Want to be a linux pro - Making the shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I removed Windows, coz I wanted to get the feel of using Linux whole time.
But I didn't missed windows till now.

Now I too support "The Future is Open" :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You moved too fast, not a very good idea, removing windows at the outset.
Why not? I removed windows when I moved to slackware, never missed it ever since, not a bit. Just tried Vista once in the enthusiasm of playing games when I bought my new graphics card and Vista Beta or something was available free of cost then from the net for limited time trial.

Rahim

Married!
^You are a geek :D and yes if you are one then you wont miss Windows!!!
I dual boot Arch and openSUSE.

CadCrazy

in search of myself

I have CBT Nuggets Linux Video Tutorials although lil bit outdated. If you want pm me.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

yep I have XP on one partition but its been over a month since I booted it *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/77.png

May be when I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R, I will boot it.

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
I am using linux since about march. Rarely I boot into windows XP. Just to play games.
NO idea to shift to Vista.
Best in linux is the idea to use many things the way you want, like I did for transferring the swap partiton to a Pen-drive, This help a lot to reduce wear and tear of my old hard-drive.
Now I can use swap on pen-drive when it is inserted and when removed, swap partititon on hard-disk is used.

The best is GPRS using wvdial, though i dont need it as i'm using broadband.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I have a sad news guys :(
Had to remove Fedora 9 and reinstall Windows XP.
Reason - My sis needed Xp when I could not be present at home. She knows nothing about Linux. :(

I am not going to let this incident dampen my mission to be a pro. Now I am thinking of getting a new HDD(Preferably 320GB) as my current one(40GB) makes it quite difficult to keep both Linux & Windows. Till then the mission is on a hold.

Have any other suggestion guys?

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Abe virtual box mein sab chalta hai. You can install Windows on top of linux or vice versa with it.

Now choice is yours :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I have a sad news guys :(
Had to remove Fedora 9 and reinstall Windows XP.
Reason - My sis needed Xp when I could not be present at home. She knows nothing about Linux. :(
What does she need in XP? If it's some simple stuff that can be done on linux, you could persuade her to do it. My sister needs her computer for college work, like presentations, word processor, browsing internet, chatting, listening to music. She is able to do all this stuff on her own, after I installed ubuntu and all the requisite software on her PC.

I am not going to let this incident dampen my mission to be a pro. Now I am thinking of getting a new HDD(Preferably 320GB) as my current one(40GB) makes it quite difficult to keep both Linux & Windows. Till then the mission is on a hold.

Have any other suggestion guys?
Virtualisation is a better suggestion if you have a decent config. What's your hardware like. I don't virtualise windows but I do have ubuntu, opensuse and gentoo on VirtualBox, I can run two of them pretty easily at a time and I just have a P4 2.0GHz proccy with 1.5Gigs of RAM. So, if you have anything better than 2.4GHz proccy with >512MB of RAM, I'd suggest virtualisation, while running a lightweight windows manager on the host machine.
Another way is wine, if your application is windows specific but works nicely on wine.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
well, you can guide her once.
after than, she could do basic tasks on her on, tell her about advantages of Linux;)
no threat of virus and all that stuff.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
The problem is that I use my mobile as a modem to connect to internet on pc. So it becomes impossible for my sis to connect to internet in Linux. She does not know the commands to be entered. Also she insisists on Microsoft office, doesn't like OpenOffice.org :( So she wants Xp to be installed on the pc.

Then come the problem, my pc only has a 40GB HDD, so dual booting very cumbersome. I think some 40GB more and that would have been good. So I decided to invest in a HDD(The plans of getting a new HDD aren't finalised yet). So to purchase a new HDD, I decided to go for SATA as my mobo has SATA port. Also I guess 320 GB offers best value for money when compared with 160 GB? What say guys?

And regarding your suggestion of virtualisation, I don't think my pc is powerful enough to do it. The specs are P4 2.0Ghz,768MB DDR RAM,Zebronics 7300GT 512 MB.

Also everytime she want XP, I will have to virtualise it, so again waste of time doing it. :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
The problem is that I use my mobile as a modem to connect to internet on pc. So it becomes impossible for my sis to connect to internet in Linux. She does not know the commands to be entered. Also she insisists on Microsoft office, doesn't like OpenOffice.org :( So she wants Xp to be installed on the pc.
for the commands, you can make launchers on the panel.
Just click to connect & click to disconnect. even Ms office can be installed via wine. *appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

Then come the problem, my pc only has a 40GB HDD, so dual booting very cumbersome. I think some 40GB more and that would have been good. So I decided to invest in a HDD(The plans of getting a new HDD aren't finalised yet). So to purchase a new HDD, I decided to go for SATA as my mobo has SATA port. Also I guess 320 GB offers best value for money when compared with 160 GB? What say guys?
True, dual booting is a problem due to lack of space.
I would suggest getting a WD 640GB drive @ 3600/-

And regarding your suggestion of virtualisation, I don't think my pc is powerful enough to do it. The specs are P4 2.0Ghz,768MB DDR RAM,Zebronics 7300GT 512 MB.
virtualisation would work, but you need a minimalistic DE like FLuxfox

Also everytime she want XP, I will have to virtualise it, so again waste of time doing it. :(
I think she is too much used to XP, anyways she does not want don't force it.
My dad also uses Linux for email,spreadsheets sheets,broswer etc.
he doesn't bother about what software is used. its just that tasks need to done.

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
To be Linux Pro.
You should first of all study command line in depth. Learn all features, learn all mods, be a master for any how to do questions.
That's the usage part though.

True Linux Pro means.
Very Good C/C++ Skills.
Understanding of Computer Architecture and OS Architecture. Trust me this knowledge rocks.
Able to Write System Calls and develop the Linux kernel. And hence application and system software.

A good combination of both is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom