Urgent : Components Upgrade!!

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hi guys sorry if already such a thread exists!I aint aware of it!!
K then coming bk to my problem at hand..I hv an Athlon X2 4400+ CPU, Asus M2NMX SE Motherboard,2GB Zion DDR2 800MHz RAM.1TB Seagate n 500GB Seagate HDD,ATI Radeon HD 4650 IGB,LG 20" Monitor,some intex(a.k.a el cheapo) 450W PSU n APC 550 UPS.
The heat sink n fan of CPU is attached to the MoBo(Motherboard) by use of a clamp which is hinged on a protrusion that comes outta the base.That protrusion chipped off of a few days ago.Also my PSU went kaput a few hours bk.
Since my CPU heats up considerably I'm thinking of going for a new rig(Procc+MoBo+PSU).I have decided on a few too :
Procc - AMD Athlon II X4 635/630(depends on availability) OR AMD Phenom II X4 955 B.E(945 will also do)
Motherboard - Asus M4N68M OR MSI GF615M-P33 OR Biostar A780L3
Dunno wat wud be a good PSU.
Earlier I hadn't taken the PSU cost in my budget but now that it went kaboom gotta include that too.I can spend 15Gs tops.The MSI n Biostar MoBo I'm looking for supports 800/1066/1333 memory n AM3 socket.I dunno whether the 2 processor I've chosen will run on my DDR2 800Mhz memory.So can anyone plz temme whether it'll or not?Coz not going for DDR3 1333 will save me 2.6K.Also I have no idea about a good PSU so can anyone plz suggest one?
Sorry if its a long post!

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
You'll have to get a new mobo to run your X4 635 and you'd better get one. Gigabyte GA MA785GMT US2H @ 4.2k would be my suggestion. 2 GB RAM would cost around 2.5k. For a PSU, you can get FSP Saga II 500w @ ~2.5k or Corsair VX 450w @ ~3.6k (better option). I think all this should be in your budget. You can get some money by selling your old DDR2 sticks

Phenom II X4 955 is a good processor, but not as much vfm as Athlon II X4 635 unless you are planning to oc it. 955 is a black edition prccy which OCs well. default core clock is 3.2Ghz which can be easily overclocked to upto 3.6 Ghz. 3.5 Ghz should be very safe.
However, this option may not fit in your budget as it cost over 8.5k.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
hey man thanks for replying!!Jus came bk from a couple of shops enquirying abt the availability n costs of the components!!I stay in Bhubaneswar,Orissa n here they dun hv Gigabyte MoBo(can u beleive that??)even the MSI MoBo I'm looking for aint available..some 8K one of MSI is available.Thanks for ur opinion man!!Ummm..how should I say this..umm..I'm kinda embarassed to ask dad for the cash to buy the components so I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible thats y I was thinking of using my old RAM modules(but I'll definitely buy DDR3 1333 after a few months by saving some cash) so that I dun hv to ask dad for so much.Anyways do u know any MoBo which can support AM3 n run on DDR2 800MHz for now?
But really really thanks for ur reply coz so far no one had replied to my queries I've posted in other threads too!!

Cilus

laborare est orare
hey man thanks for replying!!Jus came bk from a couple of shops enquirying abt the availability n costs of the components!!I stay in Bhubaneswar,Orissa n here they dun hv Gigabyte MoBo(can u beleive that??)even the MSI MoBo I'm looking for aint available..some 8K one of MSI is available.Thanks for ur opinion man!!Ummm..how should I say this..umm..I'm kinda embarassed to ask dad for the cash to buy the components so I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible thats y I was thinking of using my old RAM modules(but I'll definitely buy DDR3 1333 after a few months by saving some cash) so that I dun hv to ask dad for so much.Anyways do u know any MoBo which can support AM3 n run on DDR2 800MHz for now?
But really really thanks for ur reply coz so far no one had replied to my queries I've posted in other threads too!!

It is your bad luck that you are in BBSR.:smile: Here only ASUS mobos are available for AMD and price of DDR3 ram is sky high. You have to get it from Kolkata. For my job, I stay in BBSR, but I have to purchase every single component from Kolkata .

And regarding your new processor and motherboard query, my suggestion will be little different. AMD and Intel are going to release their next Gen processors in the end of 2010, so don't spend too much money to get a whole new rig now. Just get a AM2+ mobo within 4k and plug your old CPU+CPU fan + Ram and other components to it.

My suggestion for the mobo will be BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AMD 785G @ 3.45k. It is a very good DDR2 based mobo which supports all the features of new Athlon II/Phenom II processors along with your current processor and ram.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Get ASUS M2N68 am plus mobo
I have this mobo. wouldn't really recommend it ... has only 1 pci slot , 2 sata slots and the front panel connectors are placed wayy to the left making the wire stretch tight.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
It is your bad luck that you are in BBSR.:smile: Here only ASUS mobos are available for AMD and price of DDR3 ram is sky high. You have to get it from Kolkata. For my job, I stay in BBSR, but I have to purchase every single component from Kolkata .

And regarding your new processor and motherboard query, my suggestion will be little different. AMD and Intel are going to release their next Gen processors in the end of 2010, so don't spend too much money to get a whole new rig now. Just get a AM2+ mobo within 4k and plug your old CPU+CPU fan + Ram and other components to it.

My suggestion for the mobo will be BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AMD 785G @ 3.45k. It is a very good DDR2 based mobo which supports all the features of new Athlon II/Phenom II processors along with your current processor and ram.
Hey thanks Cilus for ur suggestion.Wow!!U stay in BBSR too.:)..Nice to c some1 in d forum from my city.How do u buy hardwares from Kolkotta?Do u order it online?n WOW!!!next gen of procc by the end of this yr!!:D..Where dija read it or come to know of it?

Get ASUS M2N68 am plus mobo (2.2k) will suit your budget.
hey thanks for ur suggestion!!At my place only ASUS M4N68M is available n some other too but not the 1 u suggested!Anyways I found Biostar MCP6P3 at 1 shop for 2.7k.I liked the MoBo.If any1 hs ever used Biostar MoBo can u plz temme how is it?n how is their after sales service?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@everyone, does this CPU retention bracket coming off/breaking thing occurs only for Asus or some other brand too? this is the third case in around 2-3months i came across this strange problem. First someone from Kolkata (forgotten name), than Azzu & finally OP. every one used Asus & end up with a broken or loose retention bracket. Asus demands a lot for their boards but quality is more bad than Mercury/Zebronics boards.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
this m2nmx se is a bad board. I can't believe that I'm stuck with this board even though I never bought it. Don't buy it, bad board, bad quality.
I was at Rashi peripherals giving my Logitech mouse for RMA, I was surprised by the number of people that came there with ASUS motherboards. Every 2 out of 3 people was there to deposit an ASUS mobo. I'd say better stay away.

As far as your current problem is concerned, yes it is hard to ask for cash when something like this (PSU gone kaput etc.) happens all of a sudden. 12-15k does matter a lot. It is much better if we get time to plan. If you want a new rig and want it cheap, you could get it from Kolkata through some friend/relative or if you come on a visit some time. I don't think there are any Kolkata based online stores so far. And if the budget really matters, then don't hurry things up. Take some time, think and then make a decision

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
@everyone, does this CPU retention bracket coming off/breaking thing occurs only for Asus or some other brand too? this is the third case in around 2-3months i came across this strange problem. First someone from Kolkata (forgotten name), than Azzu & finally OP. every one used Asus & end up with a broken or loose retention bracket. Asus demands a lot for their boards but quality is more bad than Mercury/Zebronics boards.
Ya I know, Sam, Asus being such a renowned brand and charging so much for their MoBo shouldn't give crappy-ass products!!I had bought my system 3 yrs bk.The retailer told me it was the best VFM MoBo at tht time and is way better than Biostar,MSI,Gigabyte(which were atleast 600-800 bucks cheaper bk then) so I went for it.But u guys can say I did use it roughly,I mean I used to keep it on 24x7 for the past 4-5 months when I got my net connection.So does that thing matter(keeping it on for such a long duration)?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
You should have a good power supply and decent cooling in the cabinet if you are running your PC 24x7. In your case, PSU was a local one. So might hae caused the problem, can't say.
If you plan to run the PC 24x7, get a good cabinet with a well planned airflow and keep it in a place which doesn't get too heated up (preferably not in a corner or a closed cabinet).
Get a 2.5" HDD if budget permits, they run real cool. otherwise get WD Green or Samsung EcoGreen (if you do get an HDD). Switch off the PC for 6-8 hours once every week.

If you are planning to run the PC that way, I'd suggest you get Corsair CX400 which is very efficient and good PSU, will be a better choice than FSP Saga PSUs. You can pull upto 420-430w easily from this PSU, so no need to worry about that low wattage.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
You'll have to get a new mobo to run your X4 635 and you'd better get one. Gigabyte GA MA785GMT US2H @ 4.2k would be my suggestion. 2 GB RAM would cost around 2.5k. For a PSU, you can get FSP Saga II 500w @ ~2.5k or Corsair VX 450w @ ~3.6k (better option). I think all this should be in your budget. You can get some money by selling your old DDR2 sticks

Phenom II X4 955 is a good processor, but not as much vfm as Athlon II X4 635 unless you are planning to oc it. 955 is a black edition prccy which OCs well. default core clock is 3.2Ghz which can be easily overclocked to upto 3.6 Ghz. 3.5 Ghz should be very safe.
However, this option may not fit in your budget as it cost over 8.5k.

Both 635 & 955 have heavy oc potential & good vfm.
955 is available for rs. 8200 online which can go down to 7.8-7.9 k on bargaining with local hardwarers.
As for the next gen cpu series, waiting is a good option too (cannot say for those intel-ligent people who come out with new socket for every new release.)
:)
I'd suggest an DDR3 upgrade because i dont think DDR2 is going to survive long. And there are many people out there ready to buy 2nd hand ram sticks due to consistant increase in memory prices..
Dont we get retention bracket with aftermarket HSF?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
@toad_frog09 : Oh boy!! the cost of the processors r really cheap wherever u stay!!At my place Phenom II X4 955 is for 9.5Gs.Though there is 1 shop where I could find Phenom II X4 925 for 7.4Gs.Nice pun BTW:D..intel-ligent..:D..LMAO!!can't stop laughing!Oh n abt the retention bracket thing..couldn't find any alternatives at my place(I know!this place is a drag!!:(..)

@Cool Buddy : U wont believe pal that none of the shops at my place I inquired(n I must hv gone to atleast 15 shops)hv Cooler Master,Corsiar,FSP PSUs..They only hv Intex,iBall n Zebronics!!!They don't even hv Cooler Master!!!Had I been paying for all the stuff I wud hv ordered online but since its my dad who is gonna shell out all tht cash he doesn't wanna order online.Which 1 should I go for amongst the lot?One store hs Zebronics 600W n iBall 500/550W.I aint even thinking of going for Intex!!

Last edited:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
None, please, none of them is worth it. buy whichever processor and whichever mobo and whichever RAM, but order PSU online. coz proccy mobo do not differ much in performance and quality, but PSU differ a lot. order it from primeabgb or smcinternational or lynx-india, it would be a better option, much better. Can't you get it from Kolkata.
Ask Cilus if he can help you get things from kolkata. He's a good guy, might help you if it's possible for him.

Gollum

Collector
Since you already ordered the mobo. Make sure the person who assembles the comp uses all the screws provided with the cabinet for the mother board. You must get all the three case fans with fantasy. If even one fan is missing then do not buy it. Some retailers remove the fans

Top Bottom