Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
^^ I suppose No1 DVD Ripper is a convertor.....but am concerned abt edting and post processing..so virtualdub cant be compared with the likes of above ones...
moreover i dont want to compare how the processor go with divx/h.264 or any other codec..
everyone know that vp7 is the slowest among the others..my point is it doesnt give any performance variation regardless of the diff processors used...
whatever may be the setting the end result is the same...
ya true .. its takes double time .. and not much diff to us lame users,
but may be when high end processing and editing is done .. vp7 show its quality,
I think many games used it .. Incl NeedForSpeed, in that it does work gr8 in high speed racing videos
as for personal ripping I started using AutoGK .. its pretty good
and use VirtualDubMod for processing video and for audio lame97.exe,
the dis-adv is it support only XviD and u cant have vp7 in it to test :(
but still since I dont get good speeds with vp7 using with anyconverter or virtualdub
I just use AutoGK .. works like a charm. ;)

To rip DVDs, try VP7 with Nero AAC or MusePack. VP7 is slightly better than H.264, and supposedly much faster. Ditch DivX for XviD. XviD beats DivX any day. But Ditch both of them unless you have a DVD Player that needs videos in DivX/XviD.

Me being a Hardcore Multimedia Geek can tell you lots of stuff about encoding/ripping etc if you want. Just ask. And I am not the kind of guy who thinks aXXo rips are the world's best.

I still can't belive the fact that many here prescribe CRAP like m4v(mpeg4), DivX, and even WMV :lol:

axxo

99.9% Idle
^^ starter here....although not into video stuffs very deep..i do use these editors & convertors for final reproduction of my captured videos out of tv card.

my requirement is pretty clear..i need max quality @ lowest bitrate possible..bcoz as a 256kbps user its difficult for me to upload huge size videos...
I tried divx,xvid,vp7,x.264,3ivx,rm,wmv...from my experience vp7 ruled out every other codec when comes to low bitrate video encoding..

@MetalheadGautham
what wud be your suggestion reg. codec & settings..i can afford a max 50MB for 25min video

hi Gautam ..... i like to watch movies from all type of sources like VCD, 1 Movie DVD, 5-6 Movies DVD, DVD rip etc ..... so plz tell me the best way to rip (including software and codec to be used) so that i can store with minimum storage space and reasonable good quality (for my 17" CRT) and also tell estimated time required to rip. My config is as follows :

AMD 3600+ (on stock)
M2NPV VM
512 x 2 667
160 GB Sata II

plz help ........

^^ starter here....although not into video stuffs very deep..i do use these editors & convertors for final reproduction of my captured videos out of tv card.

my requirement is pretty clear..i need max quality @ lowest bitrate possible..bcoz as a 256kbps user its difficult for me to upload huge size videos...
I tried divx,xvid,vp7,x.264,3ivx,rm,wmv...from my experience vp7 ruled out every other codec when comes to low bitrate video encoding..

@MetalheadGautham
what wud be your suggestion reg. codec & settings..i can afford a max 50MB for 25min video
harryneopotter said:
hi Gautam ..... i like to watch movies from all type of sources like VCD, 1 Movie DVD, 5-6 Movies DVD, DVD rip etc ..... so plz tell me the best way to rip (including software and codec to be used) so that i can store with minimum storage space and reasonable good quality (for my 17" CRT) and also tell estimated time required to rip. My config is as follows :

AMD 3600+ (on stock)
M2NPV VM
512 x 2 667
160 GB Sata II

plz help ........

DVD Ripping:

For Speed, Compatability and Size:

Software: HandBrake(made by a friend of a friend of mine)
Video Codec: x264 or XviD(the latest builds)
Size: 700mb or 1 GB(of video file if ripping from DL DVD)
Settings maxed out in quality segment
audio = AoTuV b5 Vorbis or Nero HE-AAC @ 64 kbps(joint stereo or mono)
Container = OGM(not with x264) or MKV(recomended) or MP4.

playback above with a software that has support for FFMPEG PostProcessing and make it Level 6 or 200%.

For your 2 mb/min video, I guess replacing H.264 with VP7 will do the trick. Just make the audio Nero HE-AAC 32 kbps mono. Use these two in MKV container.

And yes, you might want to demux the DVD movie to indivudual audio/video streams before remuxing them together as a single matroska file using mkvtoolnix. Demuxing can be done by using SUPER encoder(disable audio track, uncheck "transcoad video", and encode to mpeg container)

I noticed, Vorbis sucks while converting from AC3 tracks, but MP3 manages them well. Must be another problem in Vorbis. I think AoTuV b5 doesn't have that problem.

....wait a sec! aXXo asking me how to rip DVDs ? OK, I forgot, this is axxo, not aXXo.

axxo

99.9% Idle
^ prove your point..
divx survive now just bcoz of its global support for devices and widely accepted format..
but nowadays outrun by the forms of h.264 and also vp7.
divx is now one generation behind...that of x.264

^^and XviD is soon going to implement a new option to ditch MPEG4-Part-2 ASP(advanced simple profile, the same thing followed by DivX) and take the newer MPEG4-Part-10 AVC(advanced video coding) standard and use it.

x264 is still being speed optimised, so in a few more months we can expect it to reach the levels achieved by Nero AVC in terms of speed. Its already stated to be better than Nero in video quality.

VP7 is propiatary, and it does not follow any of these "Offitial" standards like MPEG4. It is more similar to Theora, and hence provides very high compression qualities, and is currently the best.

So in simple words, DivX is looking pointless. Why do you even need it when there are alternatives that are cooler, faster, clearer, more friendly, easier to get, etc ?

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
I tested today vp7 encoding with AMD X2 5200+ under default settings....i get fps around 7-10KBps for 720x480 Mpeg2 video using vdub...this doesnt seems to sound good as my old AMD 3000+ with similar setting thrown very much the same results with +- 1/2 fps difference..

Now that tells us vp7 code is not optimized for dual cores and latest proci.

Even I believe it is not optimized for dual core proccys ... but if you use a good quality encoder it ends up making it faster. The last VP7 build was way back ... On2 currently focuses more on its customized business solutions as opposed to its free personal edition ... the video in the latest version of Skype is a modded VP7 ... so are some of the profiles it makes for abc.coms HD videos.

^^and XviD is soon going to implement a new option to ditch MPEG4-Part-2 ASP(advanced simple profile, the same thing followed by DivX) and take the newer MPEG4-Part-10 AVC(advanced video coding) standard and use it.

x264 is still being speed optimised, so in a few more months we can expect it to reach the levels achieved by Nero AVC in terms of speed. Its already stated to be better than Nero in video quality.

VP7 is propiatary, and it does not follow any of these "Offitial" standards like MPEG4. It is more similar to Theora, and hence provides very high compression qualities, and is currently the best.

So in simple words, DivX is looking pointless. Why do you even need it when there are alternatives that are cooler, faster, clearer, more friendly, easier to get, etc ?

VP7 is similar to Theora for a reason ... Theora is the open source video codec currently maintained by the makers of OGG Vorbis (Xiph) and Theora is nothing but the erstwhile On2 VP3 codec which was released to the Open Source community by On2 a long time ago.

Last edited:
VP7 is similar to Theora for a reason ... Theora is the open source video codec currently maintained by the makers of OGG Vorbis (Xiph) and Theora is nothing but the erstwhile On2 VP3 codec which was released to the Open Source community by On2 a long time ago.
Thats what I meant. due to the fact that its a newer version of VP3, just like theora(which is finding more and more uses today for jobs like on-the-fly encoding), it also can be optimised further for better effitiency.

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
I have a question, is xvid avi better or rmvb. I saw many files of very good quality of rmvb (i.e. good resolution and good audio bitrate) but the size almost doubles when we have the same file with xvid avi with same settings.
So, is rmvb better than xvid avi?
If yes, then why xvid avi is used to share videos on the internet?
If no, then is there any problem with rmvb?

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
rmvb is better than xvid - YES

rmvb (codec+container) is proprietary hence u get very few video processing/editing s/w for it

xvid is open source and avi is an open format container

Top Bottom