Want to be a linux pro - Making the shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
True Linux Pro means.
Very Good C/C++ Skills.
Understanding of Computer Architecture and OS Architecture. Trust me this knowledge rocks.
Able to Write System Calls and develop the Linux kernel. And hence application and system software.

hmm... I'm a Linux n00b then... :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
True Linux Pro means.
Very Good C/C++ Skills.
Understanding of Computer Architecture and OS Architecture. Trust me this knowledge rocks.
Able to Write System Calls and develop the Linux kernel. And hence application and system software.
See, I have always been telling these people that I am a noob, but they never listen. I can't even write big enough shell scripts.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@a_k_s_h_a_y - Agree with you.

@Mehul - Common man, you are really a linux pro. Isme chupane jaisa kya hai :razz:

@all - My HDD upgrade might take a time, as I will be having exams in the coming month. :(
So till then I have decided to use some 15 GB of space from my current 40GB HDD. Can you tell me which distro should I go for? While recommending keep in mind, that I can't allocate more than 15 GB for that OS. I will be having to install apps & all only in the 15GB.

And one more question boggles me - Is SWAP partition really needed when you install the distro? I have heard if you do not allocate SWAP parttition during install, the distro allocates some space in the root directory for the same? IS it true?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
15GB is enough for most distro.

i still remember days when i used to run Ubuntu on a 8GB partition.
I would suggest you to make atleast 512MB of SWAP space.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Arch ! - But it's geekier :(

Try ZenWalk then... ray|raven can guide you...

ah... OpenSuSE 11 is still remaining... :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
nope swap is not necessary but using GIMP can cause the forking fail. So its nice to have swap if your memory is 1 GB or less.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I was thinking of installing Arch, but since I have a GPRS connection for intenet downloading all the packages will be a headache.

I will try Opensuse, but I doubt the installer in Digit DVD is working. Many have reported that the installation gets stuck :(

And I have 768MB RAM, so how much space should I allocate for SWAP? Some say SWAP must be twice the size of ram present so, in my case should SWAP be 1024MB?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I have 1 GB RAM and swap 2.4 GB

Though there is not a single instance where swap filled more than 500MB

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
LOL !! common guys ! you write superior shell scripts that's great !!
i agree, its super cool knowledge !!
but linux is about participation !!! development !!! isn't that's what Open Source, The concept of My Software, FOSS all about ??
i meant here we are talking about being a Linux Guru. Which of course takes years.

btw am not at all interested at all in it. am happy being only a user......!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
LOL !! common guys ! you write superior shell scripts that's great !!
i agree, its super cool knowledge !!
It helps a lot when you run servers and stuff. Even though I use linux on my home PC, I run a lot of servers and web apps locally. I could automate so much stuff if I learn script, atleast shell scripting + python/perl. But, these things never interest me, prolly am too lazy for it. :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I am writing a script for automating package download,install & updates for Arch Linux.
As, its a pain to wake till 2am in morning and install these things manually.

And, using Archlinux is easy, even i can use it. then surely you can.
its no way greeky:p

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
It helps a lot when you run servers and stuff. Even though I use linux on my home PC, I run a lot of servers and web apps locally. I could automate so much stuff if I learn script, atleast shell scripting + python/perl. But, these things never interest me, prolly am too lazy for it. :(
lie... lie... die....die.... :p

mediator

Technomancer
akshay said:
i meant here we are talking about being a Linux Guru. Which of course takes years.
No, its like riding a car/bike. Different people have different flavours & therefore like different bikes. The more u play with it performing skids, 360s, wheelies the more u understand n become comfortable with it.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Guys, I downloaded Arch FTP from torrent today.
Can you guide me to install it?

Which are the other thing I will need to get it working? I mean the most essential things to get a working desktop complete with GUI.

And also if possible try to mention the appropriate size of things I will need to download.

Rahim

Married!
FIrst thing to do is head over here Beginners Guide and it for pro-users and do-it-yourself type of distro. Not want to discourage you but it requires a ot of editing and above all Patience. But once installed and configured, you wont jump to any other distro. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom