Using Internet without Antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@ ico
can't I install two OS and work on them simultaneously. There is no solution for that? You know I play online through hamachi with my close friends. can't it happen that say right now I am using windows and playing game and something is being downloading through torrent in ubuntu.
You can use VirtualBox like I mentioned. Use the OS installed in VirtualBox/VMWare for browsing.

*www.technibble.com/articlecontent/2007/06/virtual-machine-xp.jpg

Having good amount of RAM is recommended.

Also I heard that ubuntu have some problems with NTFS file system. If I write on NTFS drives through ubuntu then data might get corrupted or will it harm my ntfs drives?
It is not the case. I've encountered no problems with my external hard disk which is formatted with NTFS. Infact Ubuntu reads/writes on NTFS faster than Windows as far as my experience is concerned.

pauldmps

Banned
Isn't it best to install an antivirus & use your PC normally than wasting your time & energy in such workarounds ?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials AV & it has one of the best detection rates & does not cause any noticeable difference in performance on my 5yr old PC.

I too visit legitimate sites but I have been infected from them too. Last time I reported that HindustanTimes.com site is spreading malware. It seems that the ads on that site use Java exploits to download & run malicious files on the PC. MSE immediately detected & cleaned the PC.

So visiting only legitimate site doesn't mean that you won't be affected with malware since most webpages contain content from other websites too.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
now note that you can run virtually any unknown or suspicious programs or softwares in sandbox,(via the right click context menu)

Hmmm.. Quite useful and Handy thing is this Sandboxie. So, I installed it and tried running. Runs various programs perfectly.
So sandboxie provides virtual environment to a single process and is better than Virtual machine, since there is no need to run Entire OS just for the fear of a single malicious program :)

But everytime I ran any browser in the sandboxie, I encountered following message, "SBIE2102 File is too large to copy into sandbox: index.dat"
Upon further research, I came to a conclusion that I should increase the "File Migration Limit". And now there is no error, when I increased the size to 100 MB.

Thanks funkysourav. This is going to be useful.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
@ pauldmps
Brother who wants all these hassles. But the problem is that I use power iso and anti virus deletes the executable of this software. I use C to create my project which are exe files and anti virus deleted them without any warning and I had to make my project again. The worst part is that when I configure it to ask me everytime then there was no option to ignore. You know what I reinstalled my OS and when I scheduled boot time scan it found 5 virus in C drive now how the hell my pc got infected when I didn't installed anything except my goddamn drivers. These are the reasons why I started this thread.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
@ pauldmps
Brother who wants all these hassles. But the problem is that I use power iso and anti virus deletes the executable of this software. I use C to create my project which are exe files and anti virus deleted them without any warning and I had to make my project again. The worst part is that when I configure it to ask me everytime then there was no option to ignore. You know what I reinstalled my OS and when I scheduled boot time scan it found 5 virus in C drive now how the hell my pc got infected when I didn't installed anything except my goddamn drivers. These are the reasons why I started this thread.

yes my elder brother was having the same problems
the exe files from c are removed(quarantined)
which antivirus are you using?
Check the quarantine list and if possible Flag them as safe (whitelisting)
I use Avira, it asks me everytime it detects a suspicious file, i can set it it to ignore there depending on the file

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
thetechfreak said:
I had virus in my audio drivers.
Same Here.
funkysaurav said:
which antivirus are you using?
Avast.
funkysaurav said:
I use Avira, it asks me everytime it detects a suspicious file, i can set it it to ignore there depending on the file
Really Avira has that option??? How much Ram it uses because I use Avast because it don't requires a lot of resources.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
One more thing. Virus is just a "file", and I can have many such virus "files" in one folder, on a disk, or a pen drive. That WONT make my system infected. It is only when a virus is executed (i.e, by double clicking, or through command prompt), that my system would be infected by the virus.
Ya one of my frnd had the library of viruses zipped in one folder.

Once I got infected from yahoo.

@gameranand: games can have viruses too such as pirated copy or Ripped etc.
By not having an anti-virus means u r acting like an antiviruse keeping a eye on each & every execution.:mrgreen:

pauldmps

Banned
@gameranand

Avast is such a crappy AV. I once installed Avast & it disabled my broadband connection permanently (some idiotic network filter). I had to clean install my OS.

As I suggested, use MSE, the most powerful & non-intrusive AV which has almost no false positives.

And still if the AV detects your files as threats(MSE doesn't removes any threat by itself), then add those folders/files to excluded locations.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
But the problem is that I use power iso and anti virus deletes the executable of this software.

i guess you used a patch or a cracked version.

I use C to create my project which are exe files and anti virus deleted them without any warning and I had to make my project again.

was testing DosBox in mobile & created a basic program. Emsisoft Antimalware detected it as Win32.Shutdowner (WTH :shock:).

use avast & select the default action as Move to Chest.

I had virus in my audio drivers.

Solution-
install antivirus before installation then remove.

virus in Audio driver? WOW. yesterday Avira (was just testing it) detected Frostwire installer as some Candy trojan.

How much Ram it uses because I use Avast because it don't requires a lot of resources.

when you game, turn Avast sheilds off. or just turn off the unnecessary shields.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Ya one of my frnd had the library of viruses zipped in one folder.

i have a small question: can virus infect compressed files like .rar?

@gameranand

Avast is such a crappy AV. I once installed Avast & it disabled my broadband connection permanently (some idiotic network filter). I had to clean install my OS.

happened to me 3days ago. when updating Avast from 5 IS to 6 Free.

As I suggested, use MSE, the most powerful & non-intrusive AV which has almost no false positives.

slow scanning speed but good detection.

i use avast for its web shields. but sadly its Trojan detection capability is one of the lowest in the market. Avast is truly an Antivirus only. it antispyware module is useless.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Friends I want to use Internet on windows 7 but I don't want to use antivirus. Yes I do not want to use antivirus because it causes me more bad than good. So what are your opinion can I use net without antivirus and the most important thing without getting infected ?? If yes what are the precautions I should take for this??? Please help.
Is Windows the only option as an OS for you?
EDIT: Ah your nick, gaming :)

Anyway how about using On Demand Scanners rather than always on AV software?

i have a small question: can virus infect compressed files like .rar?
Why not? It's an executable, it has all the permissions with the privileges it has been executed.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Use ubuntu for internet. Or use Avira in Windows.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

@gameranand:
By not having an anti-virus means u r acting like an antiviruse keeping a eye on each & every execution.:mrgreen:

lol...look did I just see something move :mrgreen:

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

WOW. yesterday Avira (was just testing it) detected Frostwire installer as some Candy trojan.

False alarm.

no it is not
it is as prone as windows is
i think what ICO meant was
keeping your browsing limited to a different environment away from your primary OS
that way if Ubuntu gets infected, your primary OS is still safe

:facepalm::facepalm:

now this is juvenile,
IQ has nothing to do with safety
awareness and prevention does
IQ is the overall term for "safety" "awareness" "prevention" etc etc.

Last edited:

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Why not? It's an executable, it has all the permissions with the privileges it has been executed.
are you sure dude ? rar is not an executable afaik . even if a virus is injected into a rar file, it won't be executed. in fact winrar won't be able to open it because then the archive will become corrupt!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
lol...look did I just see something move :mrgreen:

:rofl: :doogone:

Hmmm, where is the facepalm smiley?
@admins: please install a facepalm smiley in TDF.
:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: (double)

are you sure dude ? rar is not an executable afaik . even if a virus is injected into a rar file, it won't be executed. in fact winrar won't be able to open it because then the archive will become corrupt!

Sure dude, winrar would be able to open it, even if there is an infected file inside.
As far as, the file INSIDE is not executed, corruption wont spread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom