Why shd I b allowed to install Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
The files fr which I was asked pass were on the server........
I felt really happy after seeing file names on server!
There folders like Principal,Bursar.,Mayo Management,Mayo Firewall!

wow................if I could access it:D :D

I tried to conf ethernet! Giving the DNS server, ip address etc but was unsuccessful!
Wll again try again tmrrow! Hope tht it wrks!:p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Forget about accessing those files. If you try such tricks you might end up not getting a Linux system at all. As it is odds are against installing a linux system, why do you want to give admin a reason not to install linux.
Any idea what type of connection is it? And are you sure the IP address and all you have given is correct? Maybe they use DHCP and not static IP.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
There is an icon on the taskbar which shows Lan con......
I did all tht on the basis of info we get after clicking over it!!

Like this time in my house(not lab) and I m getting this
Physical Address: 00-0B-2B-0C-75-19
IP Address: 192.168.5.75
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained: 1/19/2007 2:04:50 PM
Lease Expires: 1/21/2007 2:04:50 PM
DNS Servers: 192.168.2.12, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.7
WINS Server:

mehulved

I am not so sure but this sounds like it's using DHCP, it's not a static IP. Why else would there be line like Lease Obtained and Lease Expires. I have never seen such a thing with my connection, which has static IP.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
oh! May b then u hv a static ip!
R there any sites where I can learn abt networking?

Come online on yahoo I m using netvibes fr chatting!

mehulved

I surely have static IP. I don't know about sites, but as I said before, check your library for books.

eddie

El mooooo
The fact that you were able to view those folders, proves that you were connected to your school network properly. No issues regarding that. As far as asking password for those particular folders is concerned...the reason is that they ARE password protected. You need to login as the user who is allowed to access those folders or give password for it. SAMBA (which is the most probable software mounting those folders for you) will not allow you to access them without password.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Ya,Eddy u r right!
I even thnk thiS!
But I could access the network in static ip mode and even in DHCP mode!
Whats the reason behind this?

Our network has a proxy server squid running? I thnk I even need to conf the proxy settings!
We r allowed to access net from 2:00 to 6:00 during the week(except Sundays), I was trying to connect to net during my skool time!!
Is it poss tht server was rejecting my req and I f I try to conn to net during the time when its allowed, I wll b successful?

Need to experiment about a lot of thngs..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
DHCP servers allow clients to request for a static IP if it does not conflict with any other IP. You need to enter the proxy server in firefox preferences.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Oh! So u ned to conf proxies in firefox too.....
Well there is an option of conf proxies in Administration or a similar cateogary in ubuntu!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
nitish_mythology said:
Oh! So u ned to conf proxies in firefox too.....
Well there is an option of conf proxies in Administration or a similar cateogary in ubuntu!
check in windows if IE runs in proxy then copy values from there

eddie

El mooooo
Do you have any idea of the IP address of the system that runs the SQUID server? If you do, then just run a nmap scan on that server which will give you the port at which SQUID listens. Then you can use the server and port settings in Firefox as your proxy settings.

mehulved

I'd advice you not to mess around this way. IF you're caught, then you might not even get linux installed on one system.

eddie

El mooooo
nitish_mythology said:
I thnk it is 192.168.3.254
As soon as we start Ie a dialog box appears asking for our user name and pass for authentication!
Most probable port on which Squid listens is 80 or 8080. If you don't want to risk running a nmap scan (and yes it IS RISKY) you can try both of them in your proxy settings. If your proxy settings are correct then Firefox will ask for your username and password as well.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
tech_your_future said:
I'd advice you not to mess around this way. IF you're caught, then you might not even get linux installed on one system.

Dont worry tech_your_future.......
I m being careful at each and every step!
By the way, till the time I dont misuse it its got 2 b ok!

@edde
Why is nmap scan risky?

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
How can we configure so that firefox can use "autodetect proxy settings for this network?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom