What the **** is going on with BSNL BB?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Came back from UK today, and what the **** is going on with BSNL BB? It's been pathetic for straight two weeks now, obvisuly I didn't use for those days when I was outisde, but my mom is saying it was same! I normally get 1.6-1.7 mbps, now it's 0.3 mbps, upload speed is alright. Been using BSNL for 7-8 years or more, never seen a problem like this.
Sometimes Youtube works all fine, with full speed (225 KB/s), yet the browsing speed is slow. A standard 5 mb photo is taking 5+ minutes to load, which used to take some seconds. I had faced this problem before as well, but it all got solved within 2 or max 3 days.
I don't have a 3G plan, as I always use WiFi both in home and office, but this is getting beyond tolerance. Filed a complain before going abroad, idiots called, and asked me to 'format' my PC, I asked them to 'format' their office. I filed another complain just few minutes back, a dumb will call tomorrow and say some usual nonsense again.
Could anyone confirm if he/she is facing a same problem like me?

PS: The problem is not there after 12 or 1 a.m. But it comes back again at morning!!

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
someone once said about bsnl bb - "JAB yeh chalta hai to isse achchha kuchh nahin hota"
i asked - "JAB?" and he replied - "YES! JAB!"
this was some 5-6 years back but i have got the same feedback even now. most of the support staff is useless.
btw - airtel people told me once to format the pc (regarding speed issue). i said - come, select any PC (in my office) and sit with me. i will get a new HDD and format and then install OS using original CD. then it will be all yours. then i will not take any excuse for speed issue. the guy vanished for 2 weeks. :D
tata photon person once said and i formatted the laptop of a colleague 3 times, last time in front of the tata guy. he then said it is beyond his capabilities. my colleague was not listening to me initially and he thought it is problem at their end and wanted tata guy to fix it. i then fixed it by applying a windows patch.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Came back from UK today, and what the **** is going on with BSNL BB? It's been pathetic for straight two weeks now, obvisuly I didn't use for those days when I was outisde, but my mom is saying it was same! I normally get 1.6-1.7 mbps, now it's 0.3 mbps, upload speed is alright. Been using BSNL for 7-8 years or more, never seen a problem like this.
Sometimes Youtube works all fine, with full speed (225 KB/s), yet the browsing speed is slow. A standard 5 mb photo is taking 5+ minutes to load, which used to take some seconds. I had faced this problem before as well, but it all got solved within 2 or max 3 days.
I don't have a 3G plan, as I always use WiFi both in home and office, but this is getting beyond tolerance. Filed a complain before going abroad, idiots called, and asked me to 'format' my PC, I asked them to 'format' their office. I filed another complain just few minutes back, a dumb will call tomorrow and say some usual nonsense again.

PS: The problem is not there after 12 or 1 a.m. But it comes back again at morning!!

What a badass reply
anyways MTNL ki Jai!
the best Public Sector BB

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Today is same! Probably the 15th day straight.
Usually an idiot called and asked if the phone line was okay and before giving me chance to say anything disconnected the line.
My tolerance level is near broken!

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Today is same! Probably the 15th day straight.
Usually an idiot called and asked if the phone line was okay and before giving me chance to say anything disconnected the line.
My tolerance level is near broken!

go to their nearest "office" or Telephone Exchange
And give them a piece of mind

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
give example of some site you are having problem with.i will check with my bsnl connection.also just to be sure in your modem info page confirm that snr values are above 20(or at least 15) for both down & upstream.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz

Me too facing strange issues for about 2 weeks now - but in my case, browsing speed is like it used to be, but speeds while streaming and downloading without download manager are about one-sixth of the usual.
On top of that, earlier, on lodging complaint, line guy used to come to check cable (and in my case, it was almost always the damn cable that had some issues) but now "complaints" are getting resolved automatically without anyone showing up or calling to verify.
Oh and they increased tariff by 50 bucks to rub salt on the wound I guess!

Funny thing is, SNR/Attn/usual modem values are all as they used to be...and they used to be pretty good and still are.

give example of some site you are having problem with.i will check with my bsnl connection.also just to be sure in your modem info page confirm that snr values are above 20(or at least 15) for both down & upstream.

Can you try streaming from listen.grooveshark.com? Earlier I never got any stuttering but that's all I get now.

I have nothing to dl from torrents now so cannot confirm that...thinking of dl-ing some *nix distro via torrent just to check this.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Try this photo for example,
*www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/21966.jpg

It's been 5 minutes so far, and the photo is not loaded half yet!
And I don't see any SNR values under modem status, Noise margin and Line attenuation are there!

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Try this photo for example,
*www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/21966.jpg

It's been 5 minutes so far, and the photo is not loaded half yet!
And I don't see any SNR values under modem status, Noise margin and Line attenuation are there!

Photo loading at around sixth of its usual speed!
Is that noise margin metric above 40? Is it showing a value you usually see or something far less? If less, it might mean line (or some other hardware on the line) issue!

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Photo loading at around sixth of its usual speed!
Is that noise margin metric above 40? Is it showing a value you usually see or something far less? If less, it might mean line (or some other hardware on the line) issue!
See the attached pic. The thing is I rarely open my router login page, so I can't say if these values are lower than normal or not.
Btw- Did that photo load for you fully? Mine is not even loading fully, it's almost 10 mins now!
The wondering thing is after 12 or 1 am everything seems to be normal! ****in nonsense.
Bsnl BB.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
photo is downloading at ~90KB/s speed which i say is usual for browser without download manager but getting very poor ping result(100% packet loss) & tracert result(20 out of 30 hops timed out).try it with some proxy site.

your upstream noise margin(aka SNR) of 11 is very low considering attenuation is only 3.at this attenuation value it should be ~25 at least.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
See the attached pic. The thing is I rarely open my router login page, so I can't say if these values are lower than normal or not.
Btw- Did that photo load for you fully? Mine is not even loading fully, it's almost 10 mins now!
The wondering thing is after 12 or 1 am everything seems to be normal! ****in nonsense.
View attachment 9591

That photo opened for me in about 2 minutes (but it would usually take seconds).
Your Noise margin ratio is okayish, not great! Downstream attn is pretty high actually - get your line checked for minute rips/tears. Pick up the receiver and dial 1, do you hear crackling sounds?

At least it becomes okay for you after 12, no such luck for me :(

photo is downloading at ~90KB/s speed which i say is usual for browser without download manager but getting very poor ping result(100% packet loss) & tracert result(20 out of 30 hops timed out).try it with some proxy site.

your upstream noise margin(aka SNR) of 11 is very low considering attenuation is only 3.at this attenuation value it should be ~25 at least.

Packet drops - exactly what seems to be happening to me!

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
90 KB/s is fine, totally.
What proxy site should I test? No idea!
The only thing working fully is the YouTube videos which are downloaded via IDM, at 220 KB/s.
Torrents are being downloaded at 120 KB/s, which is decent. Problem exists on everywhere else.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Mario,attenuation value depends on your home's distance from local exchange & to get single digit values your home must be within a Km from local exchange.my value is 41 because i am about 3.5km away from exchange & 2mbps is not a problem.

@ithehappy,try anonymouse,ninjaproxy,hidemyass(just search in google).

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Mario: Dialed 1. Absolutely no noise. After some secs heard busy tone.
My local exchange is less than 1 km from my home.
Are you located in Calcutta?
PS: Could this be the land line I'm using? Those idiots always say if you are not using a BSNL phone there will be problem. Honestly I never believed that ****! However I'm using it for more than 4 years though.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
90 KB/s is fine, totally.
What proxy site should I test? No idea!
The only thing working fully is the YouTube videos which are downloaded via IDM, at 220 KB/s.
Torrents are being downloaded at 120 KB/s, which is decent. Problem exists on everywhere else.

In my case too, if I dl something with a Dl mgr, it downloads at the usual speed, but if I dl with Fox, it drops to a sixth of its usual :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ithehappy,i am assuming you are using an adsl filter to separate incoming telephone line to split into phone & broadband line.as for noise margin its fine & telephone or no telephone it doesn't matter as long as you are using the adsl splitter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom