want to install a cabinet fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolent

Youngling
Can 't be.. From the bottom screw slot to thr top screw slot the minimum distance must be 80 cm.. You sure that you measured from screw to screw ? Please do one more time..

OP
B

Bodhisatwa

Gunner
Measured with a plastic scale now--Frm lowest part of bottm screw port to topmst part of upper screw port. . .--rear Slot is 78mm and side slot is 80mm. . .i think the fan wil fit. .is nt it?

Last edited:

koolent

Youngling
Time to buy the 80mm.. In the mean time get fevi kwik and fevicol ready, you might need to do what I did.. That will not affect performance.. Tell your frienf to get the 80mm one.. :)

koolent

Youngling
I bought an 80mm fan.. When I tried to fit it, damn I couldn't, this was smaller, so I took fevikwik and fevicol and applied it onto the four sides, stuck it to the case and bravo, it stuck in merely 2 mins. It does not effect the performance and sticks like great.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sticking a fan using glue with the cabby is not a very good idea and most of the cabinets have proper holes for mounting a 80mm fan easily - so use 4 screws instead of some glue for safety purpose.

koolent

Youngling
Sticking a fan using glue with the cabby is not a very good idea and most of the cabinets have proper holes for mounting a 80mm fan easily - so use 4 screws instead of some glue for safety purpose.

I am talking about if his fan doesn't fit into the mounts provided.. I am not saying that his fan is bound to not fit, it will fit if his holes are 80mm.. Topgear, you are totally right that it is never recommended to stick the fan to the case but what can be done in this kind of cases..

@OP: First try to set the fans aligned with the screw mounts.. To see if its the correct size.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
from the pics OP has posted I'm sure that a 80mm fan will fit on his cabby and if a fan does not fit for some issue it's better to use zip ties / thin cable ties ( comes with HW components mostly to tie the cables neatly ) to hold the fan firmly with the cabby.

koolent

Youngling
from the pics OP has posted I'm sure that a 80mm fan will fit on his cabby and if a fan does not fit for some issue it's better to use zip ties / thin cable ties ( comes with HW components mostly to tie the cables neatly ) to hold the fan firmly with the cabby.

Yup installing zip ties os a good idea, the reason I didn't do this, it looks a bit messy.. BTW I too think that your measurement is wrong.. It must be 80mm. There is no size lile 76mm..

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
All right. This thread has run its course for a mere 80 mm cabinet fan.

I'm closing it. If the OP has more "definite" questions, start off with a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom