upgrade advice required.

Kanra

Broken In
What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Gaming, photoshop and web dev.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Definitely

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 20k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: probably a year down the line if requirements demand. Plan to use the rig for 3 yrs

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Not reqd. have 4tb

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Currently using a viewsonic 17" @ 1440x900. Will shift to a 22" in 3-4 months in range of 7-8k

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5 yrs ago: 10, now somewhere around 6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Built many times but again 10-5 yrs ago. Will assemble myself.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: immediately

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Expecting it to run for 3 yrs. I am not into 6 month upgrades anymore.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Decided on a Phenim II X4 955BE. Already have a dvdr, hdd, cabinet and a older 8800GT which will do the work for sometime. Will change the card when i switch the monitor.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Pune. can look @ mumbai but xport is a issue i have to sort out.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:
Already shortlisted Phenom II X4 955BE, Corsair Vengeance 4 GB, and stuck on a good board. Looking for a USB3.0 supporting board which will make life easier for my external WD drives which are a plenty. Another part I am stuck on is the PSU. Thinking of a Corsair VX450 as it's being recommended more than the GS600 but will it do my work. I have 3 internal hdd and writer.
My total budget is abt 20k and basic requirements are processor, mobo, memory and PSU. If a decent cabinet falls in the price bracket, i'll opt for a change else stick to my old one and throw out old junk. :grin: Current cabinet is air cooled with panels peeled off and needs the heat sinks to be cleaned every month

I was into extreme gaming earlier but have been into casual gaming for abt 5 yrs and sticking mostly to xbox. Will change the 8800GT and monitor in Oct and not looking for their upgrade rt now.

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 5.5K
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) @ 5.4K
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL @ 2.2K
Corsair GS600 @ 4K
CM Elite 430 @ 2.4K

Total 19.5K. The cabinet I've suggested is actually good for you since you have so many peripherals.
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H is one of the best mobo as it is having SATA 3 6 Gbps and USB 3.0 support, 2 PCI Express X16 slot and Officially support for upcoming Bulldozer CPU.
Gskill 4 Gigs is enough right?
Corsiar GS600 is a better alternative than VX450. It will offer you enough power to support your current configs while opening path for future upgrades. May be VX450 has slightly better efficiency and build quality but where you are adding so many components, GS600 is the best future proof buy.

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) @ 5.4K
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL @ 2.2K
Corsair GS600 @ 4K
CM Elite 430 @ 2.4K

Total 19.5K. The cabinet I've suggested is actually good for you since you have so many peripherals.
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H is one of the best mobo as it is having SATA 3 6 Gbps and USB 3.0 support, 2 PCI Express X16 slot and Officially support for upcoming Bulldozer CPU.
Gskill 4 Gigs is enough right?
Corsiar GS600 is a better alternative than VX450. It will offer you enough power to support your current configs while opening path for future upgrades. May be VX450 has slightly better efficiency and build quality but where you are adding so many components, GS600 is the best future proof buy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will opt for the mobo u recommended. Just a query, you mentioned rev 3.1. Is that mobo revision based on a bios upgrade or a hardware update on the socket?

I was planning on Corsair Vengeance 4GB single stick for now and another 4GB in future. You have suggested Gskill..That's better? I am asking from warranty and support point. I had blown lots of parts in past overclocking my systems and nowdays look for support with performance.

Had read a few threads in other forums which seemed to suggest VX450 over GS600 due to better performing internals even though GS600 comes with higher wattage

gaming,, the higher clocked X4 will do better with the mid-range 8800GT

:mrgreen: My sentiments exactly. Plan to overclock only when the current cpu isn't able to handle what's thrown at it. The 8800GT will have to do till end of yr.

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
I assume he meant not to overspend on the cpu when i am still running a 8800GT.
Anyway i checked the X6 prices and think I'll be better off sticking to the X4 955 for now :)

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
@ Cilus: I am being quoted 3.3k for the Gskill in Pune which is almost 800 bucks over the vengeance. Do i get benefit of opting for gskill?

And advice me on VX450/GS600. I am hearing on both sides. have been suggested to opt for VX450 by retailer for better efficiency, longer warranty and better performance!

D

Deleted member 118788

@ Cilus: I am being quoted 3.3k for the Gskill in Pune which is almost 800 bucks over the vengeance. Do i get benefit of opting for gskill?

And advice me on VX450/GS600. I am hearing on both sides. have been suggested to opt for VX450 by retailer for better efficiency, longer warranty and better performance!

G Skill Ram is shorter in height so if you install a cpu cooler it will benefit.
For 4GB They Have Quoted The Price?

Last edited by a moderator:

d3p

PowerHouse

How about corsair Value DDR3 2x2GB 1333 MHz - 2k or 4GB Single - 2.3k ???

Check their locla availability.

shayem

In the zone

You checked model no.?? Is that same which Cilus suggested??

I would say go for GS600.

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
You checked model no.?? Is that same which Cilus suggested??

I would say go for GS600.

G.Skill model is same. itwares also has it at slightly lower than pune albeit higher price compared to Cilus TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - TheITWares

D

Deleted member 118788

G.Skill model is same. itwares also has it at slightly lower than pune albeit higher price compared to Cilus TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - TheITWares

You Can Buy For Rs. 2,450.00 @ PrimeABGB
G-skill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

They are Giving Free Shipping For Few Days

Cilus

laborare est orare
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)...here rev 3.1 is just a BIOS update, not any hardware change. Even if you are not able to find it, just but any version of the board and upgrade the BIOS.

If you are facing problem to get the Gskill memory, get 4 GB 1600 MHz XMS3 @ 2.3K in smcinternational. Here is the link.

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)...here rev 3.1 is just a BIOS update, not any hardware change. Even if you are not able to find it, just but any version of the board and upgrade the BIOS.

If you are facing problem to get the Gskill memory, get 4 GB 1600 MHz XMS3 @ 2.3K in smcinternational. Here is the link.

Hey, thanks for all ur help guys. Ordered my unit today

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) @ 5.5K
Corsair XMS 3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB @ 2.5K
Corsair VX550 @ 4.6K
CM Elite 430 @ 2.7K

Had to pay a bit premium for being in Pune but will have to do.

@Cilus, switched from GS600 to VX550 for additional warranty and efficiency. As per all the reviews and suggestions, the additional PSU price should recover itself in electricity bills :D

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
UPDATE: 28/6/11
Every vendor I speak to in Pune confirms availability of 880GA-ud3h mobo and when i turnup to pickup, I am shown the 880GM-USB3 and told they are both almost same and the 880GA has not been launched in India. I guess thats the selling trick they use to get a customer into shop. :(
I have spoken to all major vendors and distributors so the 880GA is out of question.

Now I am stuck in 3 choices.
1. Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 : Rs 5000
Pro: AM3+ socket for BD cpu ready
Con: microATX with SB710 so no SATA 6Gbps, lack of online reviews
Crossfire!!
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
1 x PCI Express x1 slot

2. Asus M4A87TD USB3 : Rs 6100
Pro: has a SB850 so Sata 6 Gbps
I have discrete graphic so lack of GPU no issue
Con: Lack of AM3+ support, price, lack of decent reviews online.
Others: Crossfire!
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4

3. MSI 890GXM-G65 : Rs 7300
Pro: 890GX, Great reviews online. Seems overclockable.
Crossfire!!
PCI-Ex16 2
PCI-E Gen Gen2 (1x16, 1x8)

Cons: Lack of AM3+ support, Price. At 2300 extra, mebbe I can put a CM Hyper 212 cooler and arctic ice in the GB 880GM-USB3 at same price. Available @ 4 days prior order.

I may never use crossfire/BD CPU/SATA III but as all have their pros andcons and I am looking for a 3-4 yr machine, I am real stuck and need advice.

OP
K

Kanra

Broken In
Decided to keep the BD option open so finally picked the Gigabyte board :D

I am quite surprised by the cpu fan speed and noise. It's running at abt 5700rpm and making hell of a lot of noise. I can hear it outside the room even with cabinet closed. First time when it ramped up in sound, I had thought someone was using a drill machine somewhere. Temp though is in mid 40's.

Top Bottom