Ubuntu Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alltime.homie

Broken In
I need instructions to install Ubuntu 5.10 from the Digit CD. Can someone please help me ? I tried locating the ISO file for burning to a CD but could locate none after extraction. If someone could please give me step by step instructions for it, I would be grateful. Thank you very much.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
first of all well to the linux world!:p
well to need to burn the iso on the cd. check here
also this is install guide or if u want a dual boot with windows xp check here.
this is a older version of os. that latest is 6.06. i suggest u to go for it.if u don't have it.request it here u will get a drapper drake 6.06 cd free with in a month of order. anymore questions post here

regards,
gary

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
alltime.homie - What did you extract? Dont extract the ISO via WinRAR. Just enter your CD-Burning software, find an option to "Burn image to disc" and when itasks for the image file, choose this .ISO file in it. Now burn.

Next, after burning, put the CD back into the tray and do a restart of your computer. The CD should show a boot-up menu now, just choose install and go ahead with partitioning and selecting packages and you're done in another 25 minutes of install.

OP
alltime.homie

alltime.homie

Broken In
Thanks a lot. I tried from my CD and I realized that I was extracting the iso files... :D Well, I know what to do now. Thanks a lot. And I think I'll wait before I get the new version. I have only 64kbps now and god knows how long that'll take to download. Thanks !

OP
alltime.homie

alltime.homie

Broken In
Tried installing Ubuntu 5.10 on my PC> the entire installation went smooth and after it tried to access linux, just said that the X windows system - Graphical User Interface failed to load.
Tried to intall Kubuntu 5.10 and after installation, does not go into GUI. Just asks me Ubuntu login, and Ubuntu password, and I'm not even able to enter the password in the DOS screen. Tried formatting the entire HDD.

I have 2 HDD's - 40gb and 80gb. I dedicated 40gb to install linux. Now when I format the 40gb, it says the GRUB boot loader failed, and I'm not able to boot even XP. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this problem as well as the problem mentioned above ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
first of all list ur hardware sepc,also ur partion setup.
i think the when u formated ur 40 gb hdd.u erased ur MBR.now for start xp atleast:
boot through windows xp cd>go to recorvery console>u will get a dos prompt>type "fix mbr">restart computer>done:)

please list ur hardware & and partion setup then will see why x-server failed to start.now u have to edit the config file which is the nightmare of every newbie.but don't panic can do it!.see this . if u have a gfx card try remove it & then install.

reagards,
gary

OP
alltime.homie

alltime.homie

Broken In
Ok. I should have mentioned my spec. earlier. I have a P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, D101Ggc chipset with integrated flexible Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card. 80 GB Seagate Barracuda, 40GB Seagate HDD. SONY DVD writer as well, if that was needed. Someone please temme how to do this, I'm desperate !!!

mihirvashist

Journeyman
gary4gar said:
first of all list ur hardware sepc,also ur partion setup.
i think the when u formated ur 40 gb hdd.u erased ur MBR.now for start xp atleast:
boot through windows xp cd>go to recorvery console>u will get a dos prompt>type "fix mbr">restart computer>done:)

please list ur hardware & and partion setup then will see why x-server failed to start.now u have to edit the config file which is the nightmare of every newbie.but don't panic can do it!.see this . if u have a gfx card try remove it & then install.

reagards,
gary
this cmd is ok ...
but if it gives u a warning that ur partition tables might be deleted coz the mbr is unidentified then don't do it...
it happened with me...
i didn't notice the warning only to realize that i should have used fixboot cmd...
however after that i had to do a fresh installation of XP losing all my data ..that's why i'm telling you...
look for warning...if no warning go ahead...else go for fixboot cmd....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It seems the problem lies with the onboard graphics. ATI is known to be notorious with linux.
Maybe this can help *www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu-h...xpress-200-cant-change-screen-resolution.html. Sorry,

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mihirvashist said:
this cmd is ok ...
but if it gives u a warning that ur partition tables might be deleted coz the mbr is unidentified then don't do it...
it happened with me...
i didn't notice the warning only to realize that i should have used fixboot cmd...
however after that i had to do a fresh installation of XP losing all my data ..that's why i'm telling you...
look for warning...if no warning go ahead...else go for fixboot cmd....
so i always say backup ur data regularly:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom