Which Food to your Dog

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Milk is good for them, specially when at puppy stage and when they teeth like mad -- chew what ever they can get their mouth on.

Pedigree in shops is crap, and would not trust it. Red meat should be avoided. I remember feeding our dog salami and bacon once. Secretly. He threw up all night. My mom and sister were damn pissed at me. I mean really really pissed. They almost kicked me out of the house. :( Now we never give him red meat, not even mutton. Usually boiled chicken - his chicken comes separate to ours, and his food items have a separate section in the fridge. Lucky dude he is. I always have to take him gifts when I go visiting my parents at my home town. Damn..!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asingh
No red meat too...
Ok thats new for me

See the canines have sensitive digestive systems. Not that they cannot eat it, but they just might cause an issue. I had given our 'pom' just some small bits of salami/bacon (pork) and he puked his guts out. Almost died. The other red meat would be mutton. Again texture is hard and in boiled format (since spices are a no-no) will be difficult to their stomach. They themselves beg the most for banned stuff -- sweets and meat. Vegetarian diet with fruits (for saccharine content) is the clear winner. Keeps the healthy and robust. Chicken is soft so post-boiling and mashing with rice/roti they can manage. But do not give it 7x a week. 2-3 is good. Specially treat for the babies, you can say. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
I give my dog boiled mutton...I hope its ok..what do u say??

Initially when we fed him raw meat he used to vomit all the food and rather fall sick soo now we purchase separate mutton for him and boil it ...now no problem

We use pedigree just like we eat biscuits...I mean its a small supplement not the whole diet like they show in TV

Gollum

Collector
pedigree us the universal food for dogs. but if you can't find that, then feed your dog any food which does not contain sugar and salt.
its hard to find such food in India so you will have to prepare boiled stuff just for the dog. also give the dog, milk and egg/s everyday if possible.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I give my dog boiled mutton...I hope its ok..what do u say??

Initially when we fed him raw meat he used to vomit all the food and rather fall sick soo now we purchase separate mutton for him and boil it ...now no problem

We use pedigree just like we eat biscuits...I mean its a small supplement not the whole diet like they show in TV

Who the heck advised you to give raw meat. A dog is not a wolf...! I would suggest move to chicken vs. mutton.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I didnt knew anything...when my dog was 5-6 months old we gave him raw meat 2-3 times and everytime he used to vomit...my 2-3 cats can eat raw meat soo I thought dog can eat that too...but now my dog is 3.5 years old and we give boiled mutton.

chicken is ok but it dont have good bones to chew which dogs like :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Gosh....feel sorry for the early days of your dog. :(

You can give chicken but boneless. Chicken bones are risky cause they get stuck in the throat. Sorry if I did not tell you that. Also red meat has higher probability of worms and vermin creeping in. Cats are a different family so there 'setup' is wired for hard meat.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Don't feed him raw meat! That's insanity. And red meat depends on the dog. My dog gobbled up mutton and never once had problems. Shouldn't be fed regularly though. Chicken is the winner in the meat department.

The best dog food, imo, is Purina. It's expensive as hell. That's why we shifted to Droolz and Science Plan. Not to mention Purina was a PITA to find here. Always needed to be ordered in advanced.

Oh and BTW, if he's a pup and chewing the crap outta everything as asingh mentioned, get him a chew toy or a chew bone and do scold him. That might carry over as a bad habit when he's older. Never happened with my dog. He was ****in' great. Didn't even need to train him. Learned it all on his own but it might not be the case with every dog. My friend's lab chews away shoes, bedsheets, curtains and whatnot. That's the result of bad training and negligence. See to it that it does not happen coz he might swallow something and then a disaster-esque event might ensue.

Top Bottom