well u r referring to this page na??
it has instructions for ubuntu,debian,fedora core 5 & not for suse

also yast is for suse.additinnaly u can use red hat package manager(*.rpm) also

regards,
gary

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
rakeshishere said:
If i have a dual boot --linux and xp..which distro will mount my partition automatically and in the previous link of the e-book i had read that in suse u need "Yast" to install any package but the link which u gave me tells "Suse has both apt and yum " which is required to install any packages:confused:
Linux is all about choices. You always have many choices.
Defualt for Suse is YASt. But, most people prefer yum of smart. I myself use smart. Fedora Core uses PIRUT, debian based distros use apt. These are all called package managers. Though YASSt is more than a package manager. Don't worry about these things now. Just start using one distro you will understand these things then.

paul_007

Padawan
hi guys , i am also new to linux( i mean dont know anything about LINUX )

i have somehow managed to install UBUNTU in my pc :))

i downloaded a music player XMMS2 , its extension is .tar.bz2

pls tell me detail how to install these files

OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
tech_your_future said:
Linux is all about choices. You always have many choices.
Defualt for Suse is YASt. But, most people prefer yum of smart. I myself use smart. Fedora Core uses PIRUT, debian based distros use apt. These are all called package managers. Though YASSt is more than a package manager. Don't worry about these things now. Just start using one distro you will understand these things then.

Ya dude...:))thats the best option but give me any good name of a distro which will enable me to mount my windows partition in linux[meaning no problem while dual booting with windows] and is more user friendly and some links in support of ur opinion:D

mehulved

Any major distro will FC, Mandriva, Suse, Ubuntu. Don't have links for that but AFAICR they all do mount windows partitions without problems, if you have their newer versions.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
Oh, BTW, Rakesh there is one thing....

you will be able to read data from your windows partition and other NTFS-formatted partitions through linux, but you will not be able to write on them :(

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
nower days NTFS can be mounted as read & write but only thing is slow speeds:(
*www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

if u r new then just use apt-get to download & install files b'cos if u download a soft u have to download all i
Code:
sudo apt-get [i]packagename[/i]

Last edited:
OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
led_shankar said:
Oh, BTW, Rakesh there is one thing....

you will be able to read data from your windows partition and other NTFS-formatted partitions through linux, but you will not be able to write on them :(

WTF...any tweak for that or use linux only to prove something:( ahaa

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Man nothing like that, NTFS writing is still in beta and is fast (ntfs-3g) tried it myself. But being Beta it is DEFINITELY not recommended, you-know-why!

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
QwertyManiac said:
Man nothing like that, NTFS writing is still in beta and is fast (ntfs-3g) tried it myself. But being Beta it is DEFINITELY not recommended, you-know-why!
********* meri roz jhand hote rehti hai X(

Last edited:
OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
In the early days of XP (Home Version) many users of an illegal copy were fined upto Rs. 25,000 for use of pirated software.
Two of my friends were among those people who were fined. One paid Rs. 12,000 and the other paid Rs. 18,000. The difference in fine amounts relates to any additional pirated software found on their computers.
:eek:...Cant beilieve this at all

mehulved

paul_007 said:
hi guys , i am also new to linux( i mean dont know anything about LINUX )

Sorry missed your post earlier.
It's better if you install any software from the repositories. Use synaptic to install softwares. Just select the softwares you want to install and press Apply. It will be installed.
Manually installing it will lead to many dependancy problems.
Rather install MPlayer + win32codecs or VLC, it will take care of all your multimedia needs.
Also read *www.ubuntuguide.org/

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
^

hey could you still tell us....

I have many linux things on CDs that I could use.

But downloading software packages through synaptic takes time on my Dialup :(

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
led_shankar said:
BehenCh*** meri roz jhand hote rehti hai X(
are u mad??
using this type of language!
Anyways, regarding the Anti-Piracy team in India... well they do pick out one out of a gazillion users once in a while and slap a rather heavy fine on them. In the early days of XP (Home Version) many users of an illegal copy were fined upto Rs. 25,000 for use of pirated software.
Two of my friends were among those people who were fined. One paid Rs. 12,000 and the other paid Rs. 18,000. The difference in fine amounts relates to any additional pirated software found on their computers.

ppl in my bsnl exchange are using cracked versions of xp, if goverment is like that there will be no fear in its citizens

Last edited:

mehulved

pathiks said:
is ther ny patch file wich solves all dependency probs 4 general popular softs
Best way is to use a package manager.
For ubuntu, you can go to packages.ubuntu.com and search for the software you need it will give you list of it's dependancies too. But, the thing is that dependancies may already be present.

praka123

left this forum longback
channel times reports M$ raiding going strong...
MS Anti-Piracy Raids Backfire in Coimbatore
By ChannelTimes Staff
Mumbai, Apr 7, 2006
A section of the Coimbatore channel has decided to stop selling Microsoft products, in retaliation to the raids conducted by the software giant on them, who were then asked to pay a fine of Rs 85,000 a few days back.
read more

paul_007

Padawan
tech_your_future said:
Sorry missed your post earlier.
It's better if you install any software from the repositories. Use synaptic to install softwares. Just select the softwares you want to install and press Apply. It will be installed.
Manually installing it will lead to many dependancy problems.
Rather install MPlayer + win32codecs or VLC, it will take care of all your multimedia needs.
Also read *www.ubuntuguide.org/

thnx 4 reply, BTW where r all these software installed(for eg it is program file by default in XP)

i know these question may sound stupid :)) but i dont know anything about linux , i am just practising

mehulved

QwertyManiac said:
Or compile a new kernel. www.ubuntuforums.com has a how-to on it. Daring souls can try it out. There would be no problems with your system surely, if the new kernel doesn't work, just reboot back into the old kernel. Here's the link *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=157560

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
led_shankar said:
BehenCh*** meri roz jhand hote rehti hai X(
Erm, same to you ? Well i didnt understand what you meant to say and that reply of mine was never meant against or to you...
t_y_f said:
Or compile a new kernel. www.ubuntuforums.com has a how-to on it. Daring souls can try it out. There would be no problems with your system surely, if the new kernel doesn't work, just reboot back into the old kernel. Here's the link *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=15756
Uh huh, why'd you quote me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom