Which company's Blank DVD is best ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi guys , I recently bought a LITEON DVD burner.
I wanna know if burning/reading low quality (read cheap) blank DVDs affect the burner ????? I am not asking about scratched DVDs coz I know it definitely affects the lens. I wanna buy a few blank DVDs and hence went shopping but when I checked the prices :
sony 4.7 GB 16x costs 35 rupees. I cant afford that as its too costly . Other local brand DVDs are also available ranging from Rs.12 to Rs.20.
I am obviously inclined to buy these but am worried if it affect my drive???
I keep my discs with great care , they generally dont have even a single scratch.
Also mention which brands you use and their costs ...
I want some DVDs for making software and general backups , some for making DVDs of latest linux and other OS , and some for movies,songs etc.
Please reply...

Dink2cool

Broken In
well i use intex ones which cost 22 ...they are a little costly but still i'd rather buy them than damaging my dvds and also puting my data at stake

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
thanx for replies guys , I will try both unique and intex . But what about my other question ???
Will such cheap/local DVDs affect my burner ????

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
I think WRITEX dvds avlbl for 145 for a 10 unit spindle is also very good. Kalpik had once recommended it to me and since them m using it.
Good quality at reasonable cost bt i do think they get scratched easily.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
thanx ashu .
But,Will such cheap/local DVDs affect my burner ????
I m so concerened about my burner coz I earlier used to write/read local and scratched CD-R , CD-RW in my LG COMBO and now its makes huge noise while reading/writing and makes coaster many times.

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Well... I havent heard anythng as such i.e Quality of media affecting the drive. I have been using different medias since about 1.5-2 yrs n havent faced any problem. BTW the noise mi8 be due to ageing n loosening of drive components and moter(Though scractched disks overburden these bt they cant be solely responsible for degrading a drive's performance)

N also Writex use very good quality die(of course within their price segment) comparable to Moser baer so its wise to go in for writex

goobimama

 Macboy
Me only use Sony. Moser Baer (the market is flooded with them) has let me down one too many times....

I bought a bunch of them from Pune for 23 bucks each or so...

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
@ my place I get Sony DVDs for 20/- and Imation for 18/-. Without the case, of course.

Imation is my personal choice. It never let me down. Also while buyin loose, i do make it a point to test all the dvd surfaces for any abnormality.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
~Phenom~ said:
thanx for replies guys , I will try both unique and intex . But what about my other question ???
Will such cheap/local DVDs affect my burner ????
Well my results r not approved but might help u. The results which I obtained on my friend's Computer Shop r -

Effect on lens with SONY DRU830A & Samsung DVD writer at 16x:
SONY < Writex < intex <Eurovision < Moserbaer

Also the results for 16x writing for SONY & Writex were much better than any other brand. I don't how my friend checked the lens quality but I m telling u the results which he told me.
Also I m unable to understand that why Moserbaer quality is so down these days. It was better some months b4.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
thanx for replies guys.
Yeah moser baer quality is really going down.
I earlier around 5-6 months back ,bought a 10 CD pack of mserbaer for Rs.110 but out of them 4 were corrupt. Damn.
@goobimama, u bought sony DVDs for Rs.23 ???

@koolbluez , u buy sony DVDs at Rs. 20 only?? where do u live ??
Also r they 8x or 16 x???

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Writex is the best option in cheap media.. It uses a very good die.. (MoserBaer and Writex use the same die).. And its not that the quality of MoserBaer has gone down.. Its just that there a LOT of fake MoserBaers.. I get Writex 10 DVD pack for Rs 130 :)

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Imation 16x DVD-R
*img329.imageshack.us/img329/8845/dsc01030xf2.th.jpg
Right now, in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.

It's the wholesale rate, i suppose.

Sony DVD-R, Accucore 16x... the rate is 20/-

As Goobi says below... doesn't matter anythin around 8x for me. I write @ max speed of 8x... 4x in case of movies, music.
Prevents burn errors... supposing ur rig is doin other things. Safety. Although we've safe-burnin/buffer-underrun prevention options in the software.
My burning experience indicate that fast burns are less compatible than slow burns in some older players. They skip a lot. It's not loss of quality, it's hanging or skipping that matters.
Again.. it might b my personal belief. And I've enuf time to burn them liesurely @ 1/2 the rated speed. Never let me down.

Also Nero CD-DVD Speed might help u determine max burn speeds.

And this might also help.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Doesn't matter whether its 16x or 24x. I always write at 4x....only sometimes when I'm in a hurry, it goes up to 8x...

I bought the Sony DVDs from Pune. In Goa one shop sells them for about 50 bucks a piece...with case though...

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok thanx guys , I have decided to buy writex 10 CD pack.
@kalpik , is this writex DVD 8 x or 16x ???
@goobimama, why u always write at 4x when u can write at higher speeds ???? is there any benefit ???
@koolbluez , is sony accucore different than normal sony that we use ???

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I've burnt approx 500 DVD's in the past 18 months or so on my LG Dual Layer DVD writer...however for the past 2 months I've been burning 50 a month and I've been using cheap DVD's (Rs.10 each...it does not even have a name for this particular brand....I buy them in 100 spindles) since the last 1 year prior to that I used to use Moser Baer & very occassionally Sony.

I've burned Movies, MP3 songs, several Linux Distros, back up of my PC, photos and what not...so far I have not faced any problems with my DVD writer due to the "cheap" DVD's I use. So the answer to your question (I think...at least from my experiance) is that it makes no significant difference to your DVD writer if you use cheap media.

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Writex DVDs are 1x-16x compatible. But better write in 8x.
Check out their site: www.writex.net

There is no problem when writing DVDs at 16x. But some DVD develops unreadable tracks while writing. Just scan the DVD you wrote with nero CD-DVD speed to see if the data is intact.

There is no trouble with the burner lens when you burn a cheap DVD.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@caleb, 50 DVDs a month ?????? what exactly u do ????
@luck_star, thanx buddy.

repped u both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom