Total Newbie for LINUX:Plzzzzz help me out guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
led_shankar said:
oh...you don't need to install it separately. The desktop env comes along with the distro.

for example...Ubuntu comes with gnome, Kubuntu comes with KDE and Xubuntu comes with Xfce

Ok Ok got it thats why its named like that..thnx man ..U guys r so much helping me out:p and one more question suppose i installed kubuntu and now i wanna get the GNome environment..can i do that

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@techbhai
the site says:

A computer with 1GHz processor and 256MB RAM (a configuration which is probably not even being offered by shops these days anymore) is perfectly sufficient for decent KDE performance.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
rakeshishere said:
Ok Ok got it thats why its named like that..thnx man ..U guys r so much helping me out:p and one more question suppose i installed kubuntu and now i wanna get the GNome environment..can i do that
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have GNOME, KDE and XFCE and even had enlightenment previously on my Ubuntu. But you will have to download it off the net.

mehulved

led_shankar said:
@techbhai
the site says:

A computer with 1GHz processor and 256MB RAM (a configuration which is probably not even being offered by shops these days anymore) is perfectly sufficient for decent KDE performance.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
not JUST his response to my question...but because his answers in this thread have been helping me....Why? Do you disagree? ;)

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
lol

I think the toughest part is UNlearning windows IMHO

techbhai you there? You got some nice link for resolving that issue?

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
the issue of dealing with differences between Windows and Linux

e.g. - file system is different ..... installing programs... is not like InstallShield programs in Windows etc..... Is there a link with info on all this in a neat format??

thanks

mehulved

Well the best way is to use the OS be it Linux, Windows, BSD or whatever. Besides, also check these threads *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3054, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24660, *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6478 and *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3154.
Also, joining a local LUG will help. See the list of LUG lists here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2775.
Also, read the newbies guide at www.tldp.org/guides.html

mehulved

@pathiks Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide, should be good to start with. No need to follow it by word cos things change with different distros as well as new versions of distros. What is necessary is to understand the basic underlying of the OS and all the commands and softwares that will come in handy for making effective use of linux.

Last edited:
OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
*theseoconsultant.com/suseblog_img/easiest_linux_guide_ever.pdf

Nice link dude.:p ...Read the whole book and understood so many things...:)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
well rakesh check this out as well, will help u in setting for machine like internet etc.

Configuring a New Linux System for newbies

if u don't understand anything in this guide. pls ask here!:)

OP
rakeshishere

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
gary4gar said:
well rakesh check this out as well, will help u in setting for machine like internet etc.

Configuring a New Linux System for newbies

if u don't understand anything in this guide. pls ask here!:)

If i have a dual boot --linux and xp..which distro will mount my partition automatically and in the previous link of the e-book i had read that in suse u need "Yast" to install any package but the link which u gave me tells "Suse has both apt and yum " which is required to install any packages:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom