Which company's Blank DVD is best ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajasekharan

Youngling
i buy techcom . . well , i buy almost all brands :). dont care much for brand . only cost :). and i write at 6x . and cds at 24x or 16x

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@Phenom: The Writex DVDs are 16x. And one misconception people have is that writing at a lower speed will increase the quality of the DVD. But actually, you should ALWAYS write DVDs at their rated speed. Cuz the speed of the DVD is determined by the die.. So if you write at a lower speed, you will get lower quality. Remember, DVDs are very different from CDs! If you select 16x, the actual writing speed varies between 12x-14x. Very rarely would it touch a full 16x!

goobimama

 Macboy
I always write at 4x so I can continue my work while the DVD is writing. Cause if burning at 16x and you go ahead and open a document, it kind of goes into that buffer-underrrun protection thing, which isn't very good at what it does.

To the best of my knowledge though, Bad media doesn't cause harm to the writer. And if it does, I've got three years warranty on mine!

T

thunderbird.117

Can anyone tell which is the colour used in the back(writing) side of Moser Baer DVD-R?

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
kalpik said:
@Phenom: The Writex DVDs are 16x. And one misconception people have is that writing at a lower speed will increase the quality of the DVD. But actually, you should ALWAYS write DVDs at their rated speed. Cuz the speed of the DVD is determined by the die.. So if you write at a lower speed, you will get lower quality. Remember, DVDs are very different from CDs! If you select 16x, the actual writing speed varies between 12x-14x. Very rarely would it touch a full 16x!

^^^How come???
Suppose a DVD is 16x compatible, then its mentioned on it 1x-16x and not only 16x.
A high speed compatible DVD CAN be written at lower speed. People write at the rated top speed only to save the time. And if you are low on RAM, better to write ar lower speeds for efficient buffering.
Writing at lower speed will never ever decrease the quality. Quality in the sense, there will be fewer errors. In some cases, writing at top speeds may corrupt some data. You can check for yourself.:)

goobimama

 Macboy
@Kalpik: Not to doubt your knowledge as such, but can you provide some solid proof to back your statement?

T

thunderbird.117

kalpik said:

You fact is totally wrong. Especially when it come to copying a copy protection discs you have to write it in a slower speed. It is not a misconception writing at low speed gives a good quality than a higher speed. It also depends on the disc.

Here are the link to support my claims :-

*www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/qa1104-3.htm

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
err... thunderbird... kalpik was talkin about dvds... not cds... as ur link says.
Need to give a link stating the same for dvds...

@kalpik... can u back ur statement... about dvd-burnin speeds needing to b burnt @ their rated speeds only... and about quality deterioratin @ lower speeds!!!!

In my personal xperience, many dvds i wrote were destroyed (read.. hang/skip) when burnt @ the rated speed!!! I'm talkin of Sony DVDs!!!

tehnogeek

Broken In
topic still on.....no conclusion reached..... its the problem with many topics in digit forum....

all have been left without conclusion......

a final conclusion should be reached ....so that a novice like me can decide what to do..... anyways thnx for all the good replies.....

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
koolbluez said:
.....In my personal xperience, many dvds i wrote were destroyed (read.. hang/skip) when burnt @ the rated speed!!! I'm talkin of Sony DVDs!!!
That's what i say too...

anispace

dattebayo
I have used both Sony and MB and have never had any problems with either of them. But that maybe becoz i usually burn at 4x with my PC always kept idle while burnin;)

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
~Phenom~ said:
thanx for replies guys , I will try both unique and intex . But what about my other question ???
Will such cheap/local DVDs affect my burner ????
i dont think so.. what it affects is ur data(they are less secured from damage).
i am using local cd and DVD's from long back and still now no problem with my Sony Combo and LG DVD writer(nearly 2yrs old)..

and ya better keep at 4x for DVD's as i always do so and never got problems(Xcept some damaged DVDs sometime.. ya it happens with Locals)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom