Which company's Blank DVD is best ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
^^will playing mp3 songs in vlc while writing ,also affect writing???
I am asking this coz i m an audiophile and keeping my system silent for 20 minutes or so will be tough for me.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
@Phenom, You can do so, provided you have atleast 512 MB RAM, and the CPU is not busy in other processes.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Guys!! I was busy wid something so couldnt come online yesterday.. Anyway, here is my proof: *club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=118794#media-pif_slow

goobimama said:
Did anyone notice Kalpik has disappeared without explaining his claims?
^^ Please refrain from making such comments in the future.. If i make any mistake, i can admit that.. Have a look at the link, and then come back.. I am an OLD member on this forum.. I wont just "disappear" because i gave one wrong information here.

Also here: *club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61943#17)17

As i said burning a 16x disk at 12x would usually give the best results!

thunderbird.117 said:
You fact is totally wrong. Especially when it come to copying a copy protection discs you have to write it in a slower speed. It is not a misconception writing at low speed gives a good quality than a higher speed. It also depends on the disc.

Here are the link to support my claims :-

*www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/qa1104-3.htm
Taken from your link itself:
It is generally acknowledged as good practice to burn audio CDs at speeds no higher than 4x, but it is also important that you use good-quality blank media specifically designed for low-speed burning. Most computer media these days is designed for very high-speed burning, usually over 24x. Such discs may not give reliable results when burned at low speeds.
If you notice they talk about burning CDs at 4x.. So that suggests its an OLD article! Nowdays, media is optimised for high speed burning only!

Last edited:

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
My suggestion:

Never ever burn your photo collection or something that should last years on cheap DVD's. The layer on cheap DVD's is of low quality and it will degrade as months go on (not years). Always burn your precious collection on high quality DVD's. not even sony or moser baer. use TDK/Kodak high end DVD's for this task. They are costly but the data is priceless

To burn softwares and not-so-precious data, normal quality (sony/moserbaer) is enough.

For data that you don't need by this time next year, use low quality DVD's.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Nice addition... kalpik.
U put us in doubt.. again.

But I'ld like 2 stay on my point here. Lets say... not 4x, but 8x.. yah... 'll do.

Final say... for the noobies... spend some money on xperimentation with writin on a sure-fire non-scratched quality DVD (read Sony, Imation.. the likes) @ their rated speeds. Try to read them on other older DVD drives. If it works without skippin or hangin or increase/decrease in readin speed (try fast-fwding, rewind... then play... combinations for Audio/Video dvds), well & good.
Not the standard geeky:grin: way, but sure works good.

Else... try burnin @ speeds around or above 1/3rd to 1/2 the rated speeds.
This one here... never let me down. 16x media ko 8x-12x mein bhi likh sakte hain, safely.

Last edited:

rahull

Broken In
Prinko R.s 16 DVD works for me --But got to buy in 50 ka pack!

It's a Medium level quality plus suits my budget!

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
rahull said:
Prinko R.s 16 DVD works for me --But got to buy in 50 ka pack!

It's a Medium level quality plus suits my budget!

Hey i have been using writex ever since kalpik told me about its superb quality and have burnt almost 60 disks since then and only one got corrupted(while writing) till date. All the media is 16x capable n i use to burn at 8x. Very good results.

And to add icing to the cake, last time i got em for 143 or 145 for a 10 unit spindle!!!
So isnt it quite cost effective n a relatively better name than ur media !! ;)

I would recommend WRITEX

BTW the 50 or 100 unit spindle is much cheaper.

P.S : U need to handle it with care as its easily scratchable

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
Can anyone grant some insight into lightscribe DVD/CD media in India?

I hope this is not unrelated to the thread :)

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Hey once i got a light scribe media from my friend and if i m not wrong, that CD costed Rs 80!!!
Yes 1 CD for Rs 80.
So i dont think its viable to go in for that media as u can get as much as a spindle of 10 for the same cost!!

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Light Scribe is a an advanced technology where you can print the monochrome DVD label on the DVD itself using the same burner. It wasn't available last year, but when I enquired about it , they quoted a a Price of Rs. 200 for a single DVD.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
koolbluez said:
spend some money on xperimentation with writin on a sure-fire non-scratched quality DVD (read Sony, Imation.. the likes) @ their rated speeds. Try to read them on other older DVD drives. If it works without skippin or hangin or increase/decrease in readin speed (try fast-fwding, rewind... then play... combinations for Audio/Video dvds), well & good.
^^ That's not how you test the quality of burnt DVDs! You have to have a drive supporting quality scans, and then you run a quality scan through nero CD/DVD speed.. Then you compare the quality score.. All im saying is that a 16x DVD will give a higher score when written at 12-16x, and a lower score when written at 4-8x.

goobimama

 Macboy
@kalpik: No offense dude to your seniority or anything, its just an age old trick to get the fox out of the tunnel (wrong analogy? I'm sure it is).... and I was right. You did prove yourself a mere 8 hours after my post...so...

..and btw, I'm older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom