Which DVD writer to buy .?

Which DVD writer to buy .?

• Total voters

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
All DVD writers are gr8...& have pros & cons...

but buy the one which is mostly recommended.

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay . Is there any limitation on how efficiently the drive can read scratched discs .?

Like Sony drives are said not to be able to read certain types of discs . And LG drives are known to read almost all types of discs and even scratched discs . Are Asus drives also that good in reading discs especially poor and scratched ones .?

Plz reply ...

EDIT : Even after repeated attempts by me to clean my old dvd writer including cleaning the lens thru lens cleaning kit , it reads CD's just f9 , but as soon as i insert dvd's it pops a dialog saying , how do you like to use this disk : Like a USB / Flash drive or like a Cd/DVD drive . I've connected my dvd drive to my laptop via an internal to external drive kit with usb .

So is the drive dead after all .?

And Where can i get Asus DRW-24B3ST for the cheapest online .?

It is 1126 on flipkart . Plz suggest ...
Its a good price, get it, and no, reading scratched discs is not a prerequisite for drives, asus read dvds fine.

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
Its a good price, get it, and no, reading scratched discs is not a prerequisite for drives, asus read dvds fine.

Okay , that means Asus will read all types of discs as efficiently as my LG did right .? Decided to go for Asus bcoz most ppl referred it . :mrgreen:

And does the Asus drive comes with the SATA data cable and power cable .?

And can i connect it via a PCI to SATA card instead of directly connecting it to the sata port on my motherboard . :-o

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay , that means Asus will read all types of discs as efficiently as my LG did right .? Decided to go for Asus bcoz most ppl referred it . :mrgreen:

And does the Asus drive comes with the SATA data cable and power cable .?

And can i connect it via a PCI to SATA card instead of directly connecting it to the sata port on my motherboard . :-o
Yes, it comes with those adapters, and yes, you can connect it to sata card.

tkin

Back to school!!
The power cable included with the writer is a Sata power cable right .?

But i do have IDE power outlet from my PSU , so do i need an IDE to SATA power converter .??:-o
It comes with a Molex to Sata power cable, so no worries there, all PSUs have molex.

OP
S

sasha007

Broken In
Hi,

I just received the Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner which i ordered from Flipkart .

But to my surprise it did not contain the sata cable nor the molex power cable . The package only contains the dvd burner and a CD with screws . That's it .

You told that it contains Sata cable and molex power cable right .?

Then why isn't it not there .? Should i contact flipkart about this .? :shock:

Plz reply asap .... :/

tkin

Back to school!!
I replied to your PM, I think they changed the package, mine contained the cables, both of them, I'm going to purchase another soon, locally, I'll let you know if it has the cables in them.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Mine did not have the SATA or molex cable included (DRW-24B1ST, more than a year old now and still going strong).

The packages keep changing from time to time. My HP dvd1260i (which developed a tray problem after a year) came with both cables. My friend recent bought the same drive, turned out it came without these cables and the drive itself had been revised (The tray was changed, the firmware was different and the chipset was changed, the drive had reached revision B). It works better than my revision A drive did (faster writes).