Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters
OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
yeah u r right ... it is near CD quality for people who do not have audiophile ears ... and even CD quality is not the best ... to tell u the truth ... once u digitize audio, AC3, WAV or even HD/BD audio ... it loses some of its quality ... its just a race to getting as close to the real thing as possible without compromising on bandwidth and quality ... its a fine line!

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
it loses some of its quality

Not some, it loses a lot of quality, thats why sound engineers still use analog mixers, they convert to digital at the final step (I know people completely mixing at consoles and they just bring it to the system only for Mastering). Even at 32bit/192Khz also Digital can't come close to analog!!!

Start a new topic for Audio Codec also man...I will help if you want...

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
yeah an audio codec test and facts and myths would be gr8

guyz plz explain me how to use mainconcept's h.264 encoder
i have a few probs
1.doesn't save in avi
2.virtual dub can't open the encoded file
3.can't control aac audio bitrate
4.video bitrate still depends on avg. bitrate specified even with variable bitrate
5.can't get it to recognize as a codec in VD

plz help

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
I think you should just see this:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec_listening_test

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_codecs

*www.soundexpert.info/

it is pretty good!

And about the H264 VD probs ... yeah, u still can't do anything about it!

And about Mainconcept saving in mp4 and not avi, hmnn ... thats the way they wanted it!

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
1.doesn't save in avi
AVI is not a native container for H.264. Currently H.264 id supported by .MOV, .FLV, .MP4, .3GP, .TS, .MPEG and .MKV

If you still need H.264 in AVI, You can use "SUPER". But I heard it makes lot of problems due to limited B-frames support!!!

2.virtual dub can't open the encoded file
Yes, Virtual dub needs a VFW front end for H.264. Install FFDSHOW(with x.264) and try. (Mainconcept H.264 is not a VFW) And remember virtual dub doesn't support MP4 as of now. better stay with AVI.

3.can't control aac audio bitrate
I hope it supports, if not try Mainconcept H.264 Pro.

4.video bitrate still depends on avg. bitrate specified even with variable bitrate
Yes, it depends on Average only and not on Peak, thats right!

5.can't get it to recognize as a codec in VD
Install FFDSHOW and try...

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
dude with so many hassles i don't think h.264 fits as the best codec in my books

plz can anyone tell me the bitrate and format of audio in youtube's videos

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
nope i think i'm running out of memory lol

one more queston

sometimes when i play a xvid or rm file the video looks like it's colors have been swapped and there are scanlines all over it when i remove and reinstall k-lite it works fine then but whenever i get the problem even vlc plays it similarly.vlc using it's own codecs shouldn't have this problem.
if i try and save the image(which i just tried to show u the prob)the images shows up fine

plz help

alwynrozario

Yup.. Digging it!!!
Guys need your help.. I have downloaded 2 movies from Torrent but unfortunately they both play upside down. I guess both are Xvid format.

Please advice how I can rotate it to normal position... Thanks in advance!!!

x3060

A LOTR fan
play it in KMP . . it should play fine :)

oh and i use .mov format with sorenson as compression codec for combustion and after effects . . it works brilliantly . i dont compress it in combustion and a.e . . i do it in sorenson itself . i think .mov is the industry standard . when thinking of presenting demo reels to companys :)

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well nowadays i'm Storing my Videos as VC-1(WMV,adopted by both HD-DVD n BluRay) and Ac3 Audio as it runs brilliantly on My Xbox 360 and also bcoz both next-gen Optical Media formats have mandatory support for it , so i won't have to re-convert my video when i do get an HD-DVD Burned ;)

Softix

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the info, though it sounds quite complicated to me.
I like how MPEG2 videos look, I guess they are the best quality around, but the files encoded in MPEG2 are too big. Instead, I like Xvid, it has an amazing quality too.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
@maverickrohan

Hey dude .. plz tell me a good softwares for these purposes..
1. Joining and splitting avi files..
2. which software to join the videos in 3gp/mp4 formats,
amd can a software join the videos which are in different codecs and different resolutions!

Regards

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
use virtualdub for all avi files.or u can use virtualdub mod for wmv9,mp4,asf,etc. files.

softwares can join videos of diff. codecs but not of diff. res although even for the former we have to re-encode it.most are trialware.

though u may try Super but for me it sucks it hasn't even encoded a file till date

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Guys need your help.. I have downloaded 2 movies from Torrent but unfortunately they both play upside down. I guess both are Xvid format.

Please advice how I can rotate it to normal position... Thanks in advance!!!

Uninstall all the codecs u can from ur system & download the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from www.codecs.com -> Set ffdshow as ur decoder for DivX/XviD during the installation -> Then when your video is playing, you will see the FFv icon in your taskbar, double click on it and see whats wrong, you can do a lot of things and apply a lot of filters to your video in real time!

play it in KMP . . it should play fine :)

oh and i use .mov format with sorenson as compression codec for combustion and after effects . . it works brilliantly . i dont compress it in combustion and a.e . . i do it in sorenson itself . i think .mov is the industry standard . when thinking of presenting demo reels to companys :)

Yes you are right, *.mov & Macs are what most the people in the Graphics Design and Production Industry use. I have a roomie who is a Graphics Designer and he has his demo reel as a MOV file with a really high bitrate. But most of these guys do not know much about codecs and stuff, they just use the software the way it is meant to be used.

Well nowadays i'm Storing my Videos as VC-1(WMV,adopted by both HD-DVD n BluRay) and Ac3 Audio as it runs brilliantly on My Xbox 360 and also bcoz both next-gen Optical Media formats have mandatory support for it , so i won't have to re-convert my video when i do get an HD-DVD Burned ;)

Thats kewl ... compatibility wise thats the way to go ... To be honest, there is hardly any difference between VC-1, H264 & VP70. All three are great codecs where one will beat the others at different profiles and hardware requirements. It is just a matter of convenience now.

Thanks for the info, though it sounds quite complicated to me.
I like how MPEG2 videos look, I guess they are the best quality around, but the files encoded in MPEG2 are too big. Instead, I like Xvid, it has an amazing quality too.

Most videos will look good at high bitrates! DVDs are MPEG2, and they look good cos they are encoded at almost 4-5Mbps. VCDs are encoded at 1.1Mbps. If you encode a video at 5Mbps using MPEG1 it will still look good.

But now the objectives are different:
  • Bandwidth (videos over the net)
  • HD Broadcasts (Satellite & fiber TV)
  • Scalability (how will a video play on multiple devices, mobiles, laptops, standalone players, etc.)
  • Quality (how quality scales at different profiles)
  • HD Res (how much bandwidth the video requires at HD resolutions)
And many more objectives depending on who plans to implement the codec. And all the above three codecs are awesome and I am sure all three will prevail in the near future. VP70, VC-1 & H264

On2 the makers of VP62 & VP70 are expanding a lot and making a lot of acquisitions to help them gain a firm standing in the future.

Microsoft (VC-1) will use its clout to make VC-1 a standard, like you said, it works on your X360.

H264 is an Industry Standard (MPEG 4 Part 10) ... so it will have many applications by default.

Anywaz, the future is interesting ...

@maverickrohan

Hey dude .. plz tell me a good softwares for these purposes..
1. Joining and splitting avi files..
2. which software to join the videos in 3gp/mp4 formats,
amd can a software join the videos which are in different codecs and different resolutions!

Regards

1. VirtualDub Mod / NanDub / VirtualDub
2. 3gp ... its better to transcode these to avi, join them and then back to 3gp
3. mp4 - havn't really had the need to do it but you can try *www.mp4videojoiner.com/

No ... files with different codecs and resolutions cannot be merged. In fact even if it is the same audio & video codec + same resolution, they cannot be merged if they have even a slight difference in the Frame Rate (fps)

Last edited:

axxo

99.9% Idle
I tested today vp7 encoding with AMD X2 5200+ under default settings....i get fps around 7-10KBps for 720x480 Mpeg2 video using vdub...this doesnt seems to sound good as my old AMD 3000+ with similar setting thrown very much the same results with +- 1/2 fps difference..

Now that tells us vp7 code is not optimized for dual cores and latest proci.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
I tested today vp7 encoding with AMD X2 5200+ under default settings....i get fps around 7-10KBps for 720x480 Mpeg2 video using vdub...this doesnt seems to sound good as my old AMD 3000+ with similar setting thrown very much the same results with +- 1/2 fps difference..

Now that tells us vp7 code is not optimized for dual cores and latest proci.
Use no1 dvdripper or something like that then see what FPS you get.

also, do not stick to default settings. just post here what are the options we can tell what to choose.

axxo

99.9% Idle
^^ I suppose No1 DVD Ripper is a convertor.....but am concerned abt edting and post processing..so virtualdub cant be compared with the likes of above ones...
moreover i dont want to compare how the processor go with divx/h.264 or any other codec..
everyone know that vp7 is the slowest among the others..my point is it doesnt give any performance variation regardless of the diff processors used...
whatever may be the setting the end result is the same...

Top Bottom