UPS or PSU problem?

saswat23

Human Spambot
I was using FSP SAGA-II 500 with Zebronics 600VA UPS. It was working fine. As battery of the UPS had been weak, so I replaced it with a new EXIDE battery and it worked fine.
Then I RMA'd my PSU. As the RMA would have taken longer so I used an Intex PSU till I got my replacement. The Intex PSU was also working fine with the UPS. Then FSP gave me a 700W PSU in replacement.

Now the thing is summer has started, so have the power cuts. And my UPS is unable to give backup even for a minute when I am playing game: CS Source or any other. As power goes off, the UPS makes cont. sound and shuts down withing 15sec. But if I connect only the monitor the UPS gives backup for 10-15mins easily. Even it gives backup if I dont game, say I am making a presentation or any such thing.
When asked, Zeb says its the fault of the battery and EXIDE says its either overload or UPS' fault. EXIDE ran a 200W bulb and it gave backup absolutely fine. When they ran the 2nd bulb the UPS shuts down as it happens with me.

Can anyone explain me what's the problem exactly? How can it be overload? I am running my PC w/o any GPU. So, max power consumption shouldn't be anything more than 150W-200W.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
wait ! the battery should give backup of 300-350W at-least ( though for a minute or two ) .. so tell the exide guys to test with a 200W and 100W buld instead of 2x 200W bulbs. Also make sure your PSu is not comsuming lots of power due to lower efficiency as some PSU's efficiency drops with increased heat.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
EXIDE guys will send the battery for testing on Monday. It will take a day and I will get a new replacement only if the battery is weak. Else the same battery will be returned. So, they have denied to check the battery any further. They even dont have device to check the battery except for the two 200W bulbs.

About the PSU, its stated to be a 80+ certified one. In some reveiws I read its efficiency is almost that of a 80+ bronze.
So, is there anyway to check where the fault actually lies??

UPDATE:
Guys, I used Intex UPS of my cousin with my rig and it just worked fine. Even while playing CS Source, I switched off the mains and the UPS gave good backup. Also my Zebronics UPS ran well with her rig and gave good backup too.
Actually both: my rig and mah cousin's rig are the same. The only difference is that I use a 700W PSU with a Zeb. UPS and hers uses a Zeb. 450W PSU with Intex UPS.
But my UPS still continues with the problem.

Now can anybody please explain what the problem actually is?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
My APC ups was not giving backup, first it gave 20mins but now 5 mins

Today when APC service man came to my house, opened up the ups, he took out a multimeter and connected computer to ups and the multimeter to battery and noted voltage reading.
First it was at 12.6V for 5 mins and thenfalled down To 11...10...9.5...9v And pc shutdowned
He said bad battery but I bought the ups 1 month ago only!!!
Just posted to tell you how to test ups battery

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
EXIDE guys will send the battery for testing on Monday. It will take a day and I will get a new replacement only if the battery is weak. Else the same battery will be returned. So, they have denied to check the battery any further. They even dont have device to check the battery except for the two 200W bulbs.

About the PSU, its stated to be a 80+ certified one. In some reveiws I read its efficiency is almost that of a 80+ bronze.

UPDATE:
Guys, I used Intex UPS of my cousin with my rig and it just worked fine. Even while playing CS Source, I switched off the mains and the UPS gave good backup. Also my Zebronics UPS ran well with her rig and gave good backup too.
Actually both: my rig and mah cousin's rig are the same. The only difference is that I use a 700W PSU with a Zeb. UPS and hers uses a Zeb. 450W PSU with Intex UPS.

both UPS are fine and the PSUs are too but your new FSP PSU needs to be connected with a Pure Sine Wave UPS which costs more than a normal Stepped Wave UPS.

UPDATE:

rating of the intex psu has to be higher than your zeb one pretty sure on that

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
^^
Both Zeb. and Intex are 600VA UPS.

both UPS are fine and the PSUs are too but your new FSP PSU needs to be connected with a Pure Sine Wave UPS which costs more than a normal Stepped Wave UPS.

Why so? And how much will one cost?
Does Pure Sine wave UPS refer to those which are used as Inverters??

My APC ups was not giving backup, first it gave 20mins but now 5 mins

Today when APC service man came to my house, opened up the ups, he took out a multimeter and connected computer to ups and the multimeter to battery and noted voltage reading.
First it was at 12.6V for 5 mins and thenfalled down To 11...10...9.5...9v And pc shutdowned
He said bad battery but I bought the ups 1 month ago only!!!
Just posted to tell you how to test ups battery

k, will ask EXIDE guys to check this way.
And did APC replace your battery/UPS??

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
^
k, do update me on monday.

k, got what Sine Wave UPS is.
And actually what you have said is right.
I am using this UPS: *www.zebronics.com/products/ups/zebu700
and this is the Intex UPS I tested with: *intextechnologies.com/webpages/pro...omputer Peripherals&subcat=UPS&subcat1=600 VA

The Intex one is a Modified Sine wave UPS, so my rig worked. I think mine is not a sine wave UPS that's why I am facing this problem.

So, I will have to buy a new Sine Wave UPS. Should I go for a 600VA or a 800VA?.
And what's the difference between Modified Sine Wave and Simulated Sine Wave?
600VA Intex is modified Sine Wave but its 800VA and 1KVA are Simulated Sine Wave UPS.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Modified sine wave/ stimulated sine wave/ stepped approximation to a sine wave / pseudo sine wave are all same...
Pure sine wave is clean like the electricity quality just like the original grid/ electricity board's power supply

And neither of the brands zebronics or Intex or iball are good, including microtek(experienced) since they are of cheap quality(I even opened up saw the cheap construction and cheap local components)...

I suspect the battery, cause also for my UMAX double battery(crap)( selled off by weighing, two months back) I replaced with 2 exide batteries and in just 2 months it completely failed and I got a replacement too!

Corsair recommends to use only a pure sine wave ups but my corsair cx430v2 does work nicely with my stepped sine wave ups

Why don't you try swapping the ups batteries with your cousin?
Because it might even be ups's motherboard problem

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read somewhere that it's not recommended to use Modified sine wave/ stimulated sine wave/ stepped sine wave UPS with PSUs which needs pure sine wave as these may cause psu over heating and shortening of internal componenets but if one wants to use then it should be used only for shutdown the system safely.

Here's the Pure sine wave PSU ;-)
*www.apc.com/products/family/?id=165

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Modified sine wave/ stimulated sine wave/ stepped approximation to a sine wave / pseudo sine wave are all same...
Pure sine wave is clean like the electricity quality just like the original grid/ electricity board's power supply

And neither of the brands zebronics or Intex or iball are good, including microtek(experienced) since they are of cheap quality(I even opened up saw the cheap construction and cheap local components)...

I suspect the battery, cause also for my UMAX double battery(crap)( selled off by weighing, two months back) I replaced with 2 exide batteries and in just 2 months it completely failed and I got a replacement too!

Corsair recommends to use only a pure sine wave ups but my corsair cx430v2 does work nicely with my stepped sine wave ups

Why don't you try swapping the ups batteries with your cousin?
Because it might even be ups's motherboard problem

Swapping the batteries is not possible as the Intex one is still in warranty.
Also if it had been UPS's motherboard problem then it wouldnot even have worked on my cousin's rig. But it did. So, I think its the o/p waveform problem only. Also I had taken the UPS to zeb., they checked and said UPS is fine and if its not giving backup then its the battery problem.

I was going through Zebronics UPS' user manual. In the first lin its written:
'We thank you for selecting LUMINOUS ULTRA UPS and welcome you to the family of LUMINOUS users.' I think zeb. UPS are made by Luminous. So, are they not good options?

I've read somewhere that it's not recommended to use Modified sine wave/ stimulated sine wave/ stepped sine wave UPS with PSUs which needs pure sine wave as these may cause psu over heating and shortening of internal componenets but if one wants to use then it should be used only for shutdown the system safely.

Here's the Pure sine wave PSU ;-)
*www.apc.com/products/family/?id=165

When we have limited hardware models and brands available, I dont think this model would be available here. Moreover it would cost more than I expect. The 500VA model must be costing around 4k or so.
I also read that these modifed Sine Wave UPS are not recommended but I dont think most users are using pure Sine Wave UPS.
And I need an UPS to shutdown my system safely. 5 mins enough for backup. So, wont these modified Sine wave UPS do the work?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
=
When we have limited hardware models and brands available, I dont think this model would be available here. Moreover it would cost more than I expect. The 500VA model must be costing around 4k or so.
Pure sine wave isn't a word manufactures have to use, some use it, some don't. In reality, there's no such thing as a truly pure sine wave ups
I also read that these modifed Sine Wave UPS are not recommended but I dont think most users are using pure Sine Wave UPS.
And I need an UPS to shutdown my system safely. 5 mins enough for backup. So, wont these modified Sine wave UPS do the work?
they will
So it might be a UPS battery problem
can you try swapping the psu? it wont void the warranty :p

Last edited:
OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
To swap the batteries, I will need to unscrew both the UPS, so the seal of the Intex will break. And my uncle wont allow me to do so.
And why do you think its a battery problem? My UPS runs fine with my cousin's PC. If it had any battery problem then it probably couldnt have given any backup. But it did.
So, you still think its a battery problem??

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
To swap the batteries, I will need to unscrew both the UPS, so the seal of the Intex will break. And my uncle wont allow me to do so.
And why do you think its a battery problem? My UPS runs fine with my cousin's PC. If it had any battery problem then it probably couldnt have given any backup. But it did.
So, you still think its a battery problem??

I said swap PSU'S
Did the ups run on your cousin's pc under full load/heavy games running?

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Oh! PSUs. Still its not possible.
My UPS was giving me backup when I was using an Intex 450W PSU as standby. But after using this FSP APN 700, my UPS is not giving backup. I also asked FSP and they also said its UPS problem.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
K, guys. I have decided to buy a new UPS.
These are the quotes I got:
* Intex/Zeb./Frontech 600VA -- 1.3k
* V-Guard 600VA -- 1.7k
* APC 600VA -- 2.1k
* Microtek 800VA -- 3k
* Intex 1KVA -- 3k

Only V-Guard and APC provide two years onsite with 2yr on both battery and UPS.
How are V-Guard UPSes? Anyone has have/had any experiences?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
K, guys. I have decided to buy a new UPS.
These are the quotes I got:
* Intex/Zeb./Frontech 600VA -- 1.3k
* V-Guard 600VA -- 1.7k
* APC 600VA -- 2.1k
* Microtek 800VA -- 3k
* Intex 1KVA -- 3k

Only V-Guard and APC provide two years onsite with 2yr on both battery and UPS.
How are V-Guard UPSes? Anyone has have/had any experiences?

Can you ask the the shopkeeper if you can take your CPU there and test it on some ups(your preferred choice) on full load/heavy games

well, I have A VGUARD ups (SLENDER PLUS 600), I too bought for the same price, last year and it performs well...
but it gets hot a lot, which is very hot, (well most ups get hot but getting hot means electricity getting wasted in the form of heat, but my new APC 600va ups doesn't get hot, gets a little warm on top near vents only on charging)
previously i get 15 min backup on my pc, which might comsume only 100-150w as it has no Graphic card. now im using apc and using it as emergency backup for my DVR and CCTV power supplies (power consumption less than 40W) and got 2 hours+

Be careful not to buy discontinued VGUARD products, the shopkeeper might try to sell you off the discontinued ones to you
I cant comment about their A.S.S but my local computer shop says that both APC and Vguard A.S.S is great.

Now presenty my 1 month old APC 600va battery failed, i contacted apc via chat(thursday), they told me to charge for 8-10 hrs and see, it gave only 5mins, told them on (friday) then the next day(saturday) apc service man came to my house and checked it and due to business new financial year opening they said he will replace battery on (wednesday)

I had 2 numeric 600VA's one is
600EX: worked for 2 years, battery change, worked for 2 years, and i changed my psu from zebronics 450W to Corsair 430V2, it made the ups to make loud buzzing sound when on battery, worked for 6 months and battery died
600LI: was purchased 7-8 ears back, changed battery 3 times and still in good working condition

========
needless to say, I had experience with many ups brands.
the top worst brands are:

Microtek: max 1 year after that useless, will give crazy wave form and batteries will be exhausted, cheap quality local components even in their 1KVA double power plus UPS)(I have 3 double battery 800va ups'es and 1kva ups sold off for Rs.600)(will definitely kill HDD with its inbuilt worst AVR)
Powercom: killed my HDD and PSU, but does give 20minutes backup
UMAX: I had 1kva double battery, worked for 1.5 years and then I replaced battery, worked for 2 months and then board died and killed the new set of batteries too
iBall, Zebronics, Intex, WeP, Frontech: all cheap quality crap, seriously How can you believe as a tv or ac voltage stabilizer starts from 2k where as these companies will give us voltage fluctuation protections and battery backup for 1.5k itself???
=========

Last edited:
Top Bottom