Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^apple's success is only because of their component sourcing, they have insane margins because they order the same components in more bulk than anyone else.... which is why they can release every consequent iPhone or iPad at the same cost as the previous one... despite 7 odd years of rising prices - not because of the marketing, that makes users believe Apple is O2,

in a sense Toshiba, Sony, Samsung are all buddy-buddies with Apple because Apple orders its in bulk parts from em

to put it in perspective consider sony's line-up of products, they have to order one start button one year for neo, pro, arc and next year for active, neo V, S, ray etc... Apple has been ordering the same start button for products across their range

another design approach that separates Apple from everyone else, and particularly Nokia, is that people design incomplete devices, or push untested content to consumers and worry about upgrading it later

if you just want a phone, to like talkt to ppl and send sms, nokia still is teh best, their big downfall was still thinking in terms of individual devices instead of an entire ecosystem, but that can also be their strength dont think they have understood fully the market here

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
WP is giving Nokia life & at the same time hurt them bad.
A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to suggest a mobile under 15k. i immediately took the name of Nokia Lumia 710. A second guy told him you can't transfer files using bluetooth. 710 was immediately rejected. Bluetooth file transfer matters a lot. Once fixed, lot more people will jump into the WP platform.

But till then Nokia will take loss in the highed section. And its not solely the WP mobiles, look at the Asha series. The 5k+ touch&types are born flops. poor quality small resistive screen, weak camera. They may pack 1Ghz processor but nowadays even non-tech peoples know a full touchscreen with Android OS is lot better. Gone are the days of Nokia 5230 selling like hot cakes.

If Nokia has to survive they must fix their lowend while M$ outs Apollo. Else they can blame themselve.

Well hardly people understand these things.
The normal people in India are.They go with the money to the shop,And buy whatever they see first , or what the noob shopkeeper suggests.
They dont read the phones reviews

red dragon

Master troll
Anyone remember Cupcake days?
Android was probably the worst possible platform at that time.
Samsung Magic came to India without Android market,BTFT was not allowed natively...just after a couple of years now we have such a rabid fan base.
Winmo7 surely will mature enough soon and Nokia will be the king again.
I am a sgs2 user,recently got hold of the lumia 800 and simply loving it.
Those who think only htc(imo the worst mobile manufacturer)makes good looking and well built phones other than the fruity almighty,please have a look at this masterpiece from Nokia.

^apple's success is only because of their component sourcing, they have insane margins because they order the same components in more bulk than anyone else.... which is why they can release every consequent iPhone or iPad at the same cost as the previous one... despite 7 odd years of rising prices - not because of the marketing, that makes users believe Apple is O2,

Looks like you need to go through some economic classes. Component sourcing has got nothing to do with insane sale of their products.

Apple is more of the mindset, if you don't like it then don't buy it. Not that they have any problems getting people to buy their products, through a combination of actual features and technology, coupled with a gigantic marketing engine, they convince the world that it needs their products - whatever form they may take.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
If only Nokia had chosen Android over WM. I'm in a split here for I like Nokia but hate/can't trust Microsoft.

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
Samsung Magic came to India without Android market,BTFT was not allowed natively...just after a couple of years now we have such a rabid fan base.
Those who think only htc(imo the worst mobile manufacturer)makes good looking and well built phones other than the fruity almighty,please have a look at this masterpiece from Nokia.
may be you have a point, there is Windows 8 coming this year, may be it will help Nokia regain the share or atleast maintain. The bit of challenge for Nokia is to manage little or no profit from now onwards and yet spend money on developing new phones.

roonie

Journeyman
Iam SGR user and my cousin has lumia 800..At first seriuosly i felt like windows was amazing with cool interface but after using for some time jus 2hours browsing apps ,i felt like i better go to my android..no interesting apps for anythin..it is just the phone with the default apps you have to be with..windows is not updating the trending apps ,it is always the same.
there was not even a barcode scanner for windows,the one which i got was not working too...it is taking too long time to detect tat to i have to hold it very steady which is not possible..
Unless they find time to develop good quality apps and update the market with recent apps, windows platform wont be a hit in the market for sure....

doomgiver

Warframe
Looks like you need to go through some economic classes. Component sourcing has got nothing to do with insane sale of their products.
you earn profits from having cheap components.
where does the profit go?
in making an arcane machine that will bring back jobs back to life.
kk, just kidding.
they put that money in ads and other social-brainwashing.

If only Nokia had chosen Android over WM. I'm in a split here for I like Nokia but hate/can't trust Microsoft.
agree here.
but google is fast becoming as untrustworthy as M$ itself

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
through a combination of actual features and technology, coupled with a gigantic marketing engine, they convince the world that it needs their products - whatever form they may take.

1. The only original apple technology in their phones is (a) the screws and (b) the usb port.
2. "Actual features" - uh someone list the features of Apple vs Android or any other phone.
3. Marketing - how many apple ads have you seen compared to other phones? They have a very small marketing budget, they are trying hard to get rid of the stigma of all the weird ass marketing they did so far, and the store is trying hard to reduce its standards... in fact they are buying back their own shares for no other reason than they have a ton of extra cash...

lemme know which bit about the component sourcing you didnt understand, everyone buys phones from someone else, apple does it in parts Dell does it with the whole model its not any different...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember the time when people were smart and phones were dumb?

Now it's the opposite.

Sarath

iDota
A few days ago a friend of mine asked me to suggest a mobile under 15k. i immediately took the name of Nokia Lumia 710. A second guy told him you can't transfer files using bluetooth. 710 was immediately rejected. Bluetooth file transfer matters a lot.

Same reason I had to ditch WP for a friends gift and myself ditched the iOS. It's downright redundant.

1. The only original apple technology in their phones is (a) the screws and (b) the usb port.
2. "Actual features" - uh someone list the features of Apple vs Android or any other phone.
3. Marketing - how many apple ads have you seen compared to other phones? They have a very small marketing budget, they are trying hard to get rid of the stigma of all the weird ass marketing they did so far, and the store is trying hard to reduce its standards... in fact they are buying back their own shares for no other reason than they have a ton of extra cash...

lemme know which bit about the component sourcing you didnt understand, everyone buys phones from someone else, apple does it in parts Dell does it with the whole model its not any different...

Better read at Apple's portfolio. Everytime they announce the launch of new iPhone they get pre-orders MONTHS before and within first week of the launch their sales goes RECORD BREAKING!!!!!

We are not talking about their profit margin but their record breaking sales that made them a huge success. The profit margin too contributes, because their manufacturing plant is in china where they use cheap forced labour to produce stuff. If their production plant was in Europe or US, their product would have costed thrice.

Marketing doesn't involve just advertising. Their publicity in US and Europe and some asian countries (like Singapore, Malaysia.......) is huge thus attracting billions of customers.

iPhone 4 and 4S both had record breaking sales right after the first week of launch, their were people who had to wait for months to get their hands on it because of shortage of supply

If you run Lumia 800 its smooth compared to most of the android devices despite having lower hardware specs. When Windows Mobile 6.5 was there, it was inevitable that it is moving towards slow dealth. But Windows Phone 7 changed everything. Yes WP7 do lacks a lot of things like support for dual core and higher resolution. But all these limitations will be fixed in Windows Phone Apollo that will be released this fall

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Remember the time when people were smart and phones were dumb?

Now it's the opposite.

I only wish the last statement were true. :|

IMO, WP is gonna gain ground, but not much. Sad actually, considering how beautiful the OS is.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yep apple does manage to sell everything they produce. The strength of their company is however, not the marketing. Its the process used in the fabrication of the device, which is simply unmatched by anyone else. This is their innovation. It doesnt matter if its made by oriental slaves or eight handed aliens, the products gonna be the same. Apple is at the cutting edge of fabrication.
Windows Phone interface is coming to desktops as well, its a good interface but not really new, the line between applications being on your machine and run on the web is blurring, be ready for some things like spending small amounts of cash every time you want to use the auto-correct feature in your word document, or for activating a language keyboard
its in the last two years that Android started disturbing Nokia's dominance in the market, thats when they started waking up

yep apple does manage to sell everything they produce. The strength of their company is however, not the marketing. Its the process used in the fabrication of the device, which is simply unmatched by anyone else. This is their innovation. It doesnt matter if its made by oriental slaves or eight handed aliens, the products gonna be the same. Apple is at the cutting edge of fabrication.
Windows Phone interface is coming to desktops as well, its a good interface but not really new, the line between applications being on your machine and run on the web is blurring, be ready for some things like spending small amounts of cash every time you want to use the auto-correct feature in your word document, or for activating a language keyboard
its in the last two years that Android started disturbing Nokia's dominance in the market, thats when they started waking up

What fabrication process!??

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
First of all Nokia thinks that 808 purview can bring them success ! Well who buys a cell phone for only its camera? The mobile looks kindoff ugly and is so thick.And Upon that it comes with boring Belle.It has sh!tty App support.Woops sorry,Nokia hardly has great apps,And no customization.But if 808 came with Win 7 it might have been better

Aerrow

Journeyman
^
There is reportedly a Pureview Lumia in the works.

There's a reason its thick. Its got a massive sensor (even by point and shoot camera standards). One cannot simply hide the depth such sensors demand. And then there's the lens assembly.

And tbh, the 808 is hardly a flagship. Its what one would call a 'statement' phone. It is just a one off showpiece. Never really meant to sell in big volume.

To say Nokia hardly has great apps shows your lack of knowledge. Ever heard of Nokia maps? or Nokia drive?

Agrees completely........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom