Want to buy External HDD* for my photographs collection

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@kool, go for WD. first of all its service is much better than Seagate. secondly, WD cost 2450-2550 whereas Seagate cost ~2700 (not much difference in price).

only 2 complain with My Passport 500Gb USB3:
1. the bundled cable is only 17" long.
2. the drive have super magnetic properties. it is glossy. picks up fingerprint & also dust. but same is true for goflex i guess, it too is glossy.

nightatthe

Right off the assembly line
Keep backup datas in DVDs, external hard drive and even internal. I have around 120 gb photos and videos. I have 3 copies of dvds, 1 copy on my computer harddisk, 1 on laptop, 1 on another harddisk and 2 copes on another two external harddisks. I have also backed them on 2 differnet websites lol. I lost few very important photos few years back so i am very careful now.

If u have good internet connection please backup them online also.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hi folks, please suggest me, if I can consider buying following HDD, after a lot of Flipkart prices analysis:

Flipkart.com: WD Elements 3.5 inch 1 TB: External Hard Drive

The Analysis: *spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avb5KHSVc5pzdE5Kdkc2RmFjajF5c1I4anhtWUhFZ2c&hl=en_US

As, for the OP's query, Yeah dude.. I also recommend storing Copies of your digital photographs in Multiple backups. And/or Online.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@OP: what is your max budget?
If budget is not a problem then you can go for 1TB HDD for best space utilization & also best value of money.

sukesh1090

Adam young
+1 for WD My Passport Essential SE 500GB (2.5 Inch / USB 3.0) @ Rs 2,525.you are not having usb 3.0 today but you may have it in future.than regretting at that time go with the one which is future proof.

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
I have been facing the same problem. Like me if even you value the photos a lot then trust me you need multiple backups.

Lets face it HDDs crash. Since they alway carry huge amounts of data the blow is also huge.

I always burn DVDs of important Data and have one copy in my PC and another in my 640GB HDD (portable). Usually in some cases, more often than not, I have another set of DVDs and a copy in another lappy of my family member.

I lost a few important videos this way and can never forget the anguish of losing something so important.

ADD: I forgot to mention; I was trying to say that make copies in both DVDs preferably DVD-DL and HDD.

P.S. Me too working with 200GB data at present. Yes, now :)

Ok

Let me remind You those 15% discount coupons doesn't work on COD
m ready to pay in advance.

Keep backup datas in DVDs, external hard drive and even internal. I have around 120 gb photos and videos. I have 3 copies of dvds, 1 copy on my computer harddisk, 1 on laptop, 1 on another harddisk and 2 copes on another two external harddisks. I have also backed them on 2 differnet websites lol. I lost few very important photos few years back so i am very careful now.

If u have good internet connection please backup them online also.

baap re....... itna zyada backup.........

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I wouldnt trust any HDD as a long time storage option, they are bound to go kaput... would trust DVDs even less, but you can make multiple copies
its better to upload them
keep moving the data to newer devices and use each copy as a back-up

A 2Tb desktop ( 3.5 Inch ) is also available for 4K . Just saying .

Forget the portability , It has huge storage and will be done for a year or so :D

pratik385

In the zone
Go for 1-2TB Ext HDD mate, Vicky got a solid deal. 2TB in 3-4k i think.
My funda "1 Small (500gb) and 1 big (1-2 TB)"
I've Seagate Freeagent go 500gb and in near future i'll buy a Go flex 2tb :)

Go for 1-2TB Ext HDD mate, Vicky got a solid deal. 2TB in 3-4k i think.
My funda "1 Small (500gb) and 1 big (1-2 TB)"
I've Seagate Freeagent go 500gb and in near future i'll buy a Go flex 2tb :)

This is what exactly I have . 500 Gb portable is good enough . 2TB for home storage .

Have to do this If you dont have a desktop :(

pratik385

In the zone
Seagate FreeAgent goflex 1TB 2.5 inch with usb3.0 adapter will cost you 4.8K comes with 3 years limited warranty.

Just for reference : Flipkart.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2.5 inch 1 TB: External Hard Drive

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
Guys,
received my HDD today (WD 500 GB USB3), but transferring from PC to HDD is slow. Why??? Speed is upto 20mb/s :( :(

And suggest me some s/w to protect my HDD from virus if i use it on any infected friend's PC/lappy. and also a good password protection apps.

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
u'll get that speeds only with usb 2.0 . for better speeds u need usb 3.0 equipped pc or laptop .....

for password protection , use the wd unlock software bundled with urportable hard drive .. and some portable av for virus protection .

u've made a good choice .. i too use wd. wd essential passport 2.5 usb 3.0 1 TB .
i'm very satisfied with its performance .

its bit glossy ..... but i can live with that :)

very slim and compact too

Top Bottom