Upgrading in tight budget :O

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i have pentium dual core E5300, 2X2 GB DDR2 RAM, GT240 1GB , ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS and local 450W PSU.
i am planning to upgrade and i need some suggestions. i am using my pocket money so i am on a tight budget and this upgrade will take over 3-5 months :shock:
i have planned to buy one 4GB Gskill ripjaws single stick as RAM as prices are really good these days

My planned PC will have:

phenom II X4 955 [or X6 1055T]
4GB [or 8GB] Gskill ripjaws RAM
compatible motherboard
and a sub 10k gpu
3HDDs and one ODD
6-7 fans of cabby [will buy zebby invader/CM elite 430 later]

so suggest me a PSU for above planned config. my friends are suggesting to buy seasonic 520W or tagan stonerock 500W
can above PSUs handle that rig? i dont really want to spend on a 600W if 500W is enough for that PC.

ps: i am waiting for bulldozer so AMD could slash prices of current phenom models further, plz dont suggest me to go for i5. its out of by budget.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
my advice to u is to don't spend ur money now accumulate the total & spend it at once after 3 months the prices will surely dip further

For the PSU i think if ur not going for sli/cfx then these psus r enough

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
^^i have no plan to buy CPU+mobo before december. and NO GPU before feb next year. i will buy SMPS, RAM etc. first.

mithun_mrg: will will not SLI/CFX.

i have max budget of 4k for a motherboard. and i dont think i can even use my GT240 as PPU in that kinda board. is 520/500W is enough for that rig?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
a good branded 500W PSU is more than enough - if you want to save some money you can get a FSP SAGA II 500W @ ~2.2k which has good build quality ;-)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@op accumulate ur cash when it is enough sell ur current rig i think u will get a decent amount for that then go ahead

heartripple

In the zone
Buying parts in 3-4 months time needs a very good planning and patience .........

As you want to but PSU ..... I will suggest FSP SAGA II 500 watts....

First of all get that PSU and RAM.....

Then Motherboard and Processor combo

Then Graphics Card....

And then HDDs.....

in this kind of upgrade as the time passes you will be get confused...so make sure you dont get confused...

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i will not sell my current PC. it will be used in LAN parties :p

i dont need HDDs. just CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU and cabby

so FSP 500W can handle a GTX460/560/HD6870 with 3HDDs, 1ODD, 5-6 fans and X4 955BE/X6 1055T ??

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Gaming

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes :))

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 6k for CPU, 2k for RAM, 3k for SMPS,8-10k for GPU and 4k for mobo, 3k for cabby

4. Planning to overclock?
A: in case of CPU bottlenecking in gaming

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 X64

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: already having HDDs

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: already using 1440X900 LCD.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7.5-8

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: built my old desktop myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: in next 1-6 months

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:should be future proof for next 2-3 years

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: buying only GPU CPU mobo RAM PSU and cabby

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Gorakhpur. i am planning to buy online from theitwares, primeabgb etc..

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: i am on a tight budget :-| and i want only CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, cabby and mobo
____

one of my friend is saying that AMD will discontinue current phenom II processors after the launch of bulldozer. so cancel your upgrade plan and buy a bulldozer after 5-6 months.
i have few questions.

1. is this true they will discontinue phenom II series?? what about RMA or any other prob if they discontinue?

2. i cant extend my budget. i have 6k for CPU and 4k for mobo. should i buy phenom II X4 955 this oct/nov or wait for 6-8 months to get cheaper prices for bulldozer cpu and compatible mobo?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
3k for SMPS,8-10k for GPU and 4k for mobo, 3k for cabby
Phenom X4 955 BE - 5.8K
Gskill 4 GB DDR3 - 1.8K
HD6850 - 9.5 K
Gigabyte GA-880GM USB3 - 4.8K
Cooler Master Elite 33x- 2 to 3K.

ps: Are you really going for 6 Cabby Fans or 10 DD? FSP SAGAII is a decent PSU that will satisfy standard requirements of a basic/mid gaming rig.
Other wise push budget a bit higher and get GS600

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i can extend my budget for psu to 4k max to max. but if a 500/520W can handle 3HDDs, 1 ODD, 955BE, GTX460/560/HD6870, then i will be happy with 500/520W

i will buy a elite 430 or zebby invader later next year. i heard somewhere it has 6 fans

Cilus

laborare est orare
i can extend my budget for psu to 4k max to max. but if a 500/520W can handle 3HDDs, 1 ODD, 955BE, GTX460/560/HD6870, then i will be happy with 500/520W

i will buy a elite 430 or zebby invader later next year. i heard somewhere it has 6 fans

Then I think you should opt for a little higher wattage PSU as you are also planning to overclock if required. Here My pick will be Corsair GS600 @ 4K but since you're in tight budget, opt for Corsair CX 600 V2 @ 3.5 K(in theitwares). It can easily handle all your HDDs, fans and a high end graphics card like GTX 460/HD 6870/HD 6950. You can also check the availability of Tagan Stonerock 600W. It is a 80+ Bronze PSU and currently in Kolkata it is available within 4K.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i am going for upgrade in 2-3 weeks :D

i have planned to buy proccy, ram and mobo,

and later smps [in jan next year] and gpu [april or may]

i will buy AMD phenom II X4 955 for 5.8k+shipping and Asus M4N68T-M LE V2 for 2.5k + shipping

does this board support 1333MHZ DDR3 RAM sticks? and 125W CPUs??

i am on a really tight budget and i dont need fancy features like advanced onboard grafix, coreunlocker, advanced OC etc.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I won't suggest putting a 125w Phenom II in an entry-level board like Asus M4N68T-M LE V2.

Spend more on the motherboard. Or spend less on the processor and get Athlon II X4 640/5 or Phenom II X4 840.

These are 95w. And don't get an nForce chipset motherboard. With ~300 Rs. more, there are entry level AMD 760G chipset motherboard from Asus/Gigabyte. The IGP on them is slightly better.

AMD mobos @ SMCInternational.in

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1) @ 2.7K is much better
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P/3.1 Mother Board

specifications:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1)

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
No, I won't suggest putting a 125w Phenom II in an entry-level board like Asus M4N68T-M LE V2.

Spend more on the motherboard. Or spend less on the processor and get Athlon II X4 640/5 or Phenom II X4 840.

These are 95w. And don't get an nForce chipset motherboard. With ~300 Rs. more, there are entry level AMD 760G chipset motherboard from Asus/Gigabyte. The IGP on them is slightly better.

AMD mobos @ SMCInternational.in

but asus site shows Asus M4N68T-M LE V2 supports phenom II X4 955BE and even X6 1100T

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^would u buy a new car with a old engine of course not that's the reason he suggested not to buy the M/B with age old nvidia chipset there r other valid alternates even the gigabyte one suggested by whitestar_999 supports Am3+ is a few bucks coslier is worth buying

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
@avinandan012 : will upgrade cabby later [in 5-6 months]

@whitestar_999 : thanks

now i am considering these 2 :D both fits my budget pretty well
GA-MA78LMT-S2 (rev. 3.x)
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA78LMT-S2 (rev. 3.x)

GA-78LMT-S2P rev.3.1
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the 1st one is not available on the market though the availability of the second one is plenty - so you have to go with the second option and it supports BD cpus as well - overall a good choice IMO ;-)

Top Bottom