Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

memnom

Broken In
why wont anyone tak about BINK? u guys seen the Games into whats used there is BINK try google it IMHO its the best out there

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
why wont anyone tak about BINK? u guys seen the Games into whats used there is BINK try google it IMHO its the best out there

That is because it is not a very common container. That way even the Real & Quick Time codecs are excellent but they are not common containers and there are very few programs which encode/transcode video to these containers.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
hey maverick just wanna know that are there any VP7 compatible players available in the market

also vp7 is not very good for sports videos like wrestling coz it even shows the audience which is unnecessory can u tell any settings to compress these types like wmv9 which does it very well

Can't believe all these norons think xvid is the best ! grow up guyz

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Well .. I dont get it ... why is that a bad thing ... if it also shows the main details as well as other codecs and also shows the audience properly, its an amazing thing ... that shows how efficient it is ... :D

N well i have no clue if there is a VP7 compatible player .. even il have to chk it out on the net :rolleyes:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
but wmv9 compresses wrestling videos very well like almost 1.2mBpm it's a waste to see those ppl in the background.

i need that it should be bitrate based compression like in other codecs.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
guyz it's been a long time will someone try another shoot-out and this time plz post some audio-video combinations

does anyone know why on2 scrapped the idea of making a audio codec it was on it's site last year but now it's all flix

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
On2 is a small company, and it is doing really well with VP62 & VP70 ... so it makes more business sense for them to concentrate in an area where they r making good inroads rather that something new ...

This is how the market is ...

Audio:
MP3 dominates ... WMA is doing well for Microsoft ... after the iPod came in with iTunes and m4a using AAC, things r pretty saturated ....

Video: There wasnt anything much other than MPEG4 & MPEG4 derivatives, and real & QT (which were both AVCs (MPEG4 part10) .... n these codecs werent being used much commercially as in licensed n all ...

Then On2, hits the jackpot with VP62 being used in game videos, the Flash video, skype, etc. ....

Now we have HD coming up ... HD is the next big thing & HD over the net is even bigger n a big challenge for everybody .... now On2 is teaming up with abc and r planning to deliver HD over the web using a highly optimized VP70 variant ... n this is gonna be big ...

On2 r primarily a video codec company n have been developing VPXX codecs from the past decade ... it makes more sense for them to continue doing that ... especially when they r making inroads n becoming industry leaders n getting the recognition they deserve!!!

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Naah ... im always here! this thread's my baby ... Im always gonna keep nursing it! :D

I guess it is now one of the most viewed thread on Digit Forums of its kind ... They should gimme a medal for that ;)

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
i have a problem regarding dark scenes using vp62/vp7 both of them cut out huge detail when used in darker scenes even keeping the bitrate to 300 doesn't work

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
300 is low anywaz ... try setting the decompression format in Virtual Dub to YUY2 (Input & Output) ... ul find these seetings in Video\Color Depth ... it also depends on the quality of the input video!

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
one more prob. whenever i convert youtube vids to vp62/vp7 using ur recommended settings at some places the video gets stuck(a little decrease in fps) although i use VBR.

also are youtube vids really in vp62 coz some players identify it as h.263 and is the audio really 8kbps mono coz i have a video which has stereo in it.and how does the audio play fine even though it has such low bitrate and most converters allow for only 16kbps but the result totally sucks.plz explain:(

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
what s/w do u use to convert YouTube vids? ... n yes they r VP62 ... FLV1 ... there are some versions of FLV too ... its called the flash sorenson codec ... n i havnt yet seen 8kbos mono in youtube yet .. i normally see 64kbps mono @ 22KHz ... n that is fine ... WMA Voice which use 4kbps @ 8Khz also sounds good for speech ...

Top Bottom