Which Food to your Dog

T

tylerjones553

I have hear different opinions on which brand and formula of food is best for very active working dogs... Will y'all give me some feedback on your food choices and any evidence that makes it the best... Price should not be a factor.
Thanks

Sarath

iDota
Ok we are doing heavy trolling here :D

OP seems to be asking about special dog food. Looks like he doesn't want to offer his dog regular food.

A very tough ques to answer in a tech forum.

Krow

Crowman
Pedigree. That's what my friend gives at least. And lots of water.

His dogs don't like to eat from their own bowls. Always stealing from each other. :lol:

ahab

Right off the assembly line
Pedigree. That's what my friend gives at least. And lots of water.

His dogs don't like to eat from their own bowls. Always stealing from each other. :lol:

I heard that pedigree alone is not enough for dogs...

sujoyp

Grand Master
I can give my Dogs diet if you want

Morning Food - 2 roti+milk & 2 roti+1 piece mutton
And give a handfull of pedigree while playing

Afternoon food - 2 roti+milk & 1egg omelet+2 bread slice ...one handful of pedigree

Night food - 2 roti+milk & 3 roti+2 piece mutton

This way 1KG pedigree finish off in 15 days
500gm mutton finishes in 1 week
daily 1/2 liter milk needed

abhidev

Human Spambot
one more thing...if you have a puppy...too much of pedigree can create problems for the puppy...one of my frnds puppy died due to excess of pedigree..as @liverpool_fan said its a supplement,excess will be bad..not sure of the effect on bigger dogs

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
1. Sweets at no cost. It makes them shed hair from the coat.
2. Milk + roti do well.
3. Boiled chicken + rice mixed and mashed also are good.
4. Fruits if you can manage. :) Yea, they like it.
5. Avoid red meat.
6. Fresh water always available.
7. Chewies and bones available at pet shops. Helps them keep their teeth clean.
8. Lots of love.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yup due to sweets they loose hair...but sadly I give them all biscuits, mithai, cake , pastry, ice cream :( my dog loves them soo much...but will have to control it the hard way :(

I also give them boiled mutton only...raw mutton makes them vomit

chewies and bones r good but costly...4 bones cost nearly Rs.100 which my dog finish off in a weeks time...better to get actual meat bones which will provide nutrition too.

Piyush

Lanaya
I dont have one right now(will adopt a rottweiler soon :) ) but i can list down some Do's and Dont's :
avoid
-->sweets
-->nuts or give them in very small amount
-->junk food too..... a big NO

DO
-->give rotis with vegetable which you guys normally eat
-->if possible give non veg meal twice a week or you can boiled couple of eggs each morning and give them mashed up with milk (this is the most healthy breakfast for them afaik )

NOTE:
-->give them food in a periodic manner
-->dont give too much of it
-->exercise is a must

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Piyush ...yup your dos and donts r great...but remember things r not soo easy as it sounds :D

who is going to give bath...take him to doctor...give him timely food...whats your idea of exercise as dogs r not allowed in most gardens....what if your dogs jumps on each person (like in my case) ;) just some of the cases :D ....Just some fun :D

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I have hear different opinions on which brand and formula of food is best for very active working dogs... Will y'all give me some feedback on your food choices and any evidence that makes it the best... Price should not be a factor.
Thanks

Avoid Pedigree at all costs. It's one of the worst foods out there. Either give him Science Plan or Drools. Best foods in Indian market. They alone are not enough though. Rotis should not be given as they aren't that nutritious for dogs. Vegetables, fruits and milk are a big yes. Feed it milk and some fruits in the morning. Some meat plus rice in the afternoon. They love boiled chicken or goat and it's really good for them. Will keep them active plus that's what their natural food is supposed to be. In the evening, give him some pet food to keep it energetic and fulfilled. At night, don't feed it too much. Just some rice and boiled vegetables would do great.

Spread meals out. They aren't supposed to be fed two big meals like us. Don't give them spices. Bad for them. Same with oil, butter, ghee and cheese. Ghee and oil are a big no. Chocolates are harmful for their heart. Shedding coats...well they do that naturally plus if you have a dog with short hair, you might not want to shed it too often. Ice Creams are okay in controlled quantity. Onions are bad for them too. Probably the only vegetable you shouldn't feed them. Chocolates, as I mentioned are bad, but can be given to them very rarely. Once in two weeks or so. They love 'em but you gotta care for them too.

You gotta learn your dogs' rhythm. My dog couldn't process buttermilk but it might not be the case for others. They require all the nutrients we do. See to it that no vitamins are missing. They require lots of calcium too. Especially pups.

Top Bottom