TRAI invites Indians to comment on Net Neutrality Till 20th Aug 2015 Only So Hurry

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It’s Your Time To Speak! TRAI invites Comments on Net Neutrality

Net Neutrality has become one of the most important buzzwords in the tech world over the past years. This simple principle states that all content on the internet should get equal speeds, and internet providers cannot discriminate between the content. So users will get the same speed of access to the Facebook as they would for Youtube. The Federal Communications Commission of America, after a intense public debate, sided with Net Neutrality which was seen as a big win for an open and free internet and seen as a rare instant when the public opinion was considered over corporate interests. Now it’s India’s turn to decide the future of the internet.

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India(TRAI) has invited views of Indian citizens on the future of the Internet in the country. The regulatory agency is currently also considering the future course of action for the OTT (over-the-top) players such as apps like Whatsapp, Viber, Skype which let users make calls and send messages at reduced rates in comparison to telecom companies. This is why the government is being pressured by the telecom lobby to create a regulatory framework for these apps which are eating into the revenues of the companies.

Airtel recently was on the receiving end massive of massive public outrage for breaking the internet based services and charging exorbitant rates for them. The public backlash led the company to roll back the decision. This instance exhibited an immediate need for clear net neutrality policies in India.

You can send in your comments by 24th April, 2015 and counter comments by 8th May 2015 on email id advqos@trai.gov.in. You can find more information on the consultation paper on TRAI’s website.

Net Neutrality has been one of the founding principles of the internet which has been around since its early days. Our lives are getting more and more dependent on the internet with each passing day, and so it’s absolutely essential that the consumer demand it to be open and fair. So right now you have been given an opportunity send in your views and if you miss now you won’t have the right to complain later. So go ahead and tell TRAI and the Indian government to bring strong net neutrality policies and preserve the open and free internet.

If you are still not convinced to take action yet, we’ll let John Oliver explain why you should send in your comments to TRAI, right now!

Source: TRAI Asks Indians To Comment on Net Neutrality - iGyaan

- - - Updated - - -

TRAI consulatation paper for the same: Consultation Paper : Telecom Regulatory Authority of India

Net Neutrality is chapter 5.

------------------------ Update -------------------------

*www.facebook.com/IndiaBakchod/videos/954135921297069/
Happy Internet Independence Day: AIB releases ?Save the Internet 2 ? Judgement Day"

Go through these and See what happened with all the e-mails sent :

Net neutrality: Trai exposes 1 million email IDs to spammers - The Times of India

We still have chance but till 20th Aug. 5:0 PM only :
*mygov.in/group-issue/give-your-comments-or-suggestions-recommendations-committee-net-neutrality/

Register, login and lodge your complain before it's too late and do mention :

1. We DON’T WANT Net Neutrality to be defined by telecom companies
2. We DON’T WANT telecom companies to control WHAT we access on the Internet and they CAN’T charge us money for accessing certain websites/applications on the Internet
3. We WANT to be able to access anything, at any time, without having to pay more for it separately.
4. We DON’T WANT licensing for Whatsapp, Viber or any other app we use
5. Access to ALL content on the internet should be accessible to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDIF

Custom User Title
Read first few pages of the paper, whoever wrote that paper is using very old research and using it in wrong context, very much a Pro-ISPs person.
According to the view in the paper one feels that Mobile and BB companies are almost bankrupt due to OTT players like WhatsApp and Skype.
Gonna write them an email with proper counter facts even though I know that won't make a difference.

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Please submit your answers to the TRAI before the 24th April, 2015 at advqos@trai.gov.in.

MediaNama is going to do the following over the next few weeks:
– Publish a simplified version of the complicated TRAI paper so that everyone can understand and participate. We’ll do this next week.
– Respond to queries regarding Net Neutrality so we can help you understand these issues better. We’ll do this next to next week.
– Publish a sample response and if possible, a response generator (we’ll need help with this) so you can submit your views to the TRAI easily.

The 20 questions:
Question 1: Is it too early to establish a regulatory framework for OTT services, since internet penetration is still evolving, access speeds are generally low and there is limited coverage of high-speed broadband in the country? Or, should some beginning be made now with a regulatory framework that could be adapted to changes in the future? Please comment with justifications.

Question 2: Should the OTT players offering communication services (voice, messaging and video call services) through applications (resident either in the country or outside) be brought under the licensing regime? Please comment with justifications.

Question 3: Is the growth of OTT impacting the traditional revenue stream of TSPs? If so, is the increase in data revenues of the TSPs sufficient to compensate for this impact? Please comment with reasons.

Question 4: Should the OTT players pay for use of the TSPs network over and above data charges paid by consumers? If yes, what pricing options can be adopted? Could such options include prices based on bandwidth consumption? Can prices be used as a means product/service differentiation? Please comment with justifications.

Question 5: Do you agree that imbalances exist in the regulatory environment in the operation of OTT players? If so, what should be the framework to address these issues? How can the prevailing laws and regulations be applied to OTT players (who operate in the virtual world) and compliance enforced? What could be the impact on the economy? Please comment with justifications.

Question 6: How should the security concerns be addressed with regard to OTT players providing communication services? What security conditions such as maintaining data records, logs etc. need to be mandated for such OTT players? And, how can compliance with these conditions be ensured if the applications of such OTT players reside outside the country? Please comment with justifications.

Question 7: How should the OTT players offering app services ensure security, safety and privacy of the consumer? How should they ensure protection of consumer interest? Please comment with justifications.

Question 8: In what manner can the proposals for a regulatory framework for OTTs in India draw from those of ETNO, referred to in para 4.23 or the best practices summarised in para 4.29? And, what practices should be proscribed by regulatory fiat? Please comment with justifications.

Question 9: What are your views on net-neutrality in the Indian context? How should the various principles discussed in para 5.47 be dealt with? Please comment with justifications.

Question 10: What forms of discrimination or traffic management practices are reasonable and consistent with a pragmatic approach? What should or can be permitted? Please comment with justifications.

Question 11: Should the TSPs be mandated to publish various traffic management techniques used for different OTT applications? Is this a sufficient condition to ensure transparency and a fair regulatory regime?

Question 12: How should a conducive and balanced environment be created such that TSPs are able to invest in network infrastructure and CAPs are able to innovate and grow? Who should bear the network upgradation costs? Please comment with justifications

Question 13: Should TSPs be allowed to implement non-price based discrimination of services? If so, under what circumstances are such practices acceptable? What restrictions, if any, need to be placed so that such measures are not abused? What measures should be adopted to ensure transparency to consumers? Please comment with justifications.

Question 14: Is there a justification for allowing differential pricing for data access and OTT communication services? If so, what changes need to be brought about in the present tariff and regulatory framework for telecommunication services in the country? Please comment with justifications.

Question 15: Should OTT communication service players be treated as Bulk User of Telecom Services (BuTS)? How should the framework be structured to prevent any discrimination and protect stakeholder interest? Please comment with justification.

Question 16: What framework should be adopted to encourage India-specific OTT apps? Please comment with justifications.

Question 17: If the OTT communication service players are to be licensed, should they be categorised as ASP or CSP? If so, what should be the framework? Please comment with justifications.

Question 18: Is there a need to regulate subscription charges for OTT communication services? Please comment with justifications.

Question 19: What steps should be taken by the Government for regulation of non-communication OTT players? Please comment with justifications.

Question 20: Are there any other issues that have a bearing on the subject discussed?

Should India have licensing of Internet services? Net Neutrality? TRAI wants your views - MediaNama

A

amit.tiger12

Please make it simple... Answering these question is like solving UPSC paper... It is so much technical writing...

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Please make it simple... Answering these question is like solving UPSC paper... It is so much technical writing...

That's their aim. Confuse the general public so much that they don't bother answering. Also, each of those questions ends with "Please comment with justifications.". What's the guarantee that they will accept our reasoning? I sense something bad coming.

A

amit.tiger12

^they want us to pay for every service...

Trai may regulate Skype, WhatsApp - The Times of India

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
stop letting telecom companies overcharge on data plans etc and dont let them ruin VOIP,IM etc
If you are already pricing calls,text and data so high,why charge again for VOIP and IM
those arent exactly free,you still pay a bombshell for the data to use these services

Get rid of poor FUP practices
50mbps till 5gb,then 512kbps unlimited for 1500 per month - Hathaway plan in my area :facepalm:
give atleast 2-4mbps minimum as FUP

- - - Updated - - -

^they want us to pay for every service...

Trai may regulate Skype, WhatsApp - The Times of India

exactly!!
we already pay ridiculous prices for data,why should we pay over that
doesnt make sense
unless you make a plan for unlimited whatsapp,unlimited skype or something without an additional data plan

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I agree. Increase minimum speed first.

I can barely watch a YT video on my 1mbps connection. Even on 360p. The video embedded in the first post of this thread about Net Neutrality. It was ironical to watch that vid. :|

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72261408/ortel.PNG
In my city, Ortel is the only other broadband in my city other than BSANAL
Just look at the pathetic plan they offer..

I m still waiting for the day when they will offer minimum speed of 2-4 mbps without FUP :/

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
uh net neutrality is about discriminating based on what service is being used on the bandwidth right?
well, first of all, in principle, Im against net neutrality. Some data is more critical than other data. One hypothetical scenario is a hospital, where one person is using a computer to surf funny cat pictures, and another person is looking up symptoms for a rare disease and how to treat it.
second point is, we should first have and use the services for the ISPs to be discriminating over it. As a regular user (for personal use), even if there is an intention to subscribe to services, not many of these are available in India.

Funnily enough, have no bandwidth problems with my 2mbps unlimited (no FUP) MTNL line at home (1k/m). For last year, while studying, have been using FUP'd BSNL line, and can understand what a pain it is.

snap

Lurker
Net Neutrality is that we can chose which service to use without getting throttled by our isps, ex: Isps will start throttling video streaming or voip calling and telling to pay extra. When we pay for net we should be able to use it however we want.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
First they should give pan india 2 mbps minimum FUP-less broadband for less than Rs 400 a month and then they can think about regulating OTT apps. :mad:

Download Speed by Country | Net Index from Ookla
World Average: 22.7 mbps
India's average: 6.7 mbps
What we actually get in India: 512 kbps :banghead:
that's around 1/50 th of the world's average.

According to List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, India stands at 51st position :facepalm:

Look at the internet speed in Romania. They get 100 mbps for Rs 450/month. :(

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Nah, I don't think removing FUP totally is a good idea, cause as long as a-holes like me are there I will literally do anything possible, so for users like me there should be an FUP limit, and I am sure other users are like me are there too. However the minimum FUP should be 100 GB (this size is not linked with my usage type), and the absolute minimum speed should be 2 mbps.

Just like a school can't have students who score less than 30%, less than 2 mbps broadband should be eliminated from every corner of this country, effective immediately.

Dreaming? Yeah course!

A

amit.tiger12

So, Government Services are best for internet...
See this..
Broadband - MTNL Mumbai

Using one :)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Nah, I don't think removing FUP totally is a good idea, cause as long as a-holes like me are there I will literally do anything possible, so for users like me there should be an FUP limit, and I am sure other users are like me are there too. However the minimum FUP should be 100 GB (this size is not linked with my usage type), and the absolute minimum speed should be 2 mbps.

Just like a school can't have students who score less than 30%, less than 2 mbps broadband should be eliminated from every corner of this country, effective immediately.

Dreaming? Yeah course!
Why not get more bandwidth instead of enforcing FUP?

saswat23

Human Spambot
*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72261408/ortel.PNG
In my city, Ortel is the only other broadband in my city other than BSANAL
Just look at the pathetic plan they offer..

I m still waiting for the day when they will offer minimum speed of 2-4 mbps without FUP :/

Check these out:
1. Internet tariff plans
2. Odisha Cablenet Pvt. Ltd., Plans and Packages

Top Bottom