What the **** is going on with BSNL BB?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Thanks for the comment,whitestar which is a respite to me.

But what about the other problems,mainly Browsers within Linux distros....???

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't use linux so better wait for other bsnl linux users but you can check one thing:if you are using a dialer to connect(instead of pppoe/always on mode) in linux then it may be a MTU issue.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Now talking about sheer ignorance of BSNL staff...the DGM broadband called me yesterday and enquired about the speed of my connection. I said it's horrible - then he asked me "do you have any idea whether the undersea cable cut has been restored?"

I was like - huh?? :shock:

No hope with this ISP guys..seriously, but then I have no other option available in my area either :cry:

This is howlarious :rofl:

---------------------------------------

@kg11sgbg: Just out of curiosity,

1. Have you always faced this issue of slow browsing speed on *nix or is this the first time?
2. Whats your NIC chip and model no.?

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@probuddha: I am having the same YouTube problem for last 4-5 days, it just opens a blank page if I click on video! I gotta refresh it 4-5 times to see the actual video. First I thought it was a Chrome problem but nah!
After six weeks if not more I have downloaded 4 GB stuffs today. No, the problem is NOT solved, just my good luck maybe, or the host called Putlocker is too good to go with IDM.

kg11sgbg

i don't use linux so better wait for other bsnl linux users but you can check one thing:if you are using a dialer to connect(instead of pppoe/always on mode) in linux then it may be a MTU issue.
I am in pppoe/always on mode even in Linux.
MTU is set to 1462

Is the MTU incorrect?

WHOOAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

NOW EVERYTHING IS NORMAL UNDER LINUX!!!!!

Issues are gone!!!!

Speeds are:
*www.speedtest.net/result/2642127834.png

STILL NOT GETTING THE PROMISED/CLAIMED SPEED OF 4 Mbps TILL 8GB(FUP):-x:hot:

Strangely,now my IP address as according to BSNL are correct,previously for the past two~three days the IP address was different?????????????Which might have posed problems for Linux.

@whitestar, suggestions and advice requested....

Last edited:

Vignesh B

Youngling
I am in pppoe/always on mode even in Linux.
MTU is set to 1462

Is the MTU incorrect?
MTU varies for everyone.
You can find the optimal MTU by following this method
Type in CMD - ping <any website name> -f -l 1492 (For PPPoE, MTU should be no more than 1492 to allow space for the 8 byte PPPoE "wrapper")
If it returns Packet needs to be fragmented, but DF set, reduce the value by 10 till you find the packet size, that does not fragment. Now increase the packet size in small amounts, till you find the packet size that does not fragment.
Add 28 more to this (since we specified ping packet size, not including IP/ICMP header of 28 bytes), and this is your optimal MTU.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what different ip address were you getting?also don't rely on speedtest so much.use a download manager to download some big setup from microsoft site & then check speed.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Same ultra slow speed in browser!

What DNS is preferred, Google or Open?

The answer may be "either", depending on whichever gives you a better experience, or "neither", depending on how paranoid you are about your online privacy! ;) :p

Go ahead and use either, but in your case, I am not too optimistic that it would cause any drastic difference!

Vignesh B

Youngling
Same ultra slow speed in browser!

What DNS is preferred, Google or Open?
Depends. Run a DNS benchmark like DNS Benchmark and/or Namebench to determine the fastest DNS for you.
Open DNS is more customizable(if you create an account - free is enough) like it provides phishing and botnet protections, Google DNS is a no-frills DNS, with no site blocking as such.
Trouble with Open DNS is, their nearest server for us is in Singapore, so it is usually slower than Google DNS(though in normal usage, you won't notice it as such)

kg11sgbg

Friends, now everything is NORMAL in net working...either through Windows or Linux in all the Browsers.All sites/pages are opening at ease,no delay as such...

EXCEPT that BSNL has capped my speeds(Bandwidth) to 2.6~3 Mbps but not above that in 950ULD PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!,still short of reaching the FUP 8GB (upload/download).
Till today I've consumed 4.6GB.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Friends, now everything is NORMAL in net working...either through Windows or Linux in all the Browsers.All sites/pages are opening at ease,no delay as such...

EXCEPT that BSNL has capped my speeds(Bandwidth) to 2.6~3 Mbps but not above that in 950ULD PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!,still short of reaching the FUP 8GB (upload/download).
Till today I've consumed 4.6GB.
You are lucky to get even 3Mbps. I know of people who den't even get 2 Mbps for the same plan.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Everything is so fast on my end! Websites are loading before typing it's address! Brilliant :eek:
Is there any forum for BSNL broadband users only?

Vignesh B

Youngling
Everything is so fast on my end! Websites are loading before typing it's address! Brilliant :eek:
Is there any forum for BSNL broadband users only?
Won't happen until you are searching on Google and have enabled Google Instant. :p Anyway, good for you. At last that you're month long problem has been solved.
Btw I don't know of BSNL "only" forums. But you can look out for India broadband forum or Broadband forum.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:
Speeds are worse of worse today! Least YouTube used to work fine, today it isn't!
India broadband? Hmm, I've seen it before. Might give it a look. Last time I checked they were talking about an year old issue :p

Vignesh B

Youngling
I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:
Speeds are worse of worse today! Least YouTube used to work fine, today it isn't!
India broadband? Hmm, I've seen it before. Might give it a look. Last time I checked they were talking about an year old issue :p
Oh. That's sad.
Those are the "only" active broadband based forums in India. But you can't compare TDF to other forums in India.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
From yesterday afternoon everything is more ****ed up! Now even Torrents are not being downloaded at good speed, which used to work great under any circumstances! Everyone here is facing this problem!!

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
From yesterday afternoon everything is more ****ed up! Now even Torrents are not being downloaded at good speed, which used to work great under any circumstances! Everyone here is facing this problem!!

All of you, who are affected, should visit the exchange together and create a ruckus!

Top Bottom