Ubuntu Finally !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I installed UBUNTU 7.10 on My PC and It Rocks !! :)

This is my First Post From UBUNTU !

It plays Music and has Firefox and now what i need is A C++ IDE !!

Of Course It is a big Deal

It took 1.5 hours to install it on my system from 7:45 to 9:15 .. i used the ubuntu alternate CD

I have 192 MB SD RAM with 1 Ghz P3 PC and i have no plans of major upgrade !!!! my dad ofcourse has a laptop but i don't touch it ! i don't like to !
my PC got only CD ROM had to use my dad's lappy to burn ubuntu CD !! lol !

Also PIDGIN rocks anyway in and i use it in windows too
need a bit torrent and download manager now too !
lets see what's it got !

now i am using Rythm box music player ..! i guess its good ! right guys ? or which is the best player . i mean the best which can run on my pc !

Yes Ubuntu 7.10 is real slow compared to XP SP 2
I can feel the difference .. but i think i will use Ubuntu and put a new ram stick in just for that . lol !

previoulsy i used to use damn small linux . now that was real fast !!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Glad to hear that. You might want to check for setting up Ubuntu Gutsy for Speed . A search in google will lead you to a blog of the author. By the way you might want to watch out for a service called trackerd and see if it consumes alot of your memory.

Anyway welcome to ubuntu :D

vish786

"The Gentleman"
DSL works fast like Flash(fastest runner).
Small & superfast.

use Deluge as Infra said.

Last edited:
OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
exx_2000 said:
Glad to hear that. You might want to check for setting up Ubuntu Gutsy for Speed . A search in google will lead you to a blog of the author. By the way you might want to watch out for a service called trackerd and see if it consumes alot of your memory.

Anyway welcome to ubuntu :D

Thanks a lot for the welcome and the Tip

acutally i hv used ubuntu for may be 2-3 hrs previously .. coz for all my friends its me who installs ubuntu in their PC ;)

Will now see how to make it fast !

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
c++ is there in the synaptic package manager,I guess it is not installed by default(c is installed by default).Just use synaptic to install c++(nothing need to be downloaded just insert the cd)

exaile is an awesome music player.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
With just 192mb of RAM, I wouldn't advise you to install Azureus. Use Deluge Bit torrent client instead.

*deluge-torrent.org/downloads.php

Download Manager: Downloade4x. Its there in repos. Just connect to the net and install it via Synaptic.

Music: If you only want a player then Audacious is best for you. If you want a Media Manager cum Player then Exaile is good (I hafn't used anything else).

Both of them are available in the repos. Just connect to the net and install them via Synaptic.

praka123

left this forum longback
For torrents Azureus is my personal choice but it uses too much memory.use deluge-torrent or transmission(lightest!) and there are many other torrent clients in Linux.
and for C/C++ IDE,go install from synaptic,Anjuta.use xine-ui and mplayer apart from totem for video play.install all those codecs if ur a multimedia freak.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
i have installed 7.04 and then updated all the packages...

and then i installed all multimedia players like vlc xmms and more, fonts, many softwares like picasa flash partition , many codecs and plugins, ..etc. etc.

I took around 500MB to download and update these all /...

Now my question is if i upgrade my 7.04 to 7.10 gutsy then will that updated and installed softwared be wasted or not...?

i mean should i upgrade to 7.10 or not...?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You can upgrade without issues. The installed softwares would be updated as necessary as well. :)

But I'd just like to add that doing a CD download is more beneficial in case you have to reformat your Ubuntu at a later point of time.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
i m getting ubbuntu dvd 7.10 with december 2007...
So why to download the cd ..

and plz tel me whether i can update from 7.04 to 7.10 with this dvd coming with digit

arunks

Hey here is the aks
but i want to have latest version:D

Also it(7.10) must be having some gud and new features..

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
arunks said:
but i want to have latest version:D

Also it(7.10) must be having some gud and new features..

curiosity killed the cat:D

Try it if u like to tinker

arunks

Hey here is the aks
but tell me willl my all updates and softwares installed in 7.04 be intact after upgrading to 7.10????????????????

If yes then only i can upgrade....
So anybody knows?????

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
arunks said:
but tell me willl my all updates and softwares installed in 7.04 be intact after upgrading to 7.10????????????????

If yes then only i can upgrade....
So anybody knows?????

possibly some dependencies will go broken, Avant window navigator etc.

But the core system will remain stable.

I once upgrade and everything was workin fine. Though expect some bugs to infiltrate :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom