Which DVD writer to buy .?

Which DVD writer to buy .?

• Total voters

sasha007

Broken In
I feel my dvd writer is dead .

And i actually disconnected my LG dvd writer from my desktop some time back , bcoz i bought a new 1tb hdd and had only 2 sata ports , one of which was already occupied by a 160GB HDD . So i disconnected the optical drive and connected my 1TB HDD to it .

A month after that i tried to connect the optical drive by disconnecting the 160gb HDD , but it wasn't reading dvd's , though it was reading some cds but no dvds .

I then tried to connect the dvd writer to my laptop via USB ( thru an internal to external SATA drive casing ) today , and used a lens cleaner cd ( with brushes & a liquid ) to try and clean the writers lens . After that , still it reads a few cds , but no dvd's .

It has been almost 2 years since i bought it but i rarely used to burd dvd's , just some reading cd/dvd , that's all . So can writer fail even if it not used much .?

So my question is Can a DVD writer be repaired in the market .? And does a writer has different lenses for CD's & DVD's .? Can the lens be replaced .?

Or should i buy a new one .? Plz help .....

If yes , which one to buy .? LG/Sony/Asus .?

I've posted a poll , please vote your choice . :)

Last edited:

mailshobhon

THE HARDCORE GAMER
GO FOR Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive BEST BUDGET DVD WRITER LASTS FOR YEARS MY PERSONAL EXPERIANCE
HERE IS THE LINK

Flipkart: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive: Internal Optical Drive

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
Okay , I heard that LG were good . I actually used 2 LG writers in 5 yrs .

Weird that within 2 yrs of my current LG writer i burned less than 50 dvd's only . So can the lens go dead in that case too .? :O

And now many ppl recommend Asus . Is Asus really that good and even better than LG .?

One thing I'm concernerd about Asus is that Asus does not have service center so the product is RMA via distributor , where most probably we end up getting a refurbished .

While LG has dedicated service centers which repair and in some cases replace the writer with in new one within warranty .

So which is better then Asus or LG .?:-o

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
WEll, you know there is not much difference among all the brands. Give this thread a read :wink:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/150384-dvd-drive.html

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
I m having similar problems for my LG DVD writer,
even if its only a month old!!
I wil definitely not recommend LG to anyone..
I ve heard SONY is the best in DVD writers.. give it a try..

mailshobhon

THE HARDCORE GAMER
WEll, you know there is not much difference among all the brands. Give this thread a read :wink:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/150384-dvd-drive.html

i have been asus for 8 years without any issues so close your eyes and get one its cheaper also and you get world class components

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In

But ppl say that Sony have problem reading some discs . :-(

Asus vs LG is my choice . Plz vote.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
even i would recommend sony, because i've been using one for the past 2-3 yrs without any apparent hiccups. but asus can also be suggested, you could well try, though i dont have any experience with their DVD writers.

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
What about Asus service if something gets wrong within warranty .?

So do they get replaced with new ones as LG does.?

tkin

Back to school!!
It will be replaced by rashi peripherals, except rashi kolkata which sucks and will cause hassles, rashi is fine elsewhere.

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
I live in Indore , so may'be it'll be fine here .

And how does newegg having many reviews for Asus suggest that it is the best .?

tkin

Back to school!!
I live in Indore , so may'be it'll be fine here .

And how does newegg having many reviews for Asus suggest that it is the best .?
Better Product = More happy users = More good review(like the legendary E8400), while faulty products are voted down to oblivion, new egg user reviews are best way to judge the quality of a hardware, has never failed me.

erogat

Right off the assembly line

Hi, I have a peculiar problem with my 4 year old LG DVD writer, it reads/writes only DVDs not CDs. It just fails to detect any kind of CD:shock: but happily detects any DVD:-? Seeing this issue since past one year.
Can someone pls point out what could be the reason?

saswat23

Human Spambot
I have used Lite-On, Asus, HP and Samsung. All of them worked fine. I recently bought the Asus 24B3ST locally for 1k. Actually i was looking for the Lite-On iHAS624 as it has LightScribe with Label Tag feature. As this very model was not available here so i settled with Asus. And even if you fail to find this very model of Lite-On then i suggest you to get the Asus 24B3LT instead of the ST model as it has LightScribe. All the other features are same.
AFAIK only Asus comes with Retail pack. Other brands come with OEM packs mostly and you will find very less retail packs.

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
Okay . Is there any limitation on how efficiently the drive can read scratched discs .?

Like Sony drives are said not to be able to read certain types of discs . And LG drives are known to read almost all types of discs and even scratched discs . Are Asus drives also that good in reading discs especially poor and scratched ones .?

Plz reply ...

EDIT : Even after repeated attempts by me to clean my old dvd writer including cleaning the lens thru lens cleaning kit , it reads CD's just f9 , but as soon as i insert dvd's it pops a dialog saying , how do you like to use this disk : Like a USB / Flash drive or like a Cd/DVD drive . I've connected my dvd drive to my laptop via an internal to external drive kit with usb .

So is the drive dead after all .?

And Where can i get Asus DRW-24B3ST for the cheapest online .?

It is 1126 on flipkart . Plz suggest ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom