it an awesome platform for JRPG fans.

You already have Atlus(who make the best JRPGs barring Monolith Soft IMO) on board the Wii U. Nintendo owns Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems who make really awesome JRPGs(Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Nuff said).

To successfully bag the JRPG fan base as exclusives to your you need the above 3 studios, Level 5 and Namco Tales support and Game Freak.

Namco Tales has pretty much said "We won't publish on a platform which does not have a massive install base because all our customers already own PS3s" so I don't see them going to the PS4 any time soon unless money hatted(Like how the M$$$ convinced them to make Vesperia an exclusive in the west). They have Level 5 on the PS4. Although not legally obliged, the notion of Game Freak abandoning Nintendo is laughable because they would lose access to the pokemon franchise, their most successful product and because Ken Sugimori, the lead designer is also the president of an Nintendo subsidiary.

The JRPG fan base only makes up a small part of Nintendo's. So yes. They can handle diversity like this like they did during the n64 & GC days.

If it becomes ps2 and GC scenario all over again, then its sure trouble for Nintendo. As far as i can see, that seems to be happening. Final fantasy is coming back with a bang as square enix publicly addressed the flaws in their previous title and thus they are releasing this:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Not only that but:

Square Enix Is Making A Final Fantasy Game For PS4. You'll Probably See It At E3 This Year.

Its based on that luminous engine that i already spoke about before and this game is rumored to be severely open world.

[YOUTUBE]Zks5W-XlghU[/YOUTUBE]

Now a game looking that good, combined with JRPG gameplay elements fans love along with a nice musical track is destined to be a system seller.
If this title brings back final fantasy roots and paves way how future JRPG's should be designed, what happens next to Nintendo? Square enix seems damn serious to me after their past failures. Success gets in your head eventually and can spell doom sometimes. But to break the shackles of failure and do something unpredictable and unthinkable albeit positively are signs of success. Their efforts in building the luminous engine shows. How the game turns out to be, E3 is going to answer that.

That video honestly had me drooled for some time. The particle effects are staggering ( amd GCN in action) and so are the lighting effects.

Talk about developers, PS4 (Xbox next) is all about developers this time. The next tales of xillia is rumored to be heading for the ps4.
I personally don't have interest in JRPG's but ps4 seems to be destined to have a big share of this market, especially in japan.

Nintendo's core will be threatened when they start making precision platformers on par with Super Mario, action arcade racers on par with Mario Kart (SAASRT is the only one which has come close. LBPK & CTR tried but they failed even if CTR was a good game in its own right), The Legend of Zelda like action adventure games of the same caliber, Smash Bros like fighting games (the Sony attempt forgot that it was supposed to be extremely free flowing and over the top) and JRPG collectathons like Pokemon. As its contracts with platinum have shown, they aren't just sitting there guarding their old fanbase but are expanding their audience too like to over the top action game fans in this case.

Well i can't consider mario to be the only ardent platformer around with the advent of games like braid and super meat boy. The second one is the best platformer i've ever played.
Currently, i'm playing "new super mario bros" in a DS emulator and although the game seems good, has the same old feeling and brings nothing extraordinary into the picture.
(Currently in world 8 and skipped world 3 and 7). It doesn't give the sense of thrill that super meat boy brings ( talking strictly about side scrolling games).

Now coming to arcade racers, there's one title which you forgot to mention:

ModNation Racers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PlayStation players also have things to experience something like mario kart and mod nation racers gives just that. The game received critical acclaim and was commercially successful as well. This is the diversity i was talking about before. Nintendo often seems to me like stuck in one place. If Nintendo brings creativity and quality in its games, i see sony doing a better job and also hugely successful in diversifying its games.

It has something for everybody.....from gran turismo to mod nation racers. Nintendo has to embrace this philosophy imo in the long run.
Just developing games like mod nation racers won't take it anywhere. Completely my take and opinions can differ. But i have a feeling that many would agree with me on this one.

Can't comment on Zelda because i've never played a zelda game before. If its in fantasy action adventure genre, then last guardian, God of war titles are the ones i would look out for. Their predecessors have already proved to be tremendous system sellers in the past. And their caliber simply cannot be questioned.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
wow so much new... so basically nintendo has been trolling all of you by not releasing all the important features of mario kart in a single release. They have been charging you like EA and activision for Map packs, in fact even more

psst. even call of duty has snowmobiles ;)

Words like these dont sound cute when they come out from your mouth. nor does hardcore :lol:

oh yes, tekken is milking no doubt about it.

stop replying in the quote itself.

Dead5, your brothers english comprehension and even your common sense is that of a 5 year old.

I never said that the ps3 was not redesigned. Making cosmetic changes like removal of usb ports and flash memory cards does not count as a redesign. Get out of nintendoland guys.

There is not a redesign because :

1. Core components of the ps3 were not changed

a. blu ray drive
b. xdr ram
c. cbe
d. rsx gpu
e. architecture.

if they had shifted from cbe to powerpc or to x86 then yes.

So yes if sony keeps on putting the playstation hardware in a much more fancy box does not mean that it got redesigned.

to keep up with the manufacturing, and technical advancements obviously they had to use a smaller fabrication and use a more compact motherboard. This is called as hardware revision, not redesign.

This way from the ps1 , ps2 , psp , ps3 , xbox 360 every console has had hardware revision even including wii

im not derailing, im putting the rails to show that wii-u has been dreamcasted.

there is some hope for this thread now.

And this is clearly doom time for nintendo.

Wiiu has been cracked or is almost there. A company which makes its sales primarily on software sales and not hardware is facing a piracy issue on its console which isnt even cheap and hasnt even sold. So im guessing that nintendo is trying as hard as possible to support it financially for some time and then they are going to abandon it like gamecube.

dead5 is a software dev, extreme gamer is a script kiddie gamer. I dont think both of you even qualify for a technical debate specially that on consoles.

Wii - U has been dreamcasted. The longer nintendo stays on this boat the higher the risk for their survival in the future.

this just in :

battlefield which sold a record 9 million is not coming to wii u

Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U to avoid risks, says DICE | VG247

now we are going to get mobile games on the wii u . Epic. Nintendo porting mobile games to the wii u .

can i get to play mario look alike on the Wii u ? it will be awesome.

Why i should i buy a wii u ?

1. no games
2. old hardware
3. low availability
4. selling a tablet pc with a resistive touchscreen and without a keyboard from the 2000's in 2013 for the ultimate second screen experience
5. dead online community
6. no games
7. no games

amazon drops wii-u price to 149 pounds. Omg lol

Jetsetter: A dramatic Nintendo Wii U price drop | Digital Trends

if i have to play mobile games on the wii-u, id rather buy the lg nexus 4. Even though it will cost me 2 times it will be worth it. Atleast i get a capacitative touch screen

Genius, I hope you work on your English skills during your vacation. You are contradicting yourself within two simultaneous statements. And next time, do read up what script kiddie means before going around calling me one.

And since when did dead5 become a software dev from a publishing house agent (editor, I think)?

Are you one of those hyper-advanced trollbots that are coming up nowadays? I'd like to talk to your development team. Trolling should be way more subtle, and not so obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom