Using Internet without Antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Sorry...

"My friend even trusted sites spread virus which they don't even know themselves.",

I misread above line as, "My friends, trust website, that they don't spread virus, even when they don't know any thing about them" :oops:

But to your original quote, yes, :+1:

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

1 in 5 posts in facebook contain malware.

:shock: Is that possible! How a post can contain a malware?
I think, you meant, one in 5 posts in facebook, directs to a site containing malware. Were u?

abhidev

Human Spambot
Same thing happened...even all my exe files were eaten up by the virus except for one the "Commandos" game exe....guess they kicked the bu$$ of the virus.....hehhehee....lolz

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
KaranTh85 said:
Henceforth,Keep all the essential files in archived(rar) or ISO format.& live happily ever after
I did the same thing. Once I got infected I store every game setup in ISO format and all other softwares in .7z format.

Vineet369 said:
I misread above line as, "My friends, trust website, that they don't spread virus, even when they don't know any thing about them"
No need to apologize. I know that my language is kind of crappy many misunderstood me. I am still trying to improve that. LOL :):p

thefreakfreak said:
I think, you meant, one in 5 posts in facebook, directs to a site containing malware. Were u?
Yeah I am also kinda confused about this. Well I am not user of facebook but still knowledge in not going to harm me eh.

Lord073

Journeyman
What do you guys think of ZoneAlarm firewall? I'm currently using it. Is Comodo any better than that?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
What do you guys think of ZoneAlarm firewall? I'm currently using it. Is Comodo any better than that?
yes Comodo is better
or if you are comfortable with Zonealarm there is no need to change
just check your setup from "Shield's up" port checker

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
LOL.. this thread started from, "Using Internet without Anti-virus.." and it changed to "Best Antivirus for a PC running Internet" :-D

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
now as the userbase would shift towards linux, so would the number of malware and detected vulnerabilities
you should know the fact how much Linux dominates the server scenes and still the vulnerabilities in Linux is dwarfed by the vulnerabilities of Windows Server OS.
I wont claim Linux or Mac OS X is completely secure, that will be naive to think, however since they are *nix, they are designed with security from the ground up rather than as an afterthought as in Windows OS.
Secondly people claiming people needing AVs in Linux/Mac OS X are completely wrong. AVs are designed to prevent malware attack which have already been discovered and those software remove/quarantine them as they can check their signature, and that's why AVs never work if a new malware hits in the internet. The number of malware in *nix OSes are small enough and all vulnerabilities patched quickly due to OSS nature which means you won't need an AV, and even if you run an AV that wouldn't guarantee if a new malware hits the ground. You are better of using bit of brain and not run random scripts/DEBs/RPMs without verification. The weakest security link in *nix is the user himself.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

And oh anyone who thinks that AV "protects" their OSes is really misinformed.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
LOL.. this thread started from, "Using Internet without Anti-virus.." and it changed to "Best Antivirus for a PC running Internet"
Because you cannot run OS without antivirus when you are using net unless you are using Linux. I don't use antivirus when I used to be offline. But now 2 days and boosh reinstall OS blah blah. Maybe because I download a lot from many sites and I like to explore internet myself.
Liverpool_fan said:
And oh anyone who thinks that AV "protects" their OSes is really misinformed.
Agreed but only if you are one of those unlucky guys who gets attacked by that malware on their release date because under 24 hours antivirus updates itself thus securing against that threat.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ Well, I use my windows 7 pc, and do everything including, downloading, playing (casual) online games, visiting random sites.... all of this without an Antivirus from many months now... :Fingerx:

Maybe I am talking a big chance. But lets see, for how long I can go without an Antivirus. It's like a little experiment, for the benefit of mankind... :brainiac:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom