What the **** is going on with BSNL BB?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Then he needs to contact the Local exchange of BSNL to the Technical Officer who oversees the Broadband Network of BSNL.
OP must shed his emotion(rage + ego) otherwise he needs to change to other network(different ISP) or comply with the wretched status of his own BSNL network.

NO OTHER CHOICES.....

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Open your router settings and hunt around for "SNMP" or "Trap" settings. Usually it would be under tabs/pages for "Access Management". [Note that quoted phrases might be different for your particular device]
Now, once you find the proper page, you should have (among many) three boxes for
1. Trap Host: Enter the DHCP-assigned or manually set IP for your network device (PC/IP Phone/Cell/TV whatever) in this box. Note that if you are NOT using manually-assigned IP (as opposed to DHCP-assigned), then every time your IP (not BSNL assigned external IP, but internal network ID assigned by DHCP) changes (for the device from where Networx is monitoring your WAN traffic), you will have to re-assign the IP here in this box.
2. Get Community: (or something similar to get): Enter a strong passphrase here (note that your device might have length/character restrictions).
3. Set Community: (or something similar to set): Enter a strong passphrase here (note that your device might have length/character restrictions).
Usually, for 2 and 3, you might see that the default value is already assigned to "public". I recommend you change it to a custom value, which only you are aware of.

Now, in the networked device (PC/IP Phone/Cell/TV whatever), where Networx is running and from where you want to monitor the WAN traffic from, open Networx settings, hit CTRL + O (<-- not a zero) to open hidden options.
Scroll down till you find "Router SNMP community" and set the value to the value you set in Point 2 above (GET Community).

Now click on Ok and close the settings page.
Open the settings page again (NOT the Hidden Options), select the "Monitor my router rather than this computer" link and in IP address, enter the IP of your router and in WAN interface, select the "Virtual Circuit" (PVC0,1,2,3 etc. whichever you have used to configure your PPPoE settings) or ISP mode (depending on what Networx shows you - its intuitive, you will know).

And now Networx should be monitoring traffic between BSNL and ANY of your networked devices through this router.
Hey Mario thanks. And sorry for the late reply. You see I opened the SNMP settings for my router, it was hidden, but after opening I see this page,
*img841.imageshack.us/img841/2126/dg834g.jpg
Any idea what to do now?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Mario thanks. And sorry for the late reply. You see I opened the SNMP settings for my router, it was hidden, but after opening I see this page,
Any idea what to do now?

Check "Turn SNMP On", type a passphrase in "Read Community Name", Click Apply, Reboot router (probably optional).
Now, do the rest of the settings in Networx, like I have mentioned in my previous post and report back if it works or not.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay, will do that when I have my WiFi enabled cell and report back. Thanks again.
Btw, by passphrase you mean a password right?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay, will do that when I have my WiFi enabled cell and report back. Thanks again.
Btw, by passphrase you mean a password right?

Use anything except for the word "public". ["public" is kind of like the default string that most vendors would put in that field, like they use the string "admin" for the router administration password by default]

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
How is connection today? At 9 am it was slow, and now I just got back and its same! 5-10 KB/s, sometimes even not that.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

check snr(>15) & attn(<50) values in modem when this happens.also check for any crc/bit errors.
Friend @whitestar,I am having presently this(Modem:D-Link DSL-2520U ADSL2+ modem/router):
Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2+
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 21.9 5.2
Attenuation (dB): 33.0 38.1

Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 20220 488
Rate (Kbps): 8191 501
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 13
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 254 14
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 16
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 4
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 14
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.9922 15.0519
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 2056 135
D (interleaver depth): 1 4
Delay (msec): 0 15

Super Frames: 837681 794537
Super Frame Errors: 46 13
RS Words: 0 3579392
RS Correctable Errors: 0 325
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

HEC Errors: 25 10
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 260955131 305884
Data Cells: 2655275 1752
Bit Errors: 0 1648

Total ES: 38 7
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 32 0
Is it O.K.?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
upstream snr is very low.it should at least be 15 for stable connection.since other values are ok maybe it is just a case of some loose connection.disconnect & reconnect(this time a bit forcefully but not too much) telephone wire into the adsl splitter & between splitter & modem.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Check "Turn SNMP On", type a passphrase in "Read Community Name", Click Apply, Reboot router (probably optional).
Now, do the rest of the settings in Networx, like I have mentioned in my previous post and report back if it works or not.
Okay Mario, I have done what you said, but I can't access that WAN interface option. It's blank!
Here is what I did,
Opened my router's SNMP page and did this,
*img547.imageshack.us/img547/5582/networxsnmp.jpg
Then I went to Networx on my PC and did what you said (the router's IP address is the one I see under 'default gateway' after typing ipconfig in cmd right?), but that WAN interface tab is giving me no option,
*img571.imageshack.us/img571/9785/networx.jpg

*img197.imageshack.us/img197/9785/networx.jpg

So what's the problem? My router is not SNMP supported?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
@ithehappy:

Hmm, I forgot to tell you to add the trap host!
In the SNMP page on your router, can you add the IP address of the computer where Networx is installed to the System Location box and repeat the same steps as earlier again?

BTW, please confirm if you are using PPPoE?

I did some googling but I am not sure which box [System Name/Contact/Location] is the "trap host" for Cisco devices. Hopefully, its system location. Check if it works with this configuration.

Edit: Post your router model please.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

To all the @TDF Friends:--->

I again admit and say "Dum Dum" Telephone exchange of BSNL is really doing a superb job.

They are trying their best to uplift and upgrade their service to us the Broadband Customers.

Yesterday,after returning from my office I found that BSNL BB network was down,though the call(Telephone) facility was open and O.K.

I phoned at BSNL's Complaint No. 18003451504(IVRS, totally toll free) ,and was provided with a complaint docket number against my telephone number.

PLAN is 950ULD BSNL Dataone Broadband.

Today,being Saturday,our office closes at 1:30p.m.

After I returned home,I was told by my wife that BSNL(Dum Dum Exchg.) telephoned me(I was at office...!!!) at my residence(Fixed Tel. No.)and queried about my problem. They also told to my wife,that the server(Dum Dum Exchg.) went down/crashed yesterday evening onwards.
They are in an emergency mode to repair the server fault,such that the Broadband lines in our area gets restored ASAP.

Ultimately Broadband lines are restored and running completely O.K. as of NOW.

*www.speedtest.net/result/2760245585.png

Very much short of 4Mbps,as I haven't passed the 8GB FUP mark till now...

But Friends,what is this?(Added on 17:37 or so today...)

WELCOME TO BSNL BROADBAND (Multiplay Network) SPEED TESTER PORTAL

Your IP Address is: 117.*.*.* Date Of Test:08-06-2013 17:35:18 <---- Note the TIME which is currently taken
Your current bandwidth reading (in Mega bits per second) is:

6.45 Mbps

(DOWNLOAD speed in kilo bytes notation is 825.81 Kilo Bytes/sec).

Retest Close

WEB DESIGNED BY BROADBAND NOC, BANGALORE

Which one is true?
The above one taken from BSNL site OR the image snap taken from SPEEDTEST.NET...

Last edited:

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Both are "true"! Speedtest is more "reliable" or rather "realistic" depending on the server you chose for the test.

Vignesh B

Youngling
To all the @TDF Friends:--->

I again admit and say "Dum Dum" Telephone exchange of BSNL is really doing a superb job.

They are trying their best to uplift and upgrade their service to us the Broadband Customers.

Yesterday,after returning from my office I found that BSNL BB network was down,though the call(Telephone) facility was open and O.K.

I phoned at BSNL's Complaint No. 18003451504(IVRS, totally toll free) ,and was provided with a complaint docket number against my telephone number.

PLAN is 950ULD BSNL Dataone Broadband.

Today,being Saturday,our office closes at 1:30p.m.

After I returned home,I was told by my wife that BSNL(Dum Dum Exchg.) telephoned me(I was at office...!!!) at my residence(Fixed Tel. No.)and queried about my problem. They also told to my wife,that the server(Dum Dum Exchg.) went down/crashed yesterday evening onwards.
They are in an emergency mode to repair the server fault,such that the Broadband lines in our area gets restored ASAP.

Ultimately Broadband lines are restored and running completely O.K. as of NOW.

*www.speedtest.net/result/2760245585.png

But Friends,what is this?(Added on 17:37 or so today...)

Which one is true?
The above one taken from BSNL site OR the image snap taken from SPEEDTEST.NET...
The second one from the BSNL states the maximum speed that your connection can extract irrespective of your plan. Its only useful decide on which plan to take, like now you know any plan above 6Mbps is a waste for you.
And as stated by Mario, speedtest.net's speed indicates the speed you can download from their server and that depends on the distance. And it presents almost your actual speed.
Remember, your usual download speeds won't get increased above the speed cap of your plan.

kg11sgbg

^^

Suddenly after repairs it seems that the speed of Broadband has taken a hit??!!

Vignesh B

Youngling
Getting 1.11 Mbps out of 4Mbps is not something to be proud of! Since you're testing on a Hyderabad server, that is the speed that you will be getting normally. Unless that server was heavily loaded during the time of testing.
I think you didn't get my previous point. The BSNL speed test indicates the maximum speed your connection can handle, regardless of what your current plan is" It depends on your line quality. The actual speed that you'll get will never be above your plan's speed cap.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
also remember that by default the speed cap at local exchange DSLAM is set at 2mbps so to get 4mbps or above speed you need to contact local exchange to raise this speed cap.just confirm that after server reset/repair they did not change back your DSLAM speed cap to 2mbps.

kg11sgbg

Getting 1.11 Mbps out of 4Mbps is not something to be proud of! Since you're testing on a Hyderabad server, that is the speed that you will be getting normally. Unless that server was heavily loaded during the time of testing.
I think you didn't get my previous point. The BSNL speed test indicates the maximum speed your connection can handle, regardless of what your current plan is" It depends on your line quality. The actual speed that you'll get will never be above your plan's speed cap.

I think Vignesh you totally missed my point or misunderstood.

Where is the question of proudness? IN FACT I AM EMOTIONALLY REVERSE...
By "hit" I meant,that instead of the claimed speed of 4Mbps,the speed has been reduced to 1.11Mbps.In this context the word hit should have been replaced with "sucks" or "crash" or ...

*www.speedtest.net/result/2761719729.png

My latest result...:-D:mrgreen:
Hopefully it stays according to conditions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom