TRAI invites Indians to comment on Net Neutrality Till 20th Aug 2015 Only So Hurry

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
So, Government Services are best for internet...
See this..
Broadband - MTNL Mumbai

Using one :)

Yup. At one time they offered better plans, no FUP, 1mbps for 999, which got upgraded to 2mbps for 999. Although this plan is no longer available, they have a killer provision.
Existing Broadband Customers can continue in their existing plan or migrate to new plan of their choice

A

amit.tiger12

Yup. At one time they offered better plans, no FUP, 1mbps for 999, which got upgraded to 2mbps for 999. Although this plan is no longer available, they have a killer provision.

^ similar kind of thing happen to me for broadband combo offer :)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
uh net neutrality is about discriminating based on what service is being used on the bandwidth right?
well, first of all, in principle, Im against net neutrality. Some data is more critical than other data. One hypothetical scenario is a hospital, where one person is using a computer to surf funny cat pictures, and another person is looking up symptoms for a rare disease and how to treat it.
second point is, we should first have and use the services for the ISPs to be discriminating over it. As a regular user (for personal use), even if there is an intention to subscribe to services, not many of these are available in India.

Funnily enough, have no bandwidth problems with my 2mbps unlimited (no FUP) MTNL line at home (1k/m). For last year, while studying, have been using FUP'd BSNL line, and can understand what a pain it is.
This kind of thinking is so wrong.

See the person who is using the phone to surf cat pictures has paid for a 1 Mbps bandwidth and he has to get it. Also the other person who is looking up information too has paid for 1 Mbps and he has to get it too. So where is the problem here? The ISP has to arrange for 2 Mbps to cater to both of them and throttle if any of them goes above 1 Mbps. Does not have anything to do with what each individual is doing with it.

The only situation where discrimination among network traffic is if you are in Antarctica and no chance of laying cables, have to use the only available satellite uplink and you need to transmit urgent earthquake warning while the person is surfing cat pictures then it is justified. Because there the pipe is common and no chance of putting new pipe.

In reality what the ISPs are doing right now is overselling the available bandwidth (something like what airlines used to do leading to people with confirmed tickets not getting seats) and trying to make dishonest profit by charging more for the same infrastructure. Thats plain wrong.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yup. Im against it for maximising revenue for the ISPs
Im for it theoretically. Like if the infrastructure of the Internet itself can understand what is critical data and what is not, and prioritize accordingly, in the case of bottlenecks or problems.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Come on. They have spent a lot in advertising themselves in creating and telecasting all those advertisements and marketing campaigns. They have to pay ARR, Abhishek, the zoo zoos etc. Who is going to pay the the TV channels for the ads? That is why they should not care about maintaining their existing capacity or increasing the capacity. Don't forget the investors, who come first. They do everything for the company and they should be rewarded with bonus when ever possible. And the board of directors along with them.

They should not care for the customers as they don't have any better service providers. They should make most out of the cartel that they have formed for fixing the prices. They should charge Rs. 500 for 100 MB/month and Rs. 10/MB after the limit. They all should have only this plan. Additionally, they should not have any call/message boosters at all. Also, users should be charged for USSD requests also.

Have I forgot something?

/s

spxx

Broken In
yup. Im against it for maximising revenue for the ISPs
Im for it theoretically. Like if the infrastructure of the Internet itself can understand what is critical data and what is not, and prioritize accordingly, in the case of bottlenecks or problems.

am sorry , you are getting it all wrong that is not how internet works, web treats data as data, the different protocols we use Https/http, ftp, BT, and is case of voip sip: etc use data without discriminating against it and there is no way to decide at what speed which data should travel , what TRAI which is in pockets of isps is trying to create multiple highways where they are speed cops and can write you a challan unless you pay up and that is so wrong on so many fronts, isps job is give my data at whatever price , package fixed by them and it is up to me how use it.

they do this and you won't see a Indian version of netflix, hulu etc and this what they are trying to stifle, innovation and they are afraid of it, worldwide esp in USA and India, isps are also in major big time media ,DHT, production , movies you name it and they already invested in that and they trying to maintain a monoply over that , web is a big threat to that business cause of ppl we call cord cutters who are not dependent on regular T.V . going after OTT is the first step, they tried in USA where it is same with comsat, verzion , time etc all are invested in media and they failed ,OTT is just an excuse real target it going after media providers on net.

on coming to services in India it down right path tic , i have worked in Sweden for over a year and i paid 15 euro for 1000/1000 fiber with no limits and 90 HD channels [ am leaving again in 2 days and frankly one of the reasons is internet out here]
FUP is a myth crated by isps , data costs but not that much esp since our own Indian telcos like tata and reliance are largest sellers of B/W to international isp like in Europe and they making killing out there . airtel is hugely invested in African markets and is now looking at Europe , these guys have already created a monoply , voip apps are not a threat to them unless they learn to evolve according to market and provide much faster, cheaper and reliable service like they in most of Europe and east asia .

p.s if they ever try regulate it you could use a vpn and tunnel voip over that and there already voip clients out there which mask their traffic as https , going after webz is futile web will always route against any damage.

Hrishi

^I completely agree. I have worked with an MNC for British Telecom , AT&T.
Airtel too has invested a lot of money in Africas.

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah it is like that free suggestion box that will never be opened and if opened will be going towards trash to make place for some more suggestions.

gameranand

Living to Play
Its the first time that I am spamming my Status updates with NetNeutrality hashtags and related links and pics. I hope it pays off. :)

pratyush997

Inactive
Its the first time that I am spamming my Status updates with NetNeutrality hashtags and related links and pics. I hope it pays off. :)
Keep checking this site - India: United We Stand

and THIS :( - *www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/322iv8/trai_asking_for_feedback_on_their_proposal_is_a/

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
uh net neutrality is about discriminating based on what service is being used on the bandwidth right?
well, first of all, in principle, Im against net neutrality. Some data is more critical than other data. One hypothetical scenario is a hospital, where one person is using a computer to surf funny cat pictures, and another person is looking up symptoms for a rare disease and how to treat it.
second point is, we should first have and use the services for the ISPs to be discriminating over it. As a regular user (for personal use), even if there is an intention to subscribe to services, not many of these are available in India.

Funnily enough, have no bandwidth problems with my 2mbps unlimited (no FUP) MTNL line at home (1k/m). For last year, while studying, have been using FUP'd BSNL line, and can understand what a pain it is.

what you have said is correct, but i think you have missed a point. its not upto to the ISPs to regulate the internet. if an institution want to discourage its employees from visiting a certain website, then they will block those sites using filters. the ISPs' duty is to provide equal net connection, and they must do it. its like having parental control. ;)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I don't know what you guys are planning, but I'm writing to my local newspapers and giving a speech in my school on this.
Because debating over here is not gonna make a difference. A single newspaper column reaches lakhs of people. And a single speech reaches ~500 people. If anyone has a better idea please do tell me.

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't know what you guys are planning, but I'm writing to my local newspapers and giving a speech in my school on this.
Because debating over here is not gonna make a difference. A single newspaper column reaches lakhs of people. And a single speech reaches ~500 people. If anyone has a better idea please do tell me.

This is good I will also do something similar.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Sorry to promote here
Please start posting in my sub reddit.
Net Neutrality for India.

I could really use some help from users who know CSS.

Top Bottom