What is better: IPHONE 5 OR GALAXY SIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarath

iDota
The iPhone 5 has not reached end users yet. Wait till the first batch comes in and see if it has any problems as such. Remember the antenna problem with the iP4. Hope nothing similar happens again.

You can consider: iP5, SGS3, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia Win 8 series (even better if you are interested in a Win tablet)

Keep your options open and wait it out.

-----

As for SGS3, it is a brilliant phone but as for any android, how good the phone is, depends on how many it sells. Developers would then make sure atleast you have an app that is better optimised, almost as good as iphone. Much like the SGS2 which sold in volumes enough to compete with iPhone. Not coz of the hardware but 'coz of it massive sale. Developers had specific apps built for SGS2 etc etc. People rooted it and it pawned iP4 bad.

I have seen only 2 SGS3s yet. Initial impressions were good although, I wouldn't say it's girly but it is a cute phone. If you can carry it off then you should. The screen was gorgeous. Another reason I felt it is more suited to girls is the screen size. It is just so massive, I do not know how we can pocket this device. It is slim so it goes into a purse beautifully. Also the icons, which are horrible as usual. Maybe that is 'coz of my personal exposure to iOS and Sony's custom UI on Android everyday - two of the best UIs in stock version. So if you do get a SGS3 do root it and change the icons. The stock ones look okayish and do not justify putting 35k for this slab.

Krow

Crowman
I don't like the SIII. Bad looking phone. First time Samsung stopped copying Apple and the result is an ugly phone with horrible icons. The ui is good, phone is smooth as well.

Too early to comment on iPhone 5, but iOS is a better platform than Android. Ignore all the trash about Customisation and rooting, I didn't pay for the phone to waste hours trying to make it work well.

Out of the box, iPhone wins.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I don't like the SIII. Bad looking phone. First time Samsung stopped copying Apple and the result is an ugly phone with horrible icons. The ui is good, phone is smooth as well.

Too early to comment on iPhone 5, but iOS is a better platform than Android. Ignore all the trash about Customisation and rooting, I didn't pay for the phone to waste hours trying to make it work well.

+1, when I bought my SG Apollo, I was plagued with issues. two years down the lane. I am using a stand by Nokia phone cause my phone doesn't give me enough back up to listen to music and make some calls.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well by now everyone knows how much I loathe Fandroid, but out of those two I might pick S III.
Why? Little better spec, a cool notification light, HD AMOLED screen, 4.8"(big screens are a huge advantage for me), Flash in web browser, SD card slot, HD video playback support of any format out of the box etc. But it runs on Android, that's the sad part, be it Ice Cream or that hyped Jelly, and the disgusting materials used.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Well i too agree with this. Fragmentations in android is taking the toll. Had it been a closed ecosystem like IOS, it would have had much better and useful apps.

I would say android has become a smartphone platform for masses as it powers a wide array of devices at all pricepoints and so is good. Premium users should also look at win 8 as its highly promising
and also has a closed ecosystem and no bloatwares developed for it. Lumia win 8 series and samsung ativ series are the phones to look out for in this area and both should be a worthy competitor for ios.

The krait based soc's also perform solidly.

Well by now everyone knows how much I loathe Fandroid, but out of those two I might pick S III.
Why? Little better spec, a cool notification light, HD AMOLED screen, 4.8"(big screens are a huge advantage for me), Flash in web browser, SD card slot, HD video playback support of any format out of the box etc. But it runs on Android, that's the sad part, be it Ice Cream or that hyped Jelly, and the disgusting materials used.

I think spec sheet of iphone 5 is superior albeit a smaller display. Two A15 cores are massively powerful and support out of order execution and superscaler pipelining.
It can actually assign multiple instructions in a single clock cycle and assign them to different functional units in the cpu like alu, fpu etc.

Besides, its so flexible that it can use upto 1tb of ram in server implementations despite not being 64 bit. But the arm v8 architecture will be 64 bit and A15 already shares a similar design philosophy.

Talking about performance, a dual core A15 is 30- 40% faster than a quadcore A9 ( which the s3 has). I think this can also hold up with a quadcore krait s4 which also beats exynos A9 QUAD.

So its wrong to say that s3 has better specs. Its the other way round. Exynos 5250 will have A15.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Correction - Apple A6 does not use Cortex 15 cores, its a custom Arm V7 design. And the GPU is SGX543MP just slightly higher clocked. So the Iphone 5 isn't even as powerful as the new Ipad.

I think you should edit your post now. Iphone 5 cannot blow the GS3 exynos out of the water :)

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Stupid question. Apple all the way. And personally I like 3.5 screens much better than 4 or more. Friend of mine bought a SII, I couldn't believe how cheap it felt to hold it. Disgusting build quality.

tasamono

Broken In
@^ 3.5 inch screens better than 4? Are you kidding me? Long time reading on a 3.5 inch screen will give you a headache bro. Also it takes all the fun out of the websites with a lot of content. For me Galaxy "Series" All the way :)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Friend of mine bought a SII, I couldn't believe how cheap it felt to hold it. Disgusting build quality.
Now hold the S III and come back here to state about its build quality. But you might wanna use spoiler that time:p
@^ 3.5 inch screens better than 4? Are you kidding me? Long time reading on a 3.5 inch screen will give you a headache bro. Also it takes all the fun out of the websites with a lot of content. For me Galaxy "Series" All the way :)
If a person has to use just one phone as primary purpose then yes, small phones are definitely better to hold, carry and use. A big phone, like SIII or Note, frankly can't be used easily, especially it'll be a pita when you're on road, in a busy area etc. and I think that's a purpose of a 'mobile' phone.
But when you're home, lying on couch or bed, then a big screen phone will be unmatched, as it'll be great for web browsing, watching videos, playing games etc etc. Now that should be called a secondary purpose device.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^

Correction - Apple A6 does not use Cortex 15 cores, its a custom Arm V7 design. And the GPU is SGX543MP just slightly higher clocked. So the Iphone 5 isn't even as powerful as the new Ipad.

I think you should edit your post now. Iphone 5 cannot blow the GS3 exynos out of the water :)

Hmm just checked it out and it seems to draw heavily from A15 like OoO , and superscalar (probably).

Will edit my post after benchmarks surface. :)

tasamono

Broken In
Now hold the S III and come back here to state about its build quality. But you might wanna use spoiler that time:p

If a person has to use just one phone as primary purpose then yes, small phones are definitely better to hold, carry and use. A big phone, like SIII or Note, frankly can't be used easily, especially it'll be a pita when you're on road, in a busy area etc. and I think that's a purpose of a 'mobile' phone.
But when you're home, lying on couch or bed, then a big screen phone will be unmatched, as it'll be great for web browsing, watching videos, playing games etc etc. Now that should be called a secondary purpose device.

^I disagree, I have been using galaxy note for quite sometime now and never felt its difficult to use, also that device has almost replaced a laptop in my life, no matter if on a long train or a bus to office ,i can browse internet watch movies on the go. Guess its more about choice and preference. To some extent note is a bit big but i can easily say SIII is just the right size.

ujjwal321

Journeyman

That is pure ignorance.. jelly bean isn't hyped as it should be.. if u had used jelly bean device I'm sure you wouldnt say that.. android was catching upto ios till ics but jelly bean is one step ahead of ios.. no more do you have to compromise performance for customization.. it runs extremely smooth even in my 2 year old galaxy s.. the only place where iphone 5 beats galaxy s3 is in design.. whoever says touchwiz is ugly is an ignorant hater and hasn't bothered using android.. you are not stuck with the same icons in grid pattern.. if u don't like the default icon, launcher, there are tons of replacement available in play store.

doomgiver

Warframe
what? stupid question? my, look who is talking!!!

you look for build quality in phone like that? maybe you didnt look closely enough, i did, and its a gorgeous phone, an iPhone killer

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
was comparing. SG III has a barometer lol, didn't think the iPhone 5 should have a barometer till I came across that spec
this is the problem, the SGIII does not have to be an iphone killer, it has to kill the entire ecosystem, which it obviously cannot do... it stopped being about devices about 5 years ago, now this is getting gimmicky, tilt to zoom, flip over to silence.... all good! not sure if these kind of things are expected from an apple device, and more likely they will just be irritants (for apple users)... if the SGIII device sells well, and the apps on the device sell well, then it will be a better option than the new iphone, but this is not gonna happen
droid users dont seem to be comfortable with apps at all
play store is a joke, even developers don't like it because of the high piracy rate
the way droids are being used is killing the ecosystem

randomuser111

Technomancer
So finally we know more about the A6 chip. It's a 1 ghz dual core chip. Performance seems excellent from early benchmarks, similar performance to the Galaxy SIII. Beats the Ipad 3 as well.

I've gotta say, the A6 CPU is not a disappointment though. Far from it. Very very impressed !! Wish they worked this hard on other aspects as well.

First iPhone 5 Benchmark Test Reveals Dual Core 1.02GHz A6 CPU, Faster Than Galaxy S III, iPad 3, Nexus 7 | Redmond Pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom